I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Teebs

Visit site
First medal of the year and under new WHS rules. Winning net score across all divisions was 71 (-1). Tough.

No idea what difference the new WHS stuff is doing to handicaps, mine remained at 5

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
We've always thought the 95% thing was just for competition play. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You have a handicap index which you then work out your course handicap from. 14.7 to 12 if playing off your yellows. You’d then take 95% of 12 which would be your playing handicap if playing stroke play. Or Atleast that’s what it was before the changes.

So if you were playing a comp off your yellows, the 12 would go to 11.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have a handicap index which you then work out your course handicap from. 14.7 to 12 if playing off your yellows. You’d then take 95% of 12 which would be your playing handicap if playing stroke play. Or Atleast that’s what it was before the changes.

So if you were playing a comp off your yellows, the 12 would go to 11.
We don't play anything off yellows. Maybe we've been doing it wrong then but we always just used course handicap for our casual rounds as we thought playing handicap (95%) was just for comps, that's all.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't play anything off yellows. Maybe we've been doing it wrong then but we always just used course handicap for our casual rounds as we thought playing handicap (95%) was just for comps, that's all.

95% is only for comps

On the change tho isn't It the same for the entire field

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Castle Stuart this afternoon. Absolutely blown away by the place. Stunning course, wonderful views, great variety of holes.

Rain pretty much held off, but the wind was savage!

I had 28 points, played as good as I can play for most of it. We got the rough end of the draw.

Back tomorrow for round two!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
4BBB stableford comp today.

20 points after 9 and playing well. Wheels fell off on the last 2 holes and we finished on 36 points. Personally, I played very well, couple of bad shots but that's golf.

Winners got 45 points!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been an interesting few weeks. I was recommended trying the Eureka Golf Swing by Steve Johnson
as a remedy for my consistently sore back by one of our professionals. I had looked at it a few years back and dismissed it as very much in the stack and tilt camp. I simply watched a video, hit balls on Friday 5th and I thought it was voodoo. So easy and working well and hit a bucket and managed to carry only on the Saturday and had 34 straight out the box in the string winds. 34 on the Sunday in the gales. Warmed up well both days this weekend but more off than last week. Maybe I can't play in calm conditions! Managed to get it round in 32 this weekend and 30 yesterday with a decidedly C- swing, cold putter and flawed short game.....again (clearly a mental issue now)

My thoughts? Well it is "out there" for sure and setting up on the course takes some working out (easy on a range with canes) and I think a lot of issues yesterday were more tempo based (too quick and snatchy on the way back). I have some lovely shots over the last 2 weeks with little work and so it seems a simple system to run with. Clearly not textbook of course. The biggest plus is playing both days last weekend and this and hitting a bucket of balls in between and a 3/4 each day before playing and my back is still in good nick. It doesn't hurt as I go round as much. I am tempted to give it some time as playing in the wind - yesterday being very breezy as well - and seeing how it works with a better tempo and less layers.

I am sure the usual knockers on here will chip away (too many thoughts, always changing, S&T, flawed system etc) but as I am struggling to pay even 2 days running let alone in the week or working on my game I need something that takes the pressure of my back ( and my ingrained early extension not helping and something I have tried to lose for decades) and still lets me turn especially through into strike and compress properly. This is ticking the boxes so far

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
15:holes open, good weather predicted, so I actually turned up! Nice to play again after our holidays. Only seven of us. We lost nine of our group to the "dark side". A bit sad, but we all had a good day. No bad rounds between us.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perfect sunny spring day yesterday in just a polo but our greensomes major was a game of 3 half’s!

45 min warm up on the range was great, new lesson working and ready to go.

Front 9, a few dodgy putts but we make the turn 2 off the leaders with 19.

Great par on 10 and it was literally like me and my partner run out of energy. Crossing the 18th with 32pts we were second to last.

Mandofred

Visit site
Been an interesting few weeks. I was recommended trying the Eureka Golf Swing by Steve Johnson
as a remedy for my consistently sore back by one of our professionals. I had looked at it a few years back and dismissed it as very much in the stack and tilt camp. I simply watched a video, hit balls on Friday 5th and I thought it was voodoo. So easy and working well and hit a bucket and managed to carry only on the Saturday and had 34 straight out the box in the string winds. 34 on the Sunday in the gales. Warmed up well both days this weekend but more off than last week. Maybe I can't play in calm conditions! Managed to get it round in 32 this weekend and 30 yesterday with a decidedly C- swing, cold putter and flawed short game.....again (clearly a mental issue now)

My thoughts? Well it is "out there" for sure and setting up on the course takes some working out (easy on a range with canes) and I think a lot of issues yesterday were more tempo based (too quick and snatchy on the way back). I have some lovely shots over the last 2 weeks with little work and so it seems a simple system to run with. Clearly not textbook of course. The biggest plus is playing both days last weekend and this and hitting a bucket of balls in between and a 3/4 each day before playing and my back is still in good nick. It doesn't hurt as I go round as much. I am tempted to give it some time as playing in the wind - yesterday being very breezy as well - and seeing how it works with a better tempo and less layers.

I am sure the usual knockers on here will chip away (too many thoughts, always changing, S&T, flawed system etc) but as I am struggling to pay even 2 days running let alone in the week or working on my game I need something that takes the pressure of my back ( and my ingrained early extension not helping and something I have tried to lose for decades) and still lets me turn especially through into strike and compress properly. This is ticking the boxes so far
Every time I go through a bad patch, I go back to the weight forward swing. Call it the Stack and Tilt...whatever....I hit more consistently when my weight stays forward.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played yesterday with the youth. Really finding a groove with his new Ai Smoke driver - he’s gonna be able to hit the thing miles when he gains a few inches and bulks up a little - it’s already as long as the best drive I’ve got in me.
We both played solidly until I produced a German on the 10th - definitely not for the first time ….

Called it a day after 11 but the course is now fully open, just need to get off the tee mats.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How's that? I've never played off 13 before in my life. All my best rounds on my current record that are 83s, I'll now have to shoot 81 to beat them presumably. It's nonsense.
A possibly amusing footnote to the earlier discussion here - PCC went to 2 and now yesterday's round of 32 points actually became a counting score for me, somehow. System baffles me more every day. 😂

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Second day at Castle Stuart today. We has some sun, rain and even hail. Plenty of wind, but not as much as yesterday.

Played nicely... 36 points. Left me 4th equal out of 70 players. Happy with that, less happy that one more point would have won a prize.

Just arrived in Aberdeen. Trump Towers tomorrow!

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Every time I go through a bad patch, I go back to the weight forward swing. Call it the Stack and Tilt...whatever....I hit more consistently when my weight stays forward.
I've said it in other threads but us amateurs are garbage at shifting our weight forward in time. The vast majority of amateurs would benefit from feeling like they have a lot of weight on the front foot basically as soon as they have started the backswing.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday in my first counting round of the year. Course is still wet in places (6th hole is on a temp green) and it was pretty windy. Hadn't hit a ball in 2 weeks until the first tee and promptly skied my drive 180 yards. Played pretty well but swiped one onto the beach on the 9th and missed 2 putts from within 3 foot. Was +6 on the front, managed to get it back to +4 with 3 to go but doubled 16 after taking 4 to get down from the fringe. Ended up +7 for 34 points and a differential of 7.5 (non counting) since we were still on the much easier winter course.

Decent start to the season though.