• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So how do you get the low earners, benefit busters and free loaders in the most deprived areas who are desperate for independence paying more tax? Lots of these people have been born into deprivation, they know no other means of life and have no interest in getting a job and bettering themselves. I live in one of those areas and believe me it's not pretty.

Sounds very scathing that paragraph but it's the reality in many parts of Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow and many other parts of Scotland it's every day life

...and elsewhere

But I will add that my sister is the carer for her disabled husband. They get a total of £94/week from the state - plus their little one bed house and a contribution towards their council tax. And out of their £13.43 a day they have to live and pay all their bills. The welfare state is good to have - but it isn't that good - and not actually much of a scroungers paradise for many. And so when food and other costs start to go up due to Brexit - they have to find the additional cost out of their fixed £13.43 a day.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For some that are working now. Costs have gone up. Missis t has just told me she has a 1% pay rise to look forward to. Smart, inflation is at 2.5%.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What's quite neat with my sister and hubby is that they live in Arran. And how much is the ferry to the mainland - £7 each return. So their £13.43 isn't even enough to get them to the mainland for a cheaper shop in the Ardrossan Asda. Austerity...bring it on - but are we all really in it together?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's quite neat with my sister and hubby is that they live in Arran. And how much is the ferry to the mainland - £7 each return. So their £13.43 isn't even enough to get them to the mainland for a cheaper shop in the Ardrossan Asda. Austerity...bring it on - but are we all really in it together?

I don't believe for 1 minute they live on £94 for the 2 of them, to be honest I'd be surprised if it's as low as £94 each

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...and elsewhere

But I will add that my sister is the carer for her disabled husband. They get a total of £94/week from the state - plus their little one bed house and a contribution towards their council tax. And out of their £13.43 a day they have to live and pay all their bills. The welfare state is good to have - but it isn't that good - and not actually much of a scroungers paradise for many. And so when food and other costs start to go up due to Brexit - they have to find the additional cost out of their fixed £13.43 a day.
Since September 2016 the Scottish Government have been given powers to supplement welfare payments in Scotland. Why have they not improved the money your relatives receive if it's so low.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looked like she was auditioning for googlebox

That post will take some topping today :clap:

I know she was attempting to look relaxed and casual but that doesn't work when you keep on your jacket. Who snuggles up, relaxed on a sofa in a work jacket? If you are going to stage a photo then put some thought into it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since September 2016 the Scottish Government have been given powers to supplement welfare payments in Scotland. Why have they not improved the money your relatives receive if it's so low.

Their benefits have only just in the last month been cut under PIP (from £146/week to £94/week - so by about a 3rd) The Scottish government may not be aware of the impact of PIP on payments. So time will tell.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the other thread seems dailymash links have returned...
Didn't realise how much I had missed them...

Can someone please post a wingsover link here...
As I need cheering up and they never fail in making me smile ;)...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Next time you watch it look at how the vicar sits, the two incredibly dim young women from Leeds and the odd other person (all women for some reason). It is an identical pose.

Does the vicar not sit tucked up on her sofa? Or have I missed a Sturgeon picture showing wee Nicola cuddling up to her hubby on the sofa - as she wasn't cuddling up to 'Mother' Theresa

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't believe for 1 minute they live on £94 for the 2 of them, to be honest I'd be surprised if it's as low as £94 each

They get £94/week. Honest. For the two of them. In addition they get their wee house rent paid and most of their council tax. They have a pretty darned miserable life and have no money to do anything 'nice'. Their only upside is that they live in Brodick - though as mentioned it costs them a days allowance to get to the mainland for a cheap shop in the Ardrossan Asda,

PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

You could get between £21.80 and £139.75 a week.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

Carer's Allowance

You could get £62.10 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

My sister is deemed to not need to care for her husband 35 hours a week and so the £62 is prorata'd down.

The total weekly benefit they receive is £94/week

I think the carer element is about £30 and PIP is £64

<£14/day - oh the scrougers off the state that they are

Last edited:
U

User62651

That post will take some topping today :clap:

I know she was attempting to look relaxed and casual but that doesn't work when you keep on your jacket. Who snuggles up, relaxed on a sofa in a work jacket? If you are going to stage a photo then put some thought into it.

yes have to agree but the jacket matched the sofa colour which made it look staged to me more than the jacket itself, my house is fundamentally cold so I'll readily sit with a jacket on sometimes.
Think it all started late 90s when Tony Blair came out to talk to the press at No. 10 with mug of tea in hand and unbuttoned shirt! - "Hey folks I'm just like you" kind of a deal. They've all been at it with overly-staged photos since, some better than others at it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maxfli - Nearly every picture on the net and in newspapers are posed now. From a celeb leaving a restaurant to one working out in a park or lying on a beach in a bikini. Politicians are the same, except poor old Ed of course. Remember George's "I'm one of you eating a burger whilst writing the budget" (except it was a gourmet burger that was stupidly expensive). The White House have been releasing stage pictures for years and we are now catching up. We all know they are staged, all parties do it. Staging a photo to look relaxed when it is staged and so anything but relaxed looks artificially awkward to me. The jacket just adds to the artificial element.

As it happens the whole fall out from Brexit means that no matter how loud NS jumps up and down she is not going to be heard. There are bigger fish to fry and air time and column inches are going to be based east to Europe and not North to Scotland. If I was advising NS I would tell her to drop Indy2 until Brexit has occurred. Keep your head down, run Scotland and look like a statesman. Work Europe, meet leaders, lay the groundwork. Then when Brexit has been completed start shouting again. She just looks petulant at the moment and I don't think the last week has done her any favours.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the other thread seems dailymash links have returned...
Didn't realise how much I had missed them...

Can someone please post a wingsover link here...
As I need cheering up and they never fail in making me smile ;)...

.......but will you still be laughing after this?

63% +3 years for my younger wife....60% +3 for me.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/tory-calculator/