Is it easier to be a left hander than a right hander in golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
Sorry if this is an obvious question (I am a novice) but I have noticed that bunkers tend to be short and right of the fairway quite often - I guess to catch the poor sliced drive from a right hander. Does this mean that lefties get away with more?!?!
Peter Drake

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe? All depends on the course set up and how they swing it. A LH hook is a RH slice!

They lose out on a lot though. Everything taught in youtube videos etc is always for a RH golfer, I cant imagine its easy to reverse the guidance every time to be left handed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The right handed golfer playing left handed has their dominant side in charge, so should be potentially better. Less equipment available to them, though.

I have never noticed that course design favoured one dexterity over the other.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Sorry if this is an obvious question (I am a novice) but I have noticed that bunkers tend to be short and right of the fairway quite often - I guess to catch the poor sliced drive from a right hander. Does this mean that lefties get away with more?!?!
Peter Drake
Our place has far more bunkers on the left than the right. I'm a fader, but I still find the bloody things on those holes!
I think it depends on the course, but it's also less about left or right handed and more about fader or hooker.

As mentioned, tuition and equipment are where lefties aren't well catered for.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Peter Drake
From my observations low handicappers tent to draw their shots whilst higher cappers tend to fade. In addition many older courses had the bunkers set to catch the better (longer hitters) but have been overtaken by the extra distances being made.
I can't say I noticed a bias when I used to do course rating.

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
The right handed golfer playing left handed has their dominant side in charge, so should be potentially better. Less equipment available to them, though.

I have never noticed that course design favoured one dexterity over the other.
It might not be a 'thing' - it just seemed that way when i walked the course
Peter Drake

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might not be a 'thing' - it just seemed that way when i walked the course
Peter Drake

I am sure there are some courses that favour one shape or another. Nicklaus courses, for example, probably have hole designs which favour a right-handed fade/left-handed draw, but I am sure there are others which prefer a right-handed draw/left-handed fade.

Last edited:

Tinkerman

Visit site
I'm a leftie with all my irons and woods but actually right handed. Also hold a cricket bat left handed. Everything else I do is right handed, including putting!

Getting equipment is an absolute nightmare and can never try mates new clubs and AG, Pro shops, etc never have a decent range of clubs. Tried to order a new Cobra GW from lefthandedgolf earlier this month and Cobra said the head wouldn't be available until May!

Local course I have played for years is mainly right to left with bunkers favouring the right so definitely have an advantage with shot shape. However I lose distance playing with a fade so end up with longer 2nd shots.

Recently joined another course where there are holes going both ways so I'm now working on hitting a consistent draw off the tee. Easier said than done after years of fading it!

Think yourself lucky that you're a rightie!

Tinkerman

Visit site
Oh yeah, no problems with YouTube tips, etc. It's actually like having a mirror image with the videos, which is how I understand Phil Mickelson learnt to play left handed - not from YouTube obviously but from copying his dad

Status
Not open for further replies.