Inactive handicaps

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are members of your club allowed to play in and win club competitions who don't have an active handicap ?

I was going to ask this in another thread but was told I wasn't allowed to

keepersunion

Medal Winner
Visit site
No, a friend of mine turned up for a big comp and on the first tee was DQ'd for not having an active handicap. Still played on and would have won it given the scores shot that day by his competitors.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
Officially no - so the computer takes care of stroke play/medal comps etc where inactives can play but not win. Problem is match play where rule is that they cannot enter but no one wants to police the rule which would involve confrontation for the committee or the risk of sour grapes accusation by a player. In our doubles last year my partner and I had the joy of playing a 15 handicap who had 1 blob and 3 bogies in 16 holes. We played great to take it that far.:angry:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Someone said that at their club, they can play and win some comps but not board/trophy comps and I just wondered if other clubs were doing the same

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what we do in our Ladies section, but I was DQ'd from a comp because the person marking my card had an inactive handicap. :confused:

Good morning Mary.
Up early or just back from clubbing?
If that happened to me, I would hit the roof and rip someones head off on the way up.:angry:
Why punish you for something someone else has done or hasn't done in this case.
What have you done wrong?
Nothing

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was under the impression that the inactive handicap thing was developed to prevent people entering and winning competitions until you've played 3 comps.If you haven't played 3 comps in the last year then you have to have played 3 to be able to compete.If you're allowed to compete with an inactive handicap then what's the point of inactive handicaps..?

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit out of order having a DQ for card marked by an inactive that takes the Michael IMO.

This sort of thing tends to crop up 'by mistake' in that no-one thinks it through when drafting.

On the wider issue in this thread, there is also a huge difference between EGU and SGU approach to inactives - the latter require that you 'start again' and have to submit 3 cards for handicaping; they then allocate a new handicap but take into account the previous one. Note that this means the person still won't have had to play any Q competitons to have a fresh start! EGU it's get the 3 Q or S cards in and the existing handicap is adjusted to those cards in the normal way.

Personally, however you look at it it is purely a technical issue in England, the persons handicap is as valid for play unless the competition rules preclude them. It's a parallel with the old approach (still maintained in many clubs) that people need to have returned cards in three competitions in the 12 months prior to a board/trophy event.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a parallel with the old approach (still maintained in many clubs) that people need to have returned cards in three competitions in the 12 months prior to a board/trophy event.

So, it's ok for the normal run of the mill club comps that don't matter too much ?

Problem is match play where rule is that they cannot enter but no one wants to police the rule which would involve confrontation for the committee or the risk of sour grapes accusation by a player. In our doubles last year my partner and I had the joy of playing a 15 handicap who had 1 blob and 3 bogies in 16 holes. We played great to take it that far.:angry:

Sorry, I'm just pleased I dont work at your club. Your committee needs to wake up :angry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can enter and put the card in to count towards reactivating the handicap but you can't win it. Our committee do police the entries into the knockouts and don't allow anyone in on the current inactive register prior to the draw being made

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I found out the hard way (or should say eventually)when ur h/cap becomes active...

I joined my 1st club 3 yrs ago, put 3 cards in for my handicap and soon as the season started played in my 1st comp which wasnt a good start,1st tee,1st ball,1st shot of my club comp career and......put it OB:smirk::D...

Didnt do anything for couple comps then on Captains day everything clicked and i won the comp woo hoo :cheers:,bragging to all my mates that my name will be on the board at the end of the yr when they update them.....when they did there was another name on Captains board,when i questioned it,was eventually told i had to have played in 3 comps to be eligible to claim a comp prize:angry::rant:,only played2 comps since and now i only have a green fee contract....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a parallel with the old approach (still maintained in many clubs) that people need to have returned cards in three competitions in the 12 months prior to a board/trophy event.

"So, it's ok for the normal run of the mill club comps that don't matter too much ?"

Bob,

As hamshanker has just posted, and as I would be happy to bet, there are a large number of clubs who have an element of differential qualification between board/trophy events and 'others'. It can include handicap status, membership period, number of returns in previous year/rolling 12 months/current year or for new handicap allocations, play in at least one 'other' event prior.

All have their routes in something that happened at the club, or previous club for the rule makers. Few are reviewed and, when new things like 'inactive handicap status' come along there's rarely rational consideration of what's trying to be achieved.

Our club, as set out previously, starts from a policy of 'inclusion' and works back from there. We accept that most of the above eligibility steps are mere hurdles, rather than barriers, to anyone wishing to circumvent the system and attempt to manipulate their chances of a win. We choose to place more hurdles in the case of board/trophy events, but accept that they are only such.

In the case of inactive handicaps, there is very little risk associated with their inclusion per se; at the end of a calendar year people can still have an active handicap without returning a Q score (or an S) for nearly 2 years, whilst at the beginning they could have returned 3 in the last 13 months ie it's a technicality.

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
Good morning Mary.
Up early or just back from clubbing?
If that happened to me, I would hit the roof and rip someones head off on the way up.:angry:
Why punish you for something someone else has done or hasn't done in this case.
What have you done wrong?
Nothing

LOL - not clubbing - just the dreaded insomnia!

I didn't bother following it up, as it was just a card for the 9 hole ladies winter team comp, (and, to be honest, I don't have the patience to deal with this type of wierd and wonderful rules!). The annoying thing was that my playing partner had previously had an active handicap for several years, but it had become inactive due to an injury which kept her from putting enough cards in, so it wasn't as though there would be any doubt about her having forgotten how to mark a card correctly. Sometimes they seem to like to make it difficult for people to access the beautiful game! :mad: