• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
She does indeed. And I think she will because she thinks (probably correctly) that Scots will vote to stay in the UK and that will truly be it done for 25yrs.

Yes, but that is what was stated last time. After another No vote there will simply be another "game changing moment" that will justify another vote. The whole reason for the SNP is to have Scotland outside of the UK. Another No vote wont stop that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, but that is what was stated last time. After another No vote there will simply be another "game changing moment" that will justify another vote. The whole reason for the SNP is to have Scotland outside of the UK. Another No vote wont stop that.

Not so sure. That said - if Indyref2 rejects independence and 5 yrs down the line the post-Brexit UK economy is in a mess - with knock on impact on Scotland - I am sure there will be renewed calls.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hahahaha - you haven't listened to many Leave voters have you ....

And if the Tories had stuck to their manifesto promise of safeguarding the UK position in the single market then Indyref2 wouldn't be happening.
Maybe you can show us where their manifesto said that. I have looked through it a few times and cannot see it. What they did say in it was:

"We will legislate in the first session of the next Parliament for an in-out referendum to be held on Britain’s membership of the EU before the end of 2017. We will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in the EU. And then we will ask the British people whether they want to stay in on this basis, or leave. We will honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome."

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hahahaha - you haven't listened to many Leave voters have you ....

And if the Tories had stuck to their manifesto promise of safeguarding the UK position in the single market then Indyref2 wouldn't be happening.
Did you vote Tory?
Did you wonder how they could promise safeguarding our position in the single market whilst also promising an in/ out referendum?
Thought not.
BTW indyref2 isn't happening yet and probably won't and the fact that we are leaving the single market makes no difference to the SNP. The result of the referendum is just a good excuse to have another go. Sturgeon was talking about another referendum the morning after the EU referendum, before hard Brexit and soft Brexit had even been invented.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you vote Tory?
Did you wonder how they could promise safeguarding our position in the single market whilst also promising an in/ out referendum?
Thought not.
BTW indyref2 isn't happening yet and probably won't and the fact that we are leaving the single market makes no difference to the SNP. The result of the referendum is just a good excuse to have another go. Sturgeon was talking about another referendum the morning after the EU referendum, before hard Brexit and soft Brexit had even been invented.

It would already appear likely that a 2nd Indy Ref is going to happen. The latest is that TM won't block it, just a matter of the timing.

I'm just wondering what will happen if the SNP win this time - best of 3 or penalty shoot-out?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It would already appear likely that a 2nd Indy Ref is going to happen. The latest is that TM won't block it, just a matter of the timing.

I'm just wondering what will happen if the SNP win this time - best of 3 or penalty shoot-out?

You'll be orphans, independent with nowhere to go as nobody wants you!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Maybe you can show us where their manifesto said that. I have looked through it a few times and cannot see it. What they did say in it was:

"We will legislate in the first session of the next Parliament for an in-out referendum to be held on Britain’s membership of the EU before the end of 2017. We will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in the EU. And then we will ask the British people whether they want to stay in on this basis, or leave. We will honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome."

That was my understanding..... and net of not paying the subs and daft EU Regs...our position will probably be better than it was. SNP needs someone to subsidise its Policies. Not sure if the EU will be able to

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's say there will be another referendum, inevitable, and Scotland votes for independence. 5yrs down the line it has gone horribly wrong and Scotland asks to rejoin the UK. What would the process be?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let's say there will be another referendum, inevitable, and Scotland votes for independence. 5yrs down the line it has gone horribly wrong and Scotland asks to rejoin the UK. What would the process be?

Borrow loads of cash, try and start a colony, it goes belly up and the BoE bail us out in return for re-joining i.e. same as last time?

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Who says we would want to rejoin the uk?

Maybe president trump could make us an offer and we could join up with our American cousins??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who says we would want to rejoin the uk?

Maybe president trump could make us an offer and we could join up with our American cousins??

