Introducing Myself

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi, just signed up so I thought I'd introduce myself. Feel free to skip over if random nobodies talking about their lives isn't your thing. :D

I started playing golf at 14, used to go out with my dad and mum for a few years, but through my early and mid twenties I didn't play much, probably two or three times a year tops. I'm 30 now though, and for the last two-ish years I've really got back into it, nowadays I try and play once a week if I can. Bit difficult at the moment as I play football weekends as well, but all through summer I was playing every weekend.

The stage I'm at now is that I'm usually scoring under 100 unless I have a shocking round. Last weekend I got my personal best score of 93, which was also remarkable in that I managed a front nine of 42, before not really being able to sustain that over the back nine. The par for this course was 69. (Thorney Park in West Drayton if anyone knows it!)

Clubs: I recently got a new set of irons for my 30th birthday, they are Callaway Warbirds, 5 to SW. It's taken me a while to get used to them obviously, but they're starting to come good now, especially the 5 and 6 which I initially struggled with, and the SW which I was hitting some really nice short chips with on that last round. I have a 3 and 5 wood from my old Slazenger set (must be a decade old), I've felt no need to replace them because they still feel really nice. The driver is shocking though, I hate it because it's 10 degrees loft and I can't hit a damn thing with it - I've actually ordered myself a second hand 12 degree Yonex Nanospeed driver which is arriving next week. I've also got a Mitsushiba 7 wood - it was my dad's club, probably knocking on 15 years old, but we were at the driving range one day and he told me to give it a go - I promptly hit some beautiful shots off the mat with it, to both of our surprise, so he said I could keep it! My putter is an ancient Ping one that one of my mates gave me because he didn't need it.

This Christmas I plan to join a club for the first time, along with a mate of mine who's slightly better than me (he generally beats me by a handful of shots). So I've never had a handicap before, and I'm interested to see how it all works to be honest. The one I'm thinking of joining is Haste Hill in Northwood (again, if anyone knows it), it's only £100 a year so I'm not throwing too much away if it turns out being a golf club member isn't for me.

Too long didn't read version: crap golfer but still love playing and improving, about to join a golf club for the first time. Exciting times.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and back to golf. Thanks for the update and good luck moving forwards.

I am sure I have played Haste Hill but just cant picture it. I grew up in Chalfont so close to that way.

Are you sure membership is £100 a year?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it's £100, but that's membership alone, you still have to pay all your green fees on top of that of course. They just manage your handicap and you can enter competitions and so on. The course itself is a public course.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it's £100, but that's membership alone, you still have to pay all your green fees on top of that of course. They just manage your handicap and you can enter competitions and so on. The course itself is a public course.

What a cool model.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most play and play courses offer similar.

Welcome to the forum Orikoru!

Or even some more prestigious places like Carnoustie ;), think you can get an annual pass for Haste Hill that also includes Ruislip and one other course so then it might be good value depending on how often you get out.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

I know Thorney Park and the area quite well. Used to play Farnham and Wexham a fair bit which isn't too far from there.

Thorney Park used to a be a nine holer when I played there, nice enough track. Never played Haste Hill although it's on the NAPGC circuit with the likes of Blue Mountain ( where I was a member) .

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Orikuru, it's Clem Fandango can you hear me?

Welcome aboard chap, i too left the game for the best part of 20 years and don't regret a moment of coming back, every year I get a little better and a little more obsessed. You are in good company here. Well, company anyway. Sort of.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or even some more prestigious places like Carnoustie ;), think you can get an annual pass for Haste Hill that also includes Ruislip and one other course so then it might be good value depending on how often you get out.
You can yes, but I'm not a big fan of Ruislip (quite a boring course), and the third one is Uxbridge which is only a 12 hole, which I find awkward and weird. :D

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can yes, but I'm not a big fan of Ruislip (quite a boring course), and the third one is Uxbridge which is only a 12 hole, which I find awkward and weird. :D

Only played Ruislip once ages ago im junior league and remember being told not to let myself be intimidated if the locals decide to shoot at us with bb guns

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

I know Thorney Park and the area quite well. Used to play Farnham and Wexham a fair bit which isn't too far from there.

Thorney Park used to a be a nine holer when I played there, nice enough track. Never played Haste Hill although it's on the NAPGC circuit with the likes of Blue Mountain ( where I was a member) .

Wexham Park is where I used to play with parents years ago. I went back there in May of this year for my football team's golf day, and they've changed it all. Used to have an 18 and two 9s, but they got rid of one of the 9s to incorporate some of the holes into a new lay-out of the 18. So only half of it was familiar. Still a nice course though. Thorney Park is really nice, the back nine is on the other side of the road, so yeah they obviously added that later. And I think you can still play just the front 9 as a 9 holer if you want.

Hi Orikuru, it's Clem Fandango can you hear me?

Welcome aboard chap, i too left the game for the best part of 20 years and don't regret a moment of coming back, every year I get a little better and a little more obsessed. You are in good company here. Well, company anyway. Sort of.

Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango! Haha, Toast of London is great.

I don't know if approaching and then turning 30 had anything to do with it, but I just got really strongly back into it in the last couple of years. I say the thing about turning 30, because I know I won't be able to carry on playing football for more than another 4 or 5 years probably, but golf is something you can keep on playing whatever your age.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only played Ruislip once ages ago im junior league and remember being told not to let myself be intimidated if the locals decide to shoot at us with bb guns

Haha. Not had that trouble yet. I've played there a few times this year because it's local and fairly cheap, but as I say, I find it quite boring. It's all quite straight and flat, and not too many interesting holes. My favourite local courses this year have been Thorney Park, Haste Hill and Rickmansworth.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome!

I grew up in Hillingdon, used to play Ruislip & the 9-hole Wexham Park course (the one which was across the road) as a young teenager too with my Dad.

My brother in law and his brother were members at Thorney as kids. They still say it's a great course!

Which football team do you play for?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome!

I grew up in Hillingdon, used to play Ruislip & the 9-hole Wexham Park course (the one which was across the road) as a young teenager too with my Dad.

My brother in law and his brother were members at Thorney as kids. They still say it's a great course!

Which football team do you play for?
Yeah, Thorney is really nice. Especially for only 20-odd quid or whatever it is. Although there was a bizarre plague of ladybirds there on Friday! It was a bit mad.

Mercian Utd on Saturdays (East Berkshire League) and Surely Wood on Sundays (Harrow Sunday Challenge League). Both are crap. :D

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, Thorney is really nice. Especially for only 20-odd quid or whatever it is. Although there was a bizarre plague of ladybirds there on Friday! It was a bit mad.

Mercian Utd on Saturdays (East Berkshire League) and Surely Wood on Sundays (Harrow Sunday Challenge League). Both are crap. :D

With all that football how do you find time to golf??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, like I said in my first post, I was playing all through summer before the footy season started. Since it has started I was managing to fit 9 holes in on the Sunday afternoons (since Sunday footy is 10.30 kick-off). Now the clocks have gone back though, I'll only be able to play on the days when we don't have matches at all. Sunday League has an odd number of teams so there will be weeks when we don't have a game. We've already played more games than some of the other teams too.