I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

PaulMdj

Visit site
First Board Comp of the season a memorial Texas Scramble, finished 7 under as a team, nice and sunny mixed in with a cold wind.
Bit good fun and great to be back on the full course off the whites.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Jesus H Christ......... :oops:

I used a very similar expression with an extra word thrown in for good measure.

Never known anything like it for an early tee time. Rounds towards the back of our fields are often long, but in an am-am the early starters are generally looking at around 3 hours 40 minutes.

Springveldt

Visit site
Comp this morning and back on the full course with a 20mph wind into your face on what felt like 14 of the 18 holes. Real eye opener going from hitting half a wedge to a 3 hybrid into a lot of par 4's. Course is 6500 yards and it felt like over 7000 with the wind and not a lot of roll either as the fairways (not that I found many) are still lift and clean. Even short par 4's at 370 yards I was hitting driver then 3 hybrid due to the wind.

Started terribly with bogey, treble, bogey, bogey then steadied the ship with 5 pars to turn in a respectable +6. Came back in +5 :( due to missing 3 putts from within 3 foot so signed for an 83 (net 82 for handicap) so no cut and still have 3 rounds before my first counting score falls off.

I'm going to have to get used to playing in the wind as I'm not good at it just now.
Will be interested to see if there is a PCC adjustment as not a single player in division 1 played to handicap. Only 5 of 109 entries managed to shoot 72 or better (course rating 72.4). Overall winner was a 23 handicapper who had a net 65, second had a 69, third was 71 then 2 people with 72.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A frustrating and disappointing 4 over handicap in April medal, with 6 shots dropped in run of five holes…mostly just careless. But there was a HI silver lining to my cloud.

Played at very back of a field of 120 so our round time of 4hrs 10mins was pretty good I thought.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My inconsistent run of form continues out yesterday morning and shot 4 under handicap over the 15 open holes... out this morning and couldn't make a par to save my life.

On the plus side my dad came along for the walk this morning and it was lovely to just spend time with him just the two of us.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because of the recent weather, yesterday was our first medal of the year off the back tees. It just happened to be the qualifier for the scratch KO. Top 15 qualify as last years winner qualifies automatically as the Number 1 seed. The wind was quite strong and from the north and probably the hardest for our course. I started at 8 am and it was Baltic. I came joint second with 6 over, not helped when my ball was stuck five foot up a tree from a tee shot, which resulted in a double. The best score was 1 under. Course played tough and only two players broke par. PCC went up by 1.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played 18 at Willow Valley with Jamie - course still struggling but we've just one hole shortened to a par 3 as the landing area infront of the green won't take a ball without plugging badly.

Finished the round by trying to drive the green on the last off the forward tee - 235 yard carry - we both came up a few yards short. Jamie continues to amaze me with the performance of his new driver. Cleared the bunkers on our 2nd - which I would consider a very good hit for myself - with a swing that looks completely effortless.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I used a very similar expression with an extra word thrown in for good measure.

Never known anything like it for an early tee time. Rounds towards the back of our fields are often long, but in an am-am the early starters are generally looking at around 3 hours 40 minutes.

If only they’d employed bobs tactic of sending out the quick players first

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Would have made no difference. It was those in front of the comp who caused the issue.

We had this issue last year - usually the front runners in the comp can get around in circa 3 hours and a few of the blokes need that due to work commitments (one of them has a fish and chip shop so needs to be done by 10:30ish to get prepped for lunchtime).

Unfortunately, we had a group that started going out before the comp and they were glacially slow. I was in the second group and it took 4:25 to get round - it was the classic move as a 4, spraying it everywhere and taking an age to find balls whilst being unable to look behind them.

After a couple of weeks of this the club basically blocked out any booking prior to the comp (but turned a blind eye to singles or doubles heading out beforehand).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went up to Tain to play with a couple of mates, 36 hole comp on yesterday, so glad I didn't bother with that after last weeks debacle. When I got there though, I had the wrong Time and they had signed me up for a comp🤣 considering I didn't warm.up at all was OK, 1 over going out, but dropped 4 shots on the back 9 for a 75 gross, which under the circumstances isn't too bad, but none the less disappointing as I felt I could have shot lower.

Springveldt

Visit site
Will be interested to see if there is a PCC adjustment as not a single player in division 1 played to handicap. Only 5 of 109 entries managed to shoot 72 or better (course rating 72.4). Overall winner was a 23 handicapper who had a net 65, second had a 69, third was 71 then 2 people with 72.
PCC was 1 so my differential ended up being 7.2 and replaced an old 7.2 as my 8th best score.

Really annoyed by those 3 putts from 3 foot that I missed on 14, 17 and 18, should have got a cut yesterday.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If only they’d employed bobs tactic of sending out the quick players first
Yesterday afternoon it took us 2:20 to play the front 9 in the afternoon.

When we teed off there was no one on the first 2 holes. We waited 5 minutes on the 5th tee and then every shot thereafter until the two slow groups in front leafy after 9. Bobs idea sucks hard.

We do seem to have a problem with many groups who are just playing 9 taking forever to play.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from the most brutal round of golf I've ever played .. match play against @Orikoru .. 5 down at the turn I believe it was .. managed to all square on 16.. lost 17 but then won 18 to square the match

Never been so tired after a round. Royston is on a mountain not a hill! And the wind made it very hard

How on earth I managed to finish the round is beyond me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from playing Royston with @PJ87 . My god - without a doubt the hilliest course I've ever played. My ankle has gone, my calf has gone - on one hole I had to have a lie down before playing my shot because of how steep the walk up was. Seriously. And it was windy as all hell as well.

Front nine I played fairly well, Paul despite winning the first hole went on a poor run, and I sank a lovely par putt on the 7th that saw me go 5 up. Blobbed the 8th though as my tee shot went for a ride on the left to right gale and was never seen again.

The back nine was just awful however. It seemed like every hole on the back nine bar one was playing with a fierce left to right wind, and I just have no idea how to play in that. No matter how far left I was aiming it just seemed to go more right. It was farcical. I made five doubles in six holes from the 11th to the 16th and completely surrendered my lead in the match, Paul pegging me back to all square. I won the 17th but he won the 18th with a fine par to take a deserved draw. I was striking irons really well but I had no answer for the wind off the tee really, until maybe the last three holes where I finally managed to hit some good drives. My putting was really poor as well - good lag-putting but only dropped one in makeable range.

Course was just daft though, I won't be back in a hurry. They can't have much of a senior membership or they'd be looking at about two heart attacks per month I think. I couldn't imagine walking those hills in 30° in summer either. As if that isn't bad enough, there's a ten minute walk from the clubhouse to the 1st tee in the first place (and even more punishing at the end of the round to walk back to your car). And the final nail in the coffin was the clubhouse was all locked up afterwards so we couldn't even get a pint at 5pm! Outrageous.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got back from playing Royston with @PJ87 . My god - without a doubt the hilliest course I've ever played. My ankle has gone, my calf has gone - on one hole I had to have a lie down before playing my shot because of how steep the walk up was. Seriously. And it was windy as all hell as well.

Front nine I played fairly well, Paul despite winning the first hole went on a poor run, and I sank a lovely par putt on the 7th that saw me go 5 up. Blobbed the 8th though as my tee shot went for a ride on the left to right gale and was never seen again.

The back nine was just awful however. It seemed like every hole on the back nine bar one was playing with a fierce left to right wind, and I just have no idea how to play in that. No matter how far left I was aiming it just seemed to go more right. It was farcical. I made five doubles in six holes from the 11th to the 16th and completely surrendered my lead in the match, Paul pegging me back to all square. I won the 17th but he won the 18th with a fine par to take a deserved draw. I was striking irons really well but I had no answer for the wind off the tee really, until maybe the last three holes where I finally managed to hit some good drives. My putting was really poor as well - good lag-putting but only dropped one in makeable range.

Course was just daft though, I won't be back in a hurry. They can't have much of a senior membership or they'd be looking at about two heart attacks per month I think. I couldn't imagine walking those hills in 30° in summer either. As if that isn't bad enough, there's a ten minute walk from the clubhouse to the 1st tee in the first place (and even more punishing at the end of the round to walk back to your car). And the final nail in the coffin was the clubhouse was all locked up afterwards so we couldn't even get a pint at 5pm! Outrageous.

Swear im still out of breath now 🤣 told the kids night daddy can't come up to see you cuz I won't make it back down the stairs again lol 😭

Those hills were murder

Then again two of them could have been avoided if I didn't pull my par 3 shot onto mountain goat territory