Intersting Reading

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK the truth is I'm bored. HID is catching up on the soaps and there is nothing on telly so I thought I'd go through my stats on scoresaver2. Makes interesting reading

May 11 rounds played
Fairways hit 47% (target 44%)
Green in regulation 24% (19%)
Putts per round 33.27 (33%)
Sand saves 9% (12%)
Birdie conversion 13% (14%)
Par scrambles 19% (21%)

June 8 rounds played
Fairways hit 53% (target 44%)
Green in regulation 30% (19%)
Putts per round 31.75(33%)
Sand saves 27% (12%)
Birdie conversion 9% (14%)
Par scrambles 28% (21%)

Year to date
Fairways hit 50% (target 44%)
Green in regulation 25% (19%)
Putts per round 33.63 (33%)
Sand saves 18% (12%)
Birdie conversion 10% (14%)
Par scrambles 20% (21%)

And what does all this tell me. Well clearly all my work on my short game is paying dividends and I am sinking more putts and making more up and downs from off the green and the sand.

In the last month my shots into the greens have been more accurate as has my driving which is largely down to the lesson I had with my pro getting me to turn and swing on a better plane.

The only downside is that when I do hit the green I am either too far from the hole to make a realistic birdie or having made enough putts.

And the point? I can use this information in conjunction with my pro to focus on getting it closer from the fariways (more work needed on mid and short irons). It goes to show the benefits of keeping these kind of stats to work out where the major flaws are.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Homer - since most of your stats are better than they should be for your handicap does this not indicate that your handicap should be dropping. However, I gather from other posts that you have not broken your h/cap so far this year.

Not sure this is really going to be resolved by just hitting your irons nearer the hole.

Do you keep your medal stats seperate from your normal play stats, because a comparison between these may be more revealing.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting point about targetting areas where to concentrate on.
When I started posting on here my putting was CRAP but I was hitting on ave 11 fairways in reg and 12 greens in reg. This hit home when I shot an 85 with 41 putts.

I concentrated on the putting, bought another new putter that I absolutely love (Rife 2 bar) and i've managed to knock 10 putts off my ave. Trouble is i've neglected the other areas and now i'm missing far too many fairways and my G.I.R. as dropped so scores have stayed fairly static.
I just don't think that I can put the time in on ALL my game to do myself justice.

P.S. I too am bored as I have a day off work and can't tee off until 10am as there is a seniors comp on first thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Murph

Interesting point. It is true that I haven't played to my handicap competitively this year (8 medal and stableford rounds out of a total of 35 rounds) and apart from 2 x 26 points and 1 x 25 I have been hovering around the net 71-74 (or 33 to 35 points) mark and been in the buffer zone.

I think I'm a bit unrealistic as this time last year was the start of my purple patch coming down from 20 to 13 with two wins, two seconds and a third between June and December.

In the other rounds (mostly roll ups) I only beat my handicap (37 points) once from January to April. However since then I have played under more times than not. Not sure if I am trying too hard now in competitions or if I am just beginning to find some form after a slow start. Haven't played since June 13th but I'm not hitting it well on the practice ground or range so Saturday should be interesting.

I just thought I'd use the scoresaver system to share my stats and see what people think really. Thanks for the reply though - interesting point well made

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I also have not played that well recently, and have only played 2 medals so far this year (net 70, and an unmentionable).
Found a bit of form on thursday playing Moor Park High course (superb course, and amazing mansion for the club house - very posh), so have entered the medal on Sunday, and another one the Sunday after.

Good luck in your medal Homer.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Here are my stats for the year so far. I haven't played particularly well (no cuts in handicap, a couple of buffer zones and 3 increases on 0.1). A disappointing stat for me this year is the % of holes where I score par or better. This year it is 37%. I've been around 50% in previous years.

Fairways Hit: 54% (Hcap Std: 9)
Greens In Reg: 27% (Hcap Std: 11)
Putts Per Round: 33.22 (Hcap Std: 15)
Sand Saves: 9% (Hcap Std: 20)
Birdie Conversion: 13% (Hcap Std: 16)
Par Scrambles: 19% (Hcap Std: 16)
Driving Distance: 240 (Hcap Std: 7)
Penalties Per Round: 1.21 (Hcap Std: 13)

Rounds Recorded: 22
Date Range: Current Year: 01/01/2008 to 26/06/2008
Produced by Scoresaver 2. www.scoresaver.co.uk

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems to me (referring to Homer, not SS2) that your birdie conversions and par scrambles are the only things keeping you from shaving those extra few strokes off to get you bang on h'cap or less. Smarten these up and hit a few more greens and you'll be in great shape.

You know I'm totally unconvinced by the whole "averaging out" of figures. Everyone is different. Personally, having seen you play, I can't believe you are only hitting 25% GIR (although that is supposedly good!)....that's 4.5 per round. I'm aiming for 7 or 8 off only 2.7 less than you.