Inconstant Ping i500

Doodle

Visit site
Hi all.
I haven't been on here for a while & I've missed the banter a bit, so i'm back.
Anyway here is the issue.
After moving from game improvement Ping G20 irons to Ping i500 irons, I was initially very impressed with the lovely flight & accuracy I was getting, but the honeymoon has not lasted.
Although I still get great flight & contact with the ball, i'm getting too many "flier's" both from the tee & the fairway.
Off the fairway the other day, I hit a 4 iron 205 yards, which is ridiculous for me (usual distance for me is 180 / 185)
Since then I've flown over several greens with the 7 / 6 / 5 irons
I have to add that these are random hot shots, the majority of my shots into the greens have gone pretty much the expected distance, but these random hot shots have wrecked my confidence going into the greens.
Another issue with the i500 irons is the rust marks appearing on the faces, not the quality of finish I would expect from Ping.

As an experiment before going to the expense of buying new irons, I bought a set of used Ping i25 irons in my spec.
Straight away consistency returned, no more hot shots the difference was amazing.
So I then decided to treat myself to a brand new set of Ping i210 irons in my spec.
What a shock I got when I went to place my order, only to be told not to expect delivery until at least December & more likely January!!!
I'm not waiting that long for new irons, I will wait until what ever is causing the huge delay before I contemplate putting in an order.
Probably by then I expect Ping will have brought out the upgrade to the i210 irons anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
i500 are hollow body irons
Hollow body irons have gained a reputation for producing fliers
Whether its a genuine reputation would need testing..
I would be surprised if Ping released a set of irons knowing that they were susceptible to fliers..they would try to curb it.
It could simply be that one swing in 100 that is a little faster, better delivery, better contact and so goes further..
As for the delays, it's down to Ping having no stock of heads, shafts or grips in any numbers. All OEMs are in the same boat
Apparently they sold a year's worth of product in a few months due to the uptake in golf.
Foundry time has to be booked months in advance and Ping, as well as the other OEMs, are having to wait their turn for heads.
Waiting times will ease but the next year isn't going to be quick in that department

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the nature of these (and other distance irons) and the reason few pros play them, and it isn't just the hollow body irons. I have seen the same occur with players distance irons where now and again one takes off like a rocket and goes through the green. The only saving grace is you can say you hit a 7 iron 175 years or whatever. I know a few good players and pros who have picked up a set of players distance irons but then gone back to more conventional players cavity or blade irons for this reason. If you are a good enough player that you have a decent idea of how far you typically hit an iron, then the i210s or irons like that are likely to be more consistent, even if you have to reach for one with one number higher.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have a friend who has the same issue.
Suddenly he hits one through the back of greens without warning, and puts himself in trouble.
It seems to happen mostly with short/mid irons.

I have a hollow headed Mizuno MP20 4 iron, which goes beautifully due to the additional spring in the clubface. But it doesn't appear to get flyers.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the nature of these (and other distance irons) and the reason few pros play them, and it isn't just the hollow body irons. I have seen the same occur with players distance irons where now and again one takes off like a rocket and goes through the green. The only saving grace is you can say you hit a 7 iron 175 years or whatever. I know a few good players and pros who have picked up a set of players distance irons but then gone back to more conventional players cavity or blade irons for this reason. If you are a good enough player that you have a decent idea of how far you typically hit an iron, then the i210s or irons like that are likely to be more consistent, even if you have to reach for one with one number higher.

That was exactly the reason I picked the i210's the last time I replaced my irons. How far they go is all down to me i.e. if I hit them properly I know how far they are going to carry, if I don't hit them properly that's my fault.

No random surprises.

Doodle

Visit site
Talking to a Pro today & another very low H/C player my complaint seems to be a common one.
Also some of your replies on here seem to back up what I'm saying.
I'm surprised tbh that this issue hasn't been highlighted a bit more.
It's definitely put me off this type of head design in the future.

I've had the chance to play a couple of rounds with my used set of Ping i25 irons.
They were brilliant, no fliers, just dependable distance.

The plan now is to look for a used set of Ping i210 in my spec (unlikely)
Or wait to see if Ping launch a updated version of the 210's in the coming months.
I've been quoted January delivery for a new set of Ping 210's which is ridiculous + I probably wouldn't get to used them until March or April.