I'm not buying new clubs !

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But I did buy a Taylormade 60* Hi Toe wedge yesterday, and "what a club". I played today and I was blown away. I hit everything from short chips to a couple of 90 yard full power smashes both of which hit the greens and one was a 1ft gimme. I also had a couple of absolutely bare lies, one short sided and a bunker to clear and it performed perfectly.

One of my mates and I decided to play the 488 yard, par 5, 9th hole from tee to green with this 60* degree club and we both got on in 5 shots which, while not remarkable did make me think the wacking a driver and hoping was not necessarily the best plan on Saturday in the Championship

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But I did buy a Taylormade 60* Hi Toe wedge yesterday, and "what a club". I played today and I was blown away. I hit everything from short chips to a couple of 90 yard full power smashes both of which hit the greens and one was a 1ft gimme. I also had a couple of absolutely bare lies, one short sided and a bunker to clear and it performed perfectly.

One of my mates and I decided to play the 488 yard, par 5, 9th hole from tee to green with this 60* degree club and we both got on in 5 shots which, while not remarkable did make me think the wacking a driver and hoping was not necessarily the best plan on Saturday in the Championship
Surely you could thin a wedge 180 yards minimum

Pin-seeker

Visit site

You 3 putted didn’t you 🙈

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I experimented the other day and hit my par 5 490y 1st in 3 6i shots, tee to green, I normally go driver hybrid and wedge, since that I'm thinking differently about how I play certain holes

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I experimented the other day and hit my par 5 490y 1st in 3 6i shots, tee to green, I normally go driver hybrid and wedge, since that I'm thinking differently about how I play certain holes

Always think when you pull a hybrid if there is room to miss.

Got 2 par 5s and 4 long par 4s at my place. Both par 5s there is not much room to miss and so generally a layup is the best plan.

But the Par 4s (maybe not 17) are ones you have a bit of margin for error with so can take a 200+ yard shot on.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I find with the longer shafts, hybrid, 4/5i they can tail off to the right, were I keep the 6i and up in play a lot more, I have a burn 100y from the elevated tee on the first I can make it over in 2 but can also mess it up and make it in 4, I need to stop trying to hit the pin on every shot, I'm going up today and I'll try play more target golf than try to scream it farther than my ability allows

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah I find with the longer shafts, hybrid, 4/5i they can tail off to the right, were I keep the 6i and up in play a lot more, I have a burn 100y from the elevated tee on the first I can make it over in 2 but can also mess it up and make it in 4, I need to stop trying to hit the pin on every shot, I'm going up today and I'll try play more target golf than try to scream it farther than my ability allows

Best go quickly already bouncing down here and the westerly winds are going your way!!!

May even start a wee rain dance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Best way for me to play our Par5 first.

4w off tee - will always be short of fairway bunker
7i to be well short of large stands of trees either side of fairway - will be short enough to be able to clear trees towards green if not on fairway;
Pitching wedge or 9i to green.
two putts

Alternative

Drive into bunker;
bunker shot out;
go for green and plonk hybrid into stand of trees;
Chip out onto fairway;
Pitch onto green;
Two putts.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That sound like me on my first, maybe the 3 putts tho

And in truth in my normal scenario I would be pushing to get ball on the green and would most likely dump it in a greenside bunker and take three or four to get down from it. So my 7 could easy be a 9. And it has been...often an 8 :(

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That sound like me on my first, maybe the 3 putts tho

Your first three holes are "quite technical". First you can go for it or lay up. Second is a very narrow green for a par 3. Third is a tough one, if you hit driver it has to be tight along the tree line on the right, lay up off the tee leaves a tricky approach.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Your first three holes are "quite technical". First you can go for it or lay up. Second is a very narrow green for a par 3. Third is a tough one, if you hit driver it has to be tight along the tree line on the right, lay up off the tee leaves a tricky approach.
Aye the first can catch a few out need to lay up that second shot before the burn, quite risky to go over it from that far back, I think the 2nd is quite straight forward you can thin it on to the green from the high tee box, 3rd is a nightmare for a draw player, very common for people who boggy they first 3 holes, my course compared to were you played is like pitch and putt, did you end up leaving dundonald

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm using the 58° Cally PM Grind - essentially the same thing and it's the dogs danglies from anywhere on the course
Even putter with it the other day.:p