Irish Craic Classic 2014 Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jesus those greens look wee at Farnam!!

Dodgy short game and ale could make them even smaller!:D

Image 1 and 2 the first hole. Looks like an easy straight forward hole from the tee box. Two straight shots are all you should need. Easier said than done. Drive is over the road and it is all uphill to very little run. Can be difficult to reach in two, especially if you miss the fairway from the drive.

Image 3 & 4 are the 2nd. Looks much easier in the pic than it is they are at the ladies tee there. Tree to the left and lots of rough right to a tight landing area mean you need to hit a straight drive. There is a bunker just down left that you can see which could catch a drive that draws round the tree. Any mistake with your drive and you are generally laying up and hoping to get up and down for par. Great hole.

image 5 & 6 is the 3rd. Water left and right and tree make around the tee box make it feel very tight. Has more bunkering to the rear than the pictures show.

image 7&8 is the 4th. A blind drive towards some tree right is the safe option but limits the second shot. Left is OOB. Best play is aim at the tree visible from the tee box and try to draw it in. Second shot need to be left or on target. Anything right or long is in the water.

image 9&10 is the par 3 5th. Not a bad little hole but usually into the wind.

image 11 is the 6th. You can just see the slope at top left. If there is run on the fairways then driver a little right is safe. If there is no run then the ball is likely to stop on a slope leaving a very awkward 2nd so a 3w to leave you short of the slope is a safer option. Green is well guarded with sand as can be seen.

Image 12 & 13 the 7th. Deceptive par 4 dog left right. lots of rough and sand to catch shots left. Water hazard catches anything to far right. Long second into the green which is also well guarded.

There are plenty of great holes after that. None of the bunkers are overly deep but they do all have grass growing around them as can be seen in the photos. That is by design and you are better of in the sand that around the bunker. Very very nice course but some long walks between green and tee. Really need a buggy to enjoy fully but the packages they do usually include one.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a guy who is a member at Baltray, and i could speak to my mate the pro and see if he could sort us out a decent deal somewhere, as he is quite friendly with the majority of the pros in that area. What dates are most suitable? I will give him a bell tomorrow.

July is best I think as schools are off and probably easier for most of us to get away on a Friday

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Portmarnock Hotel have come back with this.

Arrive Friday 18th July

2 nights B&B in their hotel with a round on their course and a round on The Island (subject to availability) €245.

Add on the cost of a round somewhere on the Friday and it adds up to quite an expensive weekend especially compared to the approximate €180 for Concra, Slieve Russell, Farnham and accommodation

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Arrive Friday 18th July

2 nights B&B in their hotel with a round on their course and a round on The Island (subject to availability) €245.

Add on the cost of a round somewhere on the Friday and it adds up to quite an expensive weekend especially compared to the approximate €180 for Concra, Slieve Russell, Farnham and accommodation

Ouch. Wallet no likey.

Last edited:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Arrive Friday 18th July

Asked yourgolftravel to quote for same deal and they came back with £229 so even dearer again

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Farnham is a lovely golf course, really well maintained and always in excellent nick.
I am happy to do any deal. Slieve Russell is also well regarded.
I do like Portmarknock links, its a cracking round of golf and nice hotel and that price to include the island is not bad at all.
remember you are in Dublin city and Not Donegal
PLus Tamangoes is good for the female scenery as is Gibneys in Malahide.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right more to add on the Concra/Cavan idea

Concra have an open on the first Friday of every month which is played from the black tees (championship)which is €35 euro for us GUI members and anyone who does travel over can play as a green fee (€40)

Farnham is €30 for the Saturday and Slieve Russell is €35 for the Sunday.

So I suggest the weekend of 4/5/6 of July

Friday- Concra Wood €35

Saturday- Farnham Estate €30

Sunday- Slieve Russell €35

Slieve Russell has their pro-am starting on the Monday so the course should be in tip top condition on the Sunday, I've spoke to them and they are taking visitors the on the Sunday so no worries about it being closed ahead of the pro-am.

Accommodation at one of the B&Bs earlier in the thread for two nights is €60

So a grand total of €160 for the 3 rounds of golf and accommodation.

How does that sound?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Concra have an open on the first Friday of every month which is played from the black tees (championship)which is €35 euro for us GUI members and anyone who does travel over can play as a green fee (€40)

Friday- Concra Wood €35

Slieve Russell has their pro-am starting on the Monday so the course should be in tip top condition on the Sunday, I've spoke to them and they are taking visitors the on the Sunday so no worries about it being closed ahead of the pro-am.

How does that sound?

Sounds Excellent Steve .. good job mate

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Friday- Concra Wood €35

How does that sound?

I am in for that for sure what we doing about deposits then.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok talking about this tonight and another possible scenario has raised it's head.

Friday Concrawood on Friday 4th July €35 (€40 for non G.U.I) members.

Saturday Lough Erne. £50 (approx €60) per head if we can get even four balls. This includes buggies. Uneven groups and the cost would go up a little. eg 2 3balls would cost £54. This would require non refundable prepayment of fees to be able to book it.

Sunday. Slieve Russell €35.

Then either choice to stay in Cavan at €60.

Or somewhere closer to Slieve Russell in Ballyconnell for around €90.

Fom Cavan the drive to Lough Erne is nearly an hour. Drive to Slieve Russell from Cavan is about 30 minutes.

To stay in Cavan then the cost increase is about €30 to include Lough Erne. Stay in Ballyconnell but with a little less driving would be about €60 more.

So

Option 1. Concra, Farnham, Slieve Russell stay in Cavan = €160
Option 2. Concra, Lough Erne, Slieve Russell stay in Cavan = €190
Option 3. Concra, Lough Erne, Slieve Russell stay in Ballyconnell. €220

We'd need to have choices made in a week or two. Then deposit (tbd) in by end of month to get this all booked, especially if you want option 2 or 3.

Also this is not one big take it or leave it package. If you only want to stay one night or play one course options are available because we aren't tied to a package deal. You will have a lot more craic if you stay at least one night though.

Last edited:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tell him to bring extra balls for the practice area lol

Im so glad I was worried there wasn't going to be another craic classic

Im easy as I've only played 3 courses over the boarder and they were last year lop

So can we put you down as a definite then?

Looking like the Concra/Cavan plan but still open to ideas and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.