International Amateur Events

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Random question for handicap gurus.

Currrently when elite amateurs play international events (such as the US Amateur, French Amateur etc) are their handicaps adjusted based on their performance in the stroke play rounds?

Secondly, Once we have the new handicap system do we think their will be more ‘normal’ Amateur open events at courses around the world?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first part will depend on the status of the organisers relative to the players holdibg handicap authority - which twnds to mean that they don't currently impact handicap, only WAGR points/status. This may change going forwards.
Can't see any change in your second part going forwards

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Random question for handicap gurus.

Currrently when elite amateurs play international events (such as the US Amateur, French Amateur etc) are their handicaps adjusted based on their performance in the stroke play rounds?

Secondly, Once we have the new handicap system do we think their will be more ‘normal’ Amateur open events at courses around the world?
As Duncan says - they should do but often don't - although to be fair I did see some American players entering their scores into their phone apps at the British Seniors recently.

Going forward I think the biggest leveller will be the ability of any player to play acceptable rounds that count to handicap which are outside the traditional qualifiers. I often hear the phrase "vanity handicaps" used by some players who keep their handicaps low by playing early season in great conditions on scorable courses to get their handicaps down to make the ballot. Surprisingly they often struggle in elite competition.