Is a trolley worth it?

sunshine

Visit site
Am definitely looking at a push trolley now, hadn’t really considered electric until I read this thread- is it that much better?

Depends how hilly your course is. On a flat links course you can push a trolley along with one finger, obviously a different story if you're having to push it up steep hills.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'll chuck in something controversial here. Go for a remote control electric. To be able to stroll down the fairway with hands in pockets, instead of having to manoeuver a trolley round all the time, is sheer luxury. Next best thing to having a Caddie. Constantly holding the handle of a trolley puts the back in an unnatural position. Doing this for four hours plus takes its toll. On the occasions that I have been forced to use an ordinary trolley I couldn't wait to get back to the remote.

No negatives, apart from having to explain to my PPs that all I am doing with my hand in my pocket is operating the remote control. ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I tend to carry in the winter and use a half set. All other times though I use an electric trolley. There are quite a number of the younger lads at our club now use trolleys, either push or electric as it allows them to concentrate on the golf and still be less tired at the end of the round. Our course is pretty hilly and after seeing a number of members pushing their push trolleys up some of our slopes, I'm happy I'm with electric.
Also, it means I can carry stuff for any occasion (and in Scotland the seasons can change in an afternoon) without worrying about the extra weight tiring me out.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im late 30s now and have always been in the carry your bag for exercise camp....until this summer when my back has started getting really antsy about it and is not happy at all.

Am definitely looking at a push trolley now, hadn’t really considered electric until I read this thread- is it that much better?

YES !!!!

Brads

Visit site
I'm brand new to the sport but have said from the get go that under no circumstances will I carry a set of clubs.
I'm 53 with bulging discs etc etc and need a physio to put me back together every now and then.

My advice for someone of any age, is do not carry if you can use a trolley, I mean, why would you lol. You can even carry more beer with a trolley surely?.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a trolley in summer because of having to take plenty of water and waterproofs, plus a full set of clubs. In winter I only need a small amount of water and will often be wearing the waterproofs, so carry as it’s much easier to get around and no faff post-round. Plus, I only take 1 wedge in winter because I tend to fat the wedges in the mud!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've been considering the same. I've always carried as I always try to make a round of golf as much of an exercise as possible, however I'm sure it doesn't help concentration and scoring when you're stood over a shot, still knackered from the hill you've just walked up with 20kg on your back.

My main issue is the boot space I'd need to get the clubs and trolley in. I doubt I'd fit a trolley and clubs in my current car and I'm not a member of a club so I can't leave them anywhere either.

From reading your posts on here isn't Heaton Park your regular haunt? A trolley on there is much harder work than carrying in my experience!

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From reading your posts on here isn't Heaton Park your regular haunt? A trolley on there is much harder work than carrying in my experience!

Yeah it is! I'll save myself the money then.

I did see someone roll a buggy on the 17th a few years back so I imagine all forms of golf club transport come with their drawbacks.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yeah it is! I'll save myself the money then.

I did see someone roll a buggy on the 17th a few years back so I imagine all forms of golf club transport come with their drawbacks.
What on earth do you have in your bag if it weighs 20kg?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Electric is the only way imo

I wonder how much damage carrying does to the arm and shoulder that you use to lift the bag over the years that you do it. If it knocks a few years off your golf life is it worth carrying?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get 10 bags of cement then carry them from one end of your garden to the other end.
Then bring them all back using a wheel barrow.
What’s the easiest?
Trolley every day,
Electric if you can.
As you progress in golf you will accumulate as much crap in your bag as the rest of us making a trolley essential.

D

Deleted member 18588

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of totally unnecessary rubbish some folks cart around the course.

Clubs, six balls, waterproof jacket, couple of gloves and a drinks bottle. Surely that's all that's needed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Welcome to the forum me man.

Deffo a trolley. Bottom line which one.

If you are on a budget a push trolley.
If you can afford an electric one, get one. which in itself will create a which one problem.
If you can really afford it a remote control trolley.
However a PP has spent just short of 2 K on a remote, I played with him today and he has told me in Spanish that it is a 2 grand pile of crap on wheels. That’s another story.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't want to be rude but if you're in your mid twenties and getting worn out after a round of golf you need to improve your fitness and getting a trolley will not help you.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Don't want to be rude but if you're in your mid twenties and getting worn out after a round of golf you need to improve your fitness and getting a trolley will not help you.

I think walking 5- 7 miles twice a week will help towards fitness. Personally I think there is a time and place for carry bag and Trolleys. Me I will not go back to a bag.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think walking 5- 7 miles twice a week will help towards fitness. Personally I think there is a time and place for carry bag and Trolleys. Me I will not go back to a bag.
I don't know you but from your posts you would appear to be quite a distance from your twenties.
I am not knocking trolleys as such, and I use them but someone in their twenties who is tired after a round of golf has fitness issues.
My mother in law had to carry her bag last winter when trolleys were banned on her course in the wet and said she found it tiring but she is in her late eighties.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I don't know you but from your posts you would appear to be quite a distance from your twenties.
I am not knocking trolleys as such, and I use them but someone in their twenties who is tired after a round of golf has fitness issues.
My mother in law had to carry her bag last winter when trolleys were banned on her course in the wet and said she found it tiring but she is in her late eighties.
Deffo some distance from twenties ?. I think the problem is that a lot of folk have got into golf which is not a bad thing. But that involves walking some distance. Add onto that carrying a bag that can weigh 20lb plus and for someone that is not used to doing it, well it is initially a strain. I think if folk do get the golf bug. Fitness is something that some folk do look at especially if they want to improve. Me I enjoyed carrying, but a knackered ankle put paid to that.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Deffo some distance from twenties ?. I think the problem is that a lot of folk have got into golf which is not a bad thing. But that involves walking some distance. Add onto that carrying a bag that can weigh 20lb plus and for someone that is not used to doing it, well it is initially a strain. I think if folk do get the golf bug. Fitness is something that some folk do look at especially if they want to improve. Me I enjoyed carrying, but a knackered ankle put paid to that.
Indeed and I don't disagree with any of that.
But from a general health and well being point of view if you are young and getting tired out by a round of golf you are fairly unfit. Building fitness is useful not just from a health point of view but also for playing golf.
Carrying a bag at this stage is far more likely to be of benefit than detrimental.