Ireland

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
well me and missis Tash got back a couple of hours ago from a fantastic fives days in the emerald isle.

Landed at Knock on Sunday and thought we had arrived at Biggin Hill. It was raining. Picked car up no probs and set off to Ballina. It was within about twenty secs of getting on the road that i realised there is as many tractors in Ireland as there are cars. Ged somebody or other had his tractor run and we passed 53 tractors in about 3 miles.
Accommodation was fantastic ( The lodge at Dillons), the bar and food was even better. I discovered something called " Seafood chowder" it is sublime, for someone that only has seafood that has batter on it, it was a revelation. The second revelation was a pint of : Smithwicks" this was closely followed by many more smithwicks.
Monday was 18 holes at Carne GC which was a fantastic links course. This was followed by a drive down to Westport, a beautiful town. It was at this point that stumbled across something called the "Wild atlantic way" in essence someone in Ireland has nominated A,B,C roads, tractor tracks, and sometimes footpaths as roadways as a designated beautiful drive. Whoever it was has earned his money for a thousand years. everyday drive was just stunning, and i mean stunning. In the five days we were there I drove 850 km and enjoyed every km. Mr Smithwick was waiting for me when we got back.

Tuesday, I had run off a route map for Achill island and the Corraun peninsular. Now i had read that Ireland has the highest cliffs in europe, but nothing can prepare you for the raw beauty of this part of Ireland. we had a drive up Mweelin mountain/hill i think it was called which rewards you with jaw dropping views over Achill. The noise from the wind up there was deafening. At Achil, there must be more sheep than people and whilst there there was a comp at chill GC. It was quite funny seeing all the greens fenced off to keep the sheep out. Tuesday night we had an amble into Ballina and we found one the nicest pubs i have been in " The Broken Jug". Mr Smithwick introduced himself once more.

Wednesday, i played Enniscrone GC and the course was every bit as good as Carne. Some of the holes once more were just memorably gorgeous. After the round we had another drive back into Ballina, picking up the Wild Atlantic way heading towards "Down Patricks Head" past Carne GC and finishing just past Aghleam overlooking Achill. That evening was spent saying my cheerios to Mr Smithwick helped along the way with a seafood pie. Oh Lordy lordy.

This morning we had a drive to Foxford and Swinford before departing Biggin Hill for East Midlands in what was a fantastic five days.

Conclusion, Ireland is like the UK of the 80's, Very family orientated, life seems more simplistic and relaxed, The roads are a lot lot quieter. Car users stop to let pedestrians cross, especially the elderly. They have Barry tea, Smithwicks, excellent food and hospitality, football and GAA pitches everywhere. Houses with half an acre of land seems the norm. Scenery to die for. Mr and Missis T have another fave holiday destination now.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love Ireland. Went over quite a bit a few years back and loved the atmosphere etc, especially once you get away from Dublin when its more rural. Me and Mrs Tongo honeymooned in county Kerry and had a cracking time going round the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle peninsula. I'd go back in a heartbeat but Mrs T isn't kean cos of the weather!

Good to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the same things that make me love Ireland so much.

U

User62651

Ashamed to say I've never been over, living in the Scottish Highlands and Argyll most of my life I have got it in my head that'll it'll be just like round here - celtic culture, mountainous and wet - if I go over it would be a busmans holiday in effect, so look further afield come holiday time. Daft I know.:p
Must do better - Guiness brewery tour in Dublin would be a definite highlight for me.:thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Jeez you don't half get about Mr T (I assume all your houseplants are long dead)

Good to hear you enjoyed the trip

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
a good trip then Tashy.
been over the sea to ireland a couple of times ,not for golf but for the fishing ,awesome comes to mind ,a cracking place to visit a the people are so friendly .go to any pub and the craic is just nonstop.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Jeez you don't half get about Mr T (I assume all your houseplants are long dead)

Good to hear you enjoyed the trip

Fortunately me lad was at home for the five days,unfortunately he dosent do watering so yup there not looking good.

off to Doncaster races tomorrow and stopping over night.