Old Inactive Handicap

Dandyer1995

Visit site
Wondering if any of you guys can help with my handicap. I stopped playing a good few years ago and recently the bugs back. as my handicap is now inactive and the system has changed since I last played where will I have to start from?

used to play of 5 (4.8) will I have to play the 8 odd rounds before I have one again or does the 3 scores for an inactive still count? I'm a way off this currently to say the least :ROFLMAO:

cheers :cool:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Wondering if any of you guys can help with my handicap. I stopped playing a good few years ago and recently the bugs back. as my handicap is now inactive and the system has changed since I last played where will I have to start from?

used to play of 5 (4.8) will I have to play the 8 odd rounds before I have one again or does the 3 scores for an inactive still count? I'm a way off this currently to say the least :ROFLMAO:

cheers :cool:
Assuming your handicap derives from rounds played before Jan 2019, then you will not have a WHS handicap. You will then have to submit scores from a total of 54 holes and you will then be assessed for a new WHS handicap. Your club should though also take into account your golfing history. Hope this helps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming your handicap derives from rounds played before Jan 2019, then you will not have a WHS handicap. You will then have to submit scores from a total of 54 holes and you will then be assessed for a new WHS handicap. Your club should though also take into account your golfing history. Hope this helps.

That should be January 2018.

OP

Assuming you are in England did you have a CDH number back then and do you know it? It is worth checking with the club if you know it to see f it has been purged from the system.
Ps Active and inactive is the wrong terminology it used to mean other things pre WHS.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you have to put cards in then after 3 you will be given a handicap index, which will just be based on the best card of the three. as you put more in your handicap changes to be based on an average of the best rounds the number of which will increase until once you have 20 cards in it will be an average of your best 8.

Dandyer1995

Visit site
thanks All that helps, they are pre Jan 2018 so might be getting a few shots again then lol! I'd say I'm more like a 10 handicapper anyway currently.

thanks for the replies.

Dandyer1995

Visit site
Hi all,

more confusion regarding my handicap! my new club has found my old CDH Number and linked it to my Howdidido account so I've been told no need to do three cards just to start entering qualifiers. However its now got me playing off 3 (2.9) rather than 5 o_O

any idea why I'd have been cut 2 shots :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not entirely sure, but they my have 'created' your Index from the 'best 8 of last 20' as that is now the way it's done. If so, they'll likely also likely usef the Course Rating (and Slope) of your previous course.
FWIW. Even casual rounds can become 'qualifiers' these days, though you need to register them as such beforehand.
Here's a link to the World Handicap System tht is now the way it works - based on the Slope System that the rest of the world has used for some time. https://www.englandgolf.org/handicapping/
I'd suggest you have a chat with the Handicap Sec regarding the unsuitability of your current 'cap. You could simply agree one with your mates while returning real scores until it becomes realistic - after 20 'new' rounds registered.

Last edited:

Dandyer1995

Visit site
Not entirely sure, but they my have 'created' your Index from the 'best 8 of last 20' as that is now the way it's done. If so, they'll likely also likely usef the Course Rating (and Slope) of your previous course.
FWIW. Even casual rounds can become 'qualifiers' these days, though you need to register them as such beforehand.
Here's a link to the World Handicap System tht is now the way it works - based on the Slope System that the rest of the world has used for some time. https://www.englandgolf.org/handicapping/
I'd suggest you have a chat with the Handicap Sec regarding the unsuitability of your current 'cap. You could simply agree one with your mates while returning real scores until it becomes realistic - after 20 'new' rounds registered.

cheers this does make sense. I've emailed to see if I can get some clarity on it. worst case I'll just start putting some qualifying cards in get a better baseline.

thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

more confusion regarding my handicap! my new club has found my old CDH Number and linked it to my Howdidido account so I've been told no need to do three cards just to start entering qualifiers. However its now got me playing off 3 (2.9) rather than 5 o_O

any idea why I'd have been cut 2 shots :ROFLMAO:
How many scores are now in your record? If there are fewer than 20 the average best 8 from 20 is not the method. If there only 3 then your index is 2 less than the best.
See the table in Rule 5.2a

Dandyer1995

Visit site
How many scores are now in your record? If there are fewer than 20 the average best 8 from 20 is not the method. If there only 3 then your index is 2 less than the best.

less than 20 (13 to be exact) my best being 39 points off 5 so sounds like that could be the reason! great help thank you

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't seem a great method for the OP's situation. Are there alternatives?

Swango1980

Visit site
less than 20 (13 to be exact) my best being 39 points off 5 so sounds like that could be the reason! great help thank you
If you have 13 rounds, your Index will be the average of your lowest 4 score differentials.

Also, remember that a score differential is = (Adj Gross Score - Course Rating) x (113/Slope)

So, as Slope is often over 113 for most courses, the Score Differential is lower than the (average) difference between your gross score and course rating. However, then when you determine your course handicap, you reverse this by multiplying Index by Slope / 113.

So, most people's Index are lower than their handicap before WHS, but their Course Handicap is more equivalent (although as your handicap is so low, it probably makes little difference really.

Dandyer1995

Visit site
I had an answer back from my club yesterday. It was only two rounds that count as the other 11 are pre WHS. The lowest being a 5 over so the adjustment of -2.0 off that would explain why the sudden drop. thanks all makes sense now.

Pokitren

Visit site
if you have to put cards in then after 3 you will be given a handicap index, which will just be based on the best card of the three. as you put more in your handicap changes to be based on an average of the best rounds the number of which will increase until once you have 20 cards in it will be an average of your best 8.
Only the best 8? Not all 20? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to the game.

Hi everyone, let me join your forum :)

Swango1980

Visit site
Only the best 8? Not all 20? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to the game.

Hi everyone, let me join your forum :)
Yes, average of best 8.

If all cards were used, high handicappers would win every single competition, as the range of all their scores is significantly higher than low handicappers (it is also higher even over their best 8, hence the adjustments made to Course Handicap to get Playing Handicap). Also, on a good day it is generally difficult to shoot massively below your handicap (ability potential), but on a bad day you can shoot miles above it.

Handicap is meant to represent a number close to a players potential ability at any given time, not their average score including all the shockers.