I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thought it might be good to have something rolling for when we're playing a new course and would like to know a bit more about it, I know we can all look at their websites, which at times won't be up to date, and let's be honest, they will always state it's a hidden gem, but is it really?

I'll kick it off.....

My Captain's away day will be at Wollaton Park Golf Club in Nottinghamshire, I've been on the website, which like many sites looks very old & dated, and yes, it's described as another hidden gem!

So, who's played it, any members on here at it, over to you....

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm playing West Lancs, Hillside and Royal Lytham in the next 3 days all for the first time. Are they any good? :whistle:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West Lancs - Brutal.
Hillside - not played
Lytham - The Beast, I played it 10 yrs ago in the July and they said it's very close to Open Championship conditions, it's the hardest golf course I've played to date. Awesome.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm playing West Lancs, Hillside and Royal Lytham in the next 3 days all for the first time. Are they any good? :whistle:

I really enjoyed West Lancs other than a couple of holes over the back corner on the back 9 which kind of went parkland-ish, the front 9 really lets you know you there for sure!

Hillside is both excellent and brutal, if you're just slightly off the fairway reload, if the winds up it's mental, but great on the eye with some lovely holes.

Not played Lytham.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Formby is better than all of them ;) That said, it's some trip you have there !!! Enjoy !!!

I loved Formby, thought it was fantastic. Also playing Birkdale on this trip but I've played there before. Forecast is looking good :cool:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I loved Form by, thought it was fantastic. Also playing Birkdale on this trip but I've played there before. Forecast is looking good :cool:

They are all amazing courses. Tbh, Birkdale is my fave by a long way. I've never played Hillside on a calm day and it's always tore me a new one. Enjoy....I'm not jealous at all :)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing SAOL for this first time this week. From what I've been told it's a pretty decent links course with the usual problems when the wind picks up.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing Dunscar in Bolton tomorrow.......golf day organised by a local football club so won't be a serious round, but would be good to have any tips!

I have played Dunscar but in December, the main thing I remember was it was cold and windy, but cant remember much about the course, it is very high up so probably always blows a bit.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing SAOL for this first time this week. From what I've been told it's a pretty decent links course with the usual problems when the wind picks up.

Don't expect dramatic dunes and huge elevation changes.....Its an old school style links course which in my (slightly) bias opinion gets better and better the more you play it. Always presented immaculately, well bunkered, and a brut if the wind is up. That said, if you play well, it's very scorable. Enjoy !!!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't expect dramatic dunes and huge elevation changes.....Its an old school style links course which in my (slightly) bias opinion gets better and better the more you play it. Always presented immaculately, well bunkered, and a brut if the wind is up. That said, if you play well, it's very scorable. Enjoy !!!

Cheers. Sounds pretty much like Conwy.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

West Lancs - Very tough on and around the greens, especially the front 9. Overly undulating greens for a links course. A good enjoyable varied test though.

Hillside - The 1st and 9th are a bit of a let down and tbh as a course it just doesn't do it for me, always find it a bit of a slog.I am being overly critical though due to its reputation. The 11th has got to be visually one of the best holes In the UK and as a good golfer I'm sure you'll enjoy it overall.

Lytham - Toughest course I've played. Pray that your driving is on form. Every poor shot gets severely punished, the pot bunkers with large run offs into them are everywhere, the amount of them can be pretty intimidating off the tee.
Rough like barbed wire too.
Sounds obvious but I found if I played a hole well making par was pretty straightforward, just one bad shot though and it was difficult to recover. Bogey was rare, it was either Birdie..Par..or a total nightmare. Some test though and a fantastic clubhouse, As a good golfer I'll be interested to hear how you score around there.

Sounds like a great trip :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers guys for the info.

Qwerty, obviously I'll score fantastically well :whistle: I might PM you with the truth though :D

D

Deleted member 17920

Thought it might be good to have something rolling for when we're playing a new course and would like to know a bit more about it, I know we can all look at their websites, which at times won't be up to date, and let's be honest, they will always state it's a hidden gem, but is it really?

I'll kick it off.....

My Captain's away day will be at Wollaton Park Golf Club in Nottinghamshire, I've been on the website, which like many sites looks very old & dated, and yes, it's described as another hidden gem!

So, who's played it, any members on here at it, over to you....
i hate the phrase hidden gem.

Wollaton is quite a nice track, you will enjoy it there, greens should be in good nick as well and they are normally fast.

plenty of deer round the course as well.