Is Rory done?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really like Rory. I think he's a genuine, honest guy and would love to think different...but...as a real contender for being close to the best in the world out there - for me that's beyond him.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
In the last 3 years we've had Tiger win a major after plenty said he wouldn't win a tour event again, let alone one of the big 4 and Philly Mick win a major at 51. Yet some think Rory's done already. :unsure:

Even Rory is hinting that his best might be behind him, Tiger and Phil would never say anything like that.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been saying about Rory for ages just how many major winners there have been since he last won one

Spieth and brooks had zero majors when he last won.. they now have 7

He is a great player just hasn't kicked on like hoped

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the last 3 years we've had Tiger win a major after plenty said he wouldn't win a tour event again, let alone one of the big 4 and Philly Mick win a major at 51. Yet some think Rory's done already. :unsure:

It depends what people mean by 'done' I guess. Will he win more tournaments? I think sure. Will he win more majors ? Id say he will win one, and it could be any time over the next 10 years. He will very likely play in 4 or so more Ryder cups.
But will he reach the level again of being a steady world #1, winning every year, winning multiple tournaments per year, and winning several majors over a few year, I think not. He has dropped to a roughly world 15 level. World 15s win tournaments, and can win a major. But with age not on his side, I think it is far to say that the Rory of 10 years ago will not be back, and so from that aspect, he is done.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
He seems quite content with life. Maybe his priority isn't golf anymore.
I'm sure he'll be more than happy earning £20/30 million a year for another 10 years, picking up a few wins along the way.
I still think he's got another couple of Majors in him.

TigerBear

Visit site
He's been on the slide for a while. Younger, better golfers now on the scene.

So disappointing as I thought he was going to be one of the all time greats.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would it have been different if he just stuck with titleist, who knows?
his form dropped the minute he signed with Nike, but here’s the question:

Would he have been financially better off winning majors for titleist solely on prize money and personal sponsors, or was he better off signing the big sponsor money and winning less?

Arguably he’s now in a better position in respect of being a paid staffer for TM and have the big money sponsorship, but this has to have come at the cost of devaluing the “ Rory “ brand.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been saying about Rory for ages just how many major winners there have been since he last won one

Spieth and brooks had zero majors when he last won.. they now have 7

He is a great player just hasn't kicked on like hoped

It wasnt that long ago that people were asking the same questions about Spieth and whether he was 'done.'

As for Brooks, well he hasnt won a major for five minutes so he'll be next on the list for such questions I suppose.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends what people mean by 'done' I guess. Will he win more tournaments? I think sure. Will he win more majors ? Id say he will win one, and it could be any time over the next 10 years. He will very likely play in 4 or so more Ryder cups.
But will he reach the level again of being a steady world #1, winning every year, winning multiple tournaments per year, and winning several majors over a few year, I think not. He has dropped to a roughly world 15 level. World 15s win tournaments, and can win a major. But with age not on his side, I think it is far to say that the Rory of 10 years ago will not be back, and so from that aspect, he is done.

Maybe he had an extraordinary year in 2014 and has regressed back to something approaching the norm. I seem to recall that he dropped dramatically after winning the 2011 US Open before claiming the 2012 PGA. I get the impression that Rory will experience peaks and troughs in his career. How many players can sustain the sort of consistency that Woods and Nicklaus achieved afterall? If you reach the top early like Rory has then his career is likely to extend to 25 years, possibly further. There's bound to be times when things are not quite in sync. He's only 32, not 42, still plenty of time to win plenty.

Of course, he's not helped by all the hype about the Grand Slam every time the Masters comes around and, as has already been said, maybe other things apart from golf have become important but plenty of players have settled into family life and gone on to win plenty.

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rors has been my fav since he burst on the scene. He has made the money. On his day, he is a treat to watch.

…. But I haven’t seen ‘his day’ for years. Watching him standing on top of a 10 feet putt at the Ryder cup.. you now expect him to miss. Alas he does not disappoint.

Are his best days behind him? I hope not..

When you say he hasn’t seen his day for years, in 2019 pre-pandemic he was flying. Won Players championship, Canadian Open, WGC-Shanghai, fedex Cup, pga tour player of the year and then took world number 1 in 2020!

He should definitely have done more in majors and needs to sort these bad starts but the talk of done is ridiculous. How many players come back from adversity and a drop in rankings? Just so happens Rory’s crisis is falling to 15th in the world.

4LEX

Visit site
In golf terms Rory's issues are his first rounds in majors. Plus his poor wedge game and iffy putting.

I think the bigger issue is he knows he won't break any records now and theres a new generation coming through, his hunger is gone. He's made his fortune and is happy to pocket £25m a year from prize money and sponsorship and have a great life. I think The Masters is the only thing that really motivates him plus the Ryder Cup. I'm sure he'll hit top form again and hope he completes the Grand Slam.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a brilliant golfer doesn't forget how to play, it may be just be that the expectations were so high, anything less was seen as a failure.
I wouldn't mind being £5 behind him