Inactive handicaps?

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year as it was my first as a member I entered my three cards to get my hcp. After this as my golf was so poor I only entered one medal and received a +0.1. I didn't bother with anymore purely as I would be just wasting my entrance fee. Now my game is coming together more I'm looking forward to next season but just realised I may be "inactive" as I only entered one comp and not the required 3. Would my 3 cards count towards this?

Many thanks.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont believe your 3 cards will count. Why did you think you would waste your entrance fee? The result of your medal match is a reflection of your current game, if your game improves then you will have the oppertunity to improve next year.

If you need some more qualifiers then ask about supplimentry medal cards, you can play these any time from a measured course and only need another member to mark your card.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carded 122 in my first medal!! I also was carding around the 109 mark most weeks with hcp of 26 I was getting really frustrated and didn't want to waste the £2. I'm back to playing in the 90's now but last entry for supplementary cards is the 31st and I don't think there are any comps left.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you have a measured course with a rated SSS and the course isn't shortened by 100 yards or more due to temps/forward tees then, as far as I'm aware, you can put in a Supplementary any time you like as long as you sign the book before going out - one a week up to a total of 10.
Too many clubs stop handicap adjustments in the Winter - they seem to think competitive golf is only played between April and October.....

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont get this way of thinking that £2 entry to a comp is a waste of money. As was said above it is a true reflection on your ability and the only real measure of how you are doing.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evesdad, whilst I can understand not wanting to put yourself through the mill of playing comps when you are playing badly, especially as a new member, I'd say once you do feel ready start playing comps again you should stick with it and not worry about having a bad round.

We are all familiar with the card and pencil effect of a medal round and it usually adds a few shots on to what most golfers can shoot in a friendly round, especially when you are starting out. You have to get used to that. Fair enough to have a break if something major is going wrong or while you want to work on something, but the mental part of putting a score together with a card in your hand in competition conditions also requires practice.

Not intended as criticism just a bit of advice. We've most of us been there and it took me about a dozen comps before I started playing anywhere near the standard of my casual games.

Anyway good luck, and it sounds like you are getting your confidence back.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must admit I dont understand,the saving of 2 quid? You spend hundereds of £ to join a club. To get a H/c and enter comps. Then quibble about £2, its not even the cost of a pint. Bite the bullet and get stuck in. Dont worry about anyone or anything. Just enjoy, you will soon find its good fun. Not having a go at you or owt. But get out there and enjoy yourself.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It may seem petty, but at easter I gave up work to look after my two daughters so having one wage coming in made things tight. Golf was one thing I was not going to stop and made cuts in other areas like cancelling sky sports etc. Now I know golf is not the best pastime to have if you don't want to part with your cash! But the money saved from the comps has basically paid for my new driver. It's not that I can't pay the fee but couldn't see the point when I was struggling so much with my game the last thing I needed was the added pressure of a card. I have now got my game under control and my attitude as I don't let the bad shots upset me and ruin a whole round, I just have a little word with myself and laugh it off especially if I do it again with the next shot. I've just got myself sorted at the wrong time as now I'm settled with myself the season is over! On the bright side I got my handicap in march so I've got until then to sort out some qualifiers. I did receive and email from the club that said supplementary cards can't be put in after 31st, prob as we have a few matts out already on atleast 5 holes. Hopefully should get sorted and look forward to all the comps next season.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If money is that tight(Iknow how you feel only have her wage here to). Maybe just 1 comp a month would do it. OK to late this year but next maybe. Just a thought?

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Def playing a load more next year, prob not every week but most. It's not that I couldn't afford it i just couldn't see the point when I was struggling with my game so much. The money was better Used in my new driver. I'm in a much happier place place now and my performances have improved with it.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Your handicap remains active for 12 months from the date of initial allocation.

What rosecott said, initial award is for 12 months. After this they fit into the calender so if your year has finished now you will need to do three by 31st December.

Have a chat with your handicap secretary and they will explain. We put notices of possible inactivations on the board every month to help people.

CK