By all means. I was not trying to score points but there is a geographical and language link that makes it natural for Scotland to go with the rest of the UK if it so decided. It was a hypothetical question. (crackers you say but then look at what has happened in the last 12 months and you realise all sorts of things are possible now)

If Scotland wanted to become the 51st state then that would be something worth seeing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Here you go - top of Page 72 (bullet point 4 - my bolding)

Real change in our relationship
with the European Union

Our commitment to you:

For too long, your voice has been ignored on Europe. We will:

• give you a say over whether we should stay in or leave the EU, with an in-out referendum
    by the end of 2017
  • commit to keeping the pound and staying out of the Eurozone
  • reform the workings of the EU, which is too big, too bossy and too bureaucratic
  • reclaim power from Brussels on your behalf and safeguard British interests in the Single Market
  • back businesses to create jobs in Britain by completing ambitious trade deals and reducing red tape.

And so from the above it is very clear that the Tories saw a distinction between leaving the EU and leaving the Single Market - they are mentioned in separate bullets and not linked in these bullet points or in the text of the manifesto.

And as @SR has pointed out the manifesto stated that a conservative government would honour the result of the In/Out EU referendum, not mention of Single Market in respect of the referendum

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And as @SR has pointed out the manifesto stated that a conservative government would honour the result of the In/Out EU referendum, not mention of Single Market in respect of the referendum

The manifesto also stated that they wouldn't raise NI contributions over the course of this parliament and we all know what happened there.

SiLH do you honestly believe that the EU will allow us to leave and yet remain in the single market and customs union? If not ,then how about waiting to see what access to the single market the government can get in the negotiations before spitting your dummy over them not protecting British interests.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The manifesto also stated that they wouldn't raise NI contributions over the course of this parliament and we all know what happened there.

SiLH do you honestly believe that the EU will allow us to leave and yet remain in the single market and customs union? If not ,then how about waiting to see what access to the single market the government can get in the negotiations before spitting your dummy over them not protecting British interests.

You try and justify breaking the SM commitment by citing another broken manifesto promises...LOL. I rather think leaving the Single Market is somewhat more contentious and impacting than increasing NIC4 contributions average of 60p a week.

It is quite clear from the Tory Party Manifesto - Leaving the EU does not imply leaving the Single Market. And the Tories gave a commitment to safeguarding British interests in the Single Market.

This is in black and white - it is not opinion.

Losing or weakening our interests in the Single Market is NOT a consequence of leaving the EU. It may well be a consequence of deciding that total control of immigration is the be-all-and-end-all. And it may well be the end of all.

So tell me - three simple questions

Did the Tory Party in their 2015 GE Manifesto commit to safeguarding British Interests in the Single Market?

In what way are these interests in the SM going to be safeguarded by leaving the SM?

Why would any voter ever come to believe that Leaving the EU includes Leaving the SM?

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here you go - top of Page 72 (bullet point 4 - my bolding)

Real change in our relationship
with the European Union

Our commitment to you:

For too long, your voice has been ignored on Europe. We will:

• give you a say over whether we should stay in or leave the EU, with an in-out referendum
    by the end of 2017
  • commit to keeping the pound and staying out of the Eurozone
  • reform the workings of the EU, which is too big, too bossy and too bureaucratic
  • reclaim power from Brussels on your behalf and safeguard British interests in the Single Market
  • back businesses to create jobs in Britain by completing ambitious trade deals and reducing red tape.

And so from the above it is very clear that the Tories saw a distinction between leaving the EU and leaving the Single Market - they are mentioned in separate bullets and not linked in these bullet points or in the text of the manifesto.

Aren't these bullet points talking about what would change assuming we were still in the EU?

I haven't read the whole manifesto as I'm not unhealthily obsessed like you but the context seems to be making changes from within? Could be wrong.....

On topic (as SILH transforms everything into Brecit!) I wonder if Sturgeon has overplayed her hand here trying to force it through before the terms of Brecit are known......