Old Inactive Handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only the best 8? Not all 20? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to the game.

Hi everyone, let me join your forum :)

Initial Handicap (Under CONGU rules) is based upon the best card from the first three, thereafter it will depend upon the number of cards put in (see the chart post #14).

Pokitren

Visit site
Yes, average of best 8.

If all cards were used, high handicappers would win every single competition, as the range of all their scores is significantly higher than low handicappers (it is also higher even over their best 8, hence the adjustments made to Course Handicap to get Playing Handicap). Also, on a good day it is generally difficult to shoot massively below your handicap (ability potential), but on a bad day you can shoot miles above it.

Handicap is meant to represent a number close to a players potential ability at any given time, not their average score including all the shockers.
I'm a little confused by the concept of a handicap. In soccer, I know that it is a "concession" with which a team can win. But in golf, it's not clear to me yet. Could you clarify, if you don't mind?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm a little confused by the concept of a handicap. In soccer, I know that it is a "concession" with which a team can win. But in golf, it's not clear to me yet. Could you clarify, if you don't mind?
I think I'm confused by your question?

A handicap of a player represents their ability based on historic rounds of golf (i.e. their last 20 rounds, and using their best 8 within that period). The handicap is then used, depending on the format played, to allow all golfers to compete with other golfers of different abilities, on a level playing field.