Impact position

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i've got a problem with the clubhead being ahead of my hands at impact like many on here. Apart from the obvious of getting your hands in front ( trying really hard to do this) would a 'forward press' at address help create a hands first impact?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No.

Short answer, but true.

I am thinking of getting an impact bag. I think this is the only way to go. Can't see any other way working, and I have tried most.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers SR, I can't access you tube in work, but i'll watch it tomorrow when i get out of bed, this is driving me mad, the distance i've lost is pretty soul destroying and i need to cure it. Murph, think i'll get one as well, it can always be used just to check you've not slipped back to old habits after your cured.;)

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I also rarely take a divot and Socket's video makes sense to me, I may be stopping my shoulder turn too soon and flipping the club to avoid hitting fat. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a go at the range.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
very rarely Lump

Is your bad shot a thin? and do you think you struggle for height with your irons?

For me, anyone who flips their wrist isn't getting there weight forward enough.
A drill I've seen used is to hit balls from a downward slope, that should make you move you weight forward and give you the feeling of hitting down on the ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, I keep rotating my shoulders, I'm not trying to get the ball airborne, I'm not trying to flip, i have been told not to laterally move my weight forwards, but heck, I cannot maintain that angle. I'm as confused as ever. Whilst I would never walk away from golf, I am about as near as I have ever been. Currently clueless. I feel I am practicing a lot, but I haven't got a clue what I am practicing. I have about 30 different swings, which all look the same on video. None of them have my hands in the right position. This remains a mystery.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Simple and to the point ;-)

If you listen to him he explains that people normally need to understand the physical reason this happens for them to commit to the solution. Thats why he spend some time on it. I like to understand the inputs to why somthing happens and why a certain output will give the desired result. If you dont like to understand things then I guess that your perogotive.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lump, i'm just about the opposite to that, i get fantastic height and feel as if i've made great contact with the ball, i'm not saying i don't hit bad shots but i'm extremely steady, it's just always being short that's the problem, recently on a monitor and i was hitting my 7 iron 133 yds, very frustrating and i know i could just club up, but i want to fix this as i used to hit it 150yds, but i really appreciate your input on this mate.

Is your bad shot a thin? and do you think you struggle for height with your irons?
.For me, anyone who flips their wrist isn't getting there weight forward enough.
A drill I've seen used is to hit balls from a downward slope, that should make you move you weight forward and give you the feeling of hitting down on the ball.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, I keep rotating my shoulders, I'm not trying to get the ball airborne, I'm not trying to flip, i have been told not to laterally move my weight forwards, but heck, I cannot maintain that angle. I'm as confused as ever. Whilst I would never walk away from golf, I am about as near as I have ever been. Currently clueless. I feel I am practicing a lot, but I haven't got a clue what I am practicing. I have about 30 different swings, which all look the same on video. None of them have my hands in the right position. This remains a mystery.

Morph, I am not sure why you are having so much trouble getting your hands ahead of the ball. I wish I could see you hitting the ball. I know I once had a problem for a time where I was always hitting weak shots with the clubface open, I tried for ages practising and taking lessons but could not fix it. In the end I considered it was due to rotating my arms and wrists too much. I changed my swing so I kept the clubface square to the swingpath, like Graeme Mcdowell and Steve Stricker and have never looked back since.

If you think this may help yopu I will give you some more information, it does allow you to make good ball impact and helps keep the shaft leaning forward.

Last edited: