investing in The future of golf fitness in Germany"s top golf club

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
"Fitness plays a massive part in golf..."

Rubbish, utter tripe!

I'm 75lbs overweight. I have arthritis in my hip, lower back and neck. I have angina and a leaky mitral valve. I had bowel cancer late 2017, early 2018 and getting over it is proving a challenge. I am the absolute picture of unhealthiness.

Guess what? I can play 18 holes no bother at all. If I look back through my scores for the last year, since retiring, they have improved to the extent I shot my first below par round, gross, for 3 years and I'm picking up money almost every week. I can't remember my last round in the 80's but I'll hazard a guess it was 9 months ago at least. Par 5, 18th hole today I had no trouble hitting a #4 hybrid into the green from 190yds - did I think about aching legs or joints? Don't be silly, its golf not rugby.

Now if you want a debate on whether or not I'll set county records at 200M and 400M ever again, or I'll play rugby or football in the same day I'll agree with your premise that fitness will play a massive part.

i'm inclined to agree with you Hobbit old boy. like you i'm overweight and have limited flexibility in my right shoulder have a bad knee and back not to mention being in my mid 50's.

i played the Nairn Dunbar medal today off the full tee's, which is 6800 yards, carrying a full set of clubs, in 74 shots gross (par 72 SSS 74)

fitness was not involved at all and my lack of it didn't really matter, though i do feel a little shagged out now;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Healthy cut coming your way Patrick. Imagine how much better your score could have been though by being a gym bunny!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Healthy cut coming your way Patrick. Imagine how much better your score could have been though by being a gym bunny!
sadly not dear boy as we are winter members we can't win, only twos and sweep..... not to mention its a NQ;)

might not have helped my score dear boy, but might have got round quicker:LOL::LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

I would imagine 99% of people would wish to be healthier or fitter, sometimes we have no choice though and do the best we can.

Some will be here today because of their fitness or lifestyle while they were younger.

Just be grateful were here today and doing whatever you can.

You’re a long time dead!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many would play the game if everyone was expected to be the gym rat and look like Arnie in his pomp?.

On the flip side, I remember a few years ago doing an American golf coach telling me he would not let his young kids play the game until their bodies had fully stopped growing as the damage done was too severe. On that note, you have to wonder how many injuries to amateur/ elite amateur players might happen if they alll gym ratted as well.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you have no option when it comes to health though!

It is true that some people are always going to have advantages or disadvantages. Some people are more naturally strong or mobile than others without training, others are predisposed to inflammation or have other negative conditions. All we can ever try to be is the best we can be.

I wonder how many would play the game if everyone was expected to be the gym rat and look like Arnie in his pomp?.

On the flip side, I remember a few years ago doing an American golf coach telling me he would not let his young kids play the game until their bodies had fully stopped growing as the damage done was too severe. On that note, you have to wonder how many injuries to amateur/ elite amateur players might happen if they alll gym ratted as well.

Most elite players are gym rats, not sure why this would be perceived to increase injury. I believe most studies say the opposite and that being in good condition reduces injury rates. Amongst golfers, most studies show elites suffer overuse injuries more than anything else and non-elites suffer injuries from compensations\overstraining to achieve positions they are not capable of.

No one has to be huge or ripped, just work towards improving strength, mobility, posture etc.. to the best of their capabilities. I do believe at the elite level athleticism is really going to become a big thing. Not that long ago, 110mph swing speed made you a big hitter, now you have to be 120mph and we are already seeing some capable of 130mph emerging. Soon this is effectively going to be a requirement to even compete at the top level.

Although hypothetically if golf did require a more athletic build to play it, it might appeal more to the young, and also might put off a lot of unfit people, leaving the rest of us to play 2hr30 rounds! ;)

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't doubt I could hit it further with better flexibility, but how much difference will it make? I'm still hitting a 7 iron into a 150yd par 3, as I was 35 years ago. How many par 4's can't I reach in 2 now? How many par 5's can I hit in 2 now? BTW, my eagle count last year was up there with my best.

What we have, in my opinion, is a fitness 'v' skill discussion. I don't believe improving fitness will make any real difference to my skill level. However, what I do ensure is I take onboard fuel for the round and have enough fluid in the bag.

Golf, to a large extent, and in my opinion, isn't a fitness dependent sport like rugby etc.

If this is true, why do (ignoring the rare exceptions) women and men not play in the same tournaments from the same tees? Does the female gender predispose a person to naturally have less golf skill?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Fitness isn’t necessary to play and enjoy golf.
But if you don’t have good genes, and want to play at the top... your going to need fitness to compete.
There’s playing golf, then there’s PLAYING golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bet if you were both fitter,healthier and more flexible you would be better players.
it depends if your fit for golf or fit for another sport.
I know a pro rugby player and he is hopeless at golf , the club looks like a match stick in his hands.
He is so muscular he has no finesse.
But I would not like to be hit by him at full speed he would kill me.

But do agree good golfers would be better if fitter.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If this is true, why do (ignoring the rare exceptions) women and men not play in the same tournaments from the same tees? Does the female gender predispose a person to naturally have less golf skill?

You’re ignoring the predisposition of how each gender is built and being far too simplistic in your views. What times do elite males and elite females set for the 100m? Obviously there is a gender difference and you know there is.

There’s superfit people who are rubbish golfers and very unfit people who are good golfers.

Obviously a level of strength will have a bearing at a basic level but when you look at how slim many of the elite ladies are and how far they hit it you’ve got to come to the conclusion that timing and skill sets them apart.

But equally I can’t see Aphibarnrat, Woosnam or Laura Davies running for a bus but they are, or were, up there with the best.

But golf isn’t a marathon, nor is it a 100m sprint, nor 50 snatch, clean and jerk. It’s a 4 hour walk in the countryside with a bit of aerobics thrown in for a laugh. A bit of gym work will improve flexibility and will add some yards but will it make that much difference in golf?