Info golf trip in Aberdeenshire

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys,

we are organizing a golf trip next Summer to the Aberdeenshire. Currently we have:
  • Royal Aberdeen on Friday
  • Cruden Bay on Saturday
  • Elie on the way back to EDI on Sunday

Since Murcar has a golf tournament so we cannot play, do you suggest other courses in the area to pair with Cruden Bay? Fraserburgh maybe?

Thank you for all the suggestions
iMak

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was very tempted to try to squeeze in a round at Fraserburgh on the recent forum trip to Aberdeen but it didn't work out, looks really nice. Don't forget the Trump course in Aberdeen as well if it fits your budget.

Scratch lefty

Medal Winner
Visit site
Newburgh is a change, not lavish and a few gimme holes but it's scoreable.

Nairn if you were up Peterhead way.

I presume it's links courses you prefer to play?

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was very tempted to try to squeeze in a round at Fraserburgh on the recent forum trip to Aberdeen but it didn't work out, looks really nice. Don't forget the Trump course in Aberdeen as well if it fits your budget.

I would pass on the Trump course since I would like to play courses with more history before and I find it too expensive, maybe another time! Thanks!

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Newburgh is a change, not lavish and a few gimme holes but it's scoreable.

Nairn if you were up Peterhead way.

I presume it's links courses you prefer to play?

Yes, I would prefer to play links courses but I consider also parklands if you think there are some worth the trip :) Nairn is a bit too far for us, we will stay there only 3 full days!

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would highly recommend Fraserburgh, just the 1st and 18th are a bit bland. The rest is very very good and every bit an equal to Murcar imo

Thanks! I read some good reviews about Murcar but some also say some holes are a bit of a letdown, so maybe is a good idea to play Fraseburgh instead!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Murcar is a little cracker, but I think Cruden is better.

If you wanted somewhere in between, I'd consider Downfield (in Dundee) and halfway from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.
I enjoyed it more than Ladybank, even though most prefer the other way around.

Gleneagles is also a consideration, and you may possibly get a twilight deal. The Ryder cup course is the marquee course but I loved the Kings course, which has more history to it.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Edzell or Montrose are worth a try. I wouldn't recommend Downfield.

Clive i played Downfield a few weeks ago and it was in fantastic condition , the greens had been hollow tined and sanded that is to be expected tho, its does get very boggy at this time of year tho but there have been doing some work to the drainage

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Murcar is a little cracker, but I think Cruden is better.

If you wanted somewhere in between, I'd consider Downfield (in Dundee) and halfway from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.
I enjoyed it more than Ladybank, even though most prefer the other way around.

Gleneagles is also a consideration, and you may possibly get a twilight deal. The Ryder cup course is the marquee course but I loved the Kings course, which has more history to it.

thank you for the suggestion, I was lucky to play Kings a couple of years ago, what a great experience! Would like to play the Queens before the PGA ;) since I already been there I was looking for a different venue! Will check Downfield (never heard of it) and Ladybank (I read is great!)