Incorrect shaft flex - Flight issues?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Simple (... Or maybe not) question for the shaft elite amongst us.

What kind of ball flight would you consistently expect to see from someone using a shaft that had a flex too weak for their swing?

I know things like swing speed and type if transition the player has may have a bearing on the shaft required, but I'm more asking if there is a consistent shape you would expect to see from someone over powering the shaft flex in their clubs?

Any opinions welcome as always :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
normal wisdom is that a shaft that is too soft will tend to hook more and also the ball will fly a bit higher. Not always true as shafts have more characteristics than just flex

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play a heavy x stiff iron shaft and once found a senior flex 3 iron. I decided to hit it off the tee and it went great. A little high and spinney but not the difference you would expect. On the flip side of the coin my pp plays i20's like me but with reg shafts. Whilst his clubs where back with ping he used mine. He said he didnt notice any difference. He hits the ball like a girl too

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Basically, a shaft that is too weak will lead to increased dispersion and higher ball flight. Unless you have a very measured swing with great hand timing, it will be difficult to control the club head with a high degree of accuracy if it is too weak for your swing. This usually leads to shots going left and right of target with higher (than normal) ball flight with increased spin. A more skilled player will generally tend to hit draws or hooks with a whippy shaft (for a right hander) but this is by no means a trait shared by everyone.
As is often recommended, it is better to play with the softest shaft shaft you can control for the greatest distance, but this is only a general rule of thumb for someone with a stable swing with good tempo and a good neutral grip - late hitters or stronger swingers with an aggressive transition should avoid this and would be better of with a stiffer overall profile.
It only goes to show that fitting is the only real way to get a shaft matched to your swing - length and weight are just as important as flex and bend profile.