I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

RichA

Visit site
One of those rounds today.
Only my second round with a PXG driver that was bought cheap from HotGolf last year and has been dreadful on the range but kept every drive in play today. A 4-hybrid that I have a love-hate relationship with is suddenly predictable. Every 9-iron out of the rough was a flier down the middle of the fairway. The 54° wedge was a wand inside 100 yards and the Ping Eye 2 8-iron that I've adapted into a homemade chipper was like a cheat code.
Came in with an 81, beating my PB by a shot and breaking 90 for the first time in a torrid 12-months.
Fully expecting normal service to be resumed next weekend.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One of those rounds today.
Only my second round with a PXG driver that was bought cheap from HotGolf last year and has been dreadful on the range but kept every drive in play today. A 4-hybrid that I have a love-hate relationship with is suddenly predictable. Every 9-iron out of the rough was a flier down the middle of the fairway. The 54° wedge was a wand inside 100 yards and the Ping Eye 2 8-iron that I've adapted into a homemade chipper was like a cheat code.
Came in with an 81, beating my PB by a shot and breaking 90 for the first time in a torrid 12-months.
Fully expecting normal service to be resumed next weekend.

All my golfing frustrations summed up perfectly in one post!!

Well played that man.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another day, another round in the 80s....
Starting on the back 9 I nearly aced the 10th (again)..ending up 9 inches away....
Decent first 9 of 3 over including a double after 2 horrendous lies...
Got to the 1st and....started to wait.
With it being a Bank Holiday everyone and their brothers wanted to play...
With no booking system it was utter carnage. Too many people on the course and not keeping any gap between tee shots...
Fortunately, as we had played 9, we got to jump the queue a bit but we still waited nearly 20 minutes to continue the round....
And then pace of play was glacial.......and my game went to rat poo.....
Dropped 8 shots on our 2nd 9...no rhythm at all...sometimes we'd play a couple ofmholes with no hold up and then stand for 10 minutes waiting...
Frustrating as the 1st 9 I played pretty well......

Jason.H

Visit site
I played my 4th new course of the year today with a trip to Conwy, very nice links with lots of gorse, I saw a decent improvement in my game too, we had lovely weather too, so it was a surprise when I got close to home and it was bucketing down
Yes it’s great course, blowing a gale when I played. I managed to keep out of the gorse 😂

Big85

Visit site
Played in the am—am at Breadsall priory today in an open comp, none of us really got going. 4 putt on the first never helps. Came in with 70 points. Some tough holes out there, playing 3 woods/ long irons into the greens is never easy into a wind

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today was my 300th different golf course , including par 3's . As luck would have it The Championship course at Carnoustie for a practice round for the Craws Nest Tassie. I don't think you'll get any better benign conditions than today , no wind , no rough to speak off but rain quite heavy towards the end around 6.30 pm. 7 straight pars, then nightmare 2 OB on par 3 8th, back on the par trail until the 16th when failed to get up and down from right greenside bunker, in fairness ball was in the jaws . The 17 carried the burn on the left into light rough and lipped out with par putt. Hit best drive of the day down 18 , but tugged 6 iron into the left greenside bunker but up and downed for a par for 36 points , 15 par's 2 bogies and the nightmare 8th !!
The wind blew today 😳 16 over 😆

Jason.H

Visit site
Played in the am—am at Breadsall priory today in an open comp, none of us really got going. 4 putt on the first never helps. Came in with 70 points. Some tough holes out there, playing 3 woods/ long irons into the greens is never easy into a wind
I imagine the ground was soft so no run on the ball, we’ve had a lot of rain in Derbyshire ☔

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Wexham Park to play the nine hole with the wife. I played alright I guess, but I had this nagging feeling that I wasn't hitting the ball as far as I'd normally expect. Maybe just tired or maybe I'm just expecting summer yardages too soon. Also missed a few left with irons where I had the face closed (normally more likely to leave it open) so that was odd. Got it round in a 7 over 39. Doubles on the 6th and 7th ruined it.

Wife struggled to start with but was playing some decent shots by about the 4th & 5th onwards. Not her best score but she is still getting back into it since the baby.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2nd round of the year, played well, 34 points. Noticed I was hitting my hybrid very well and straight, which is uncommon for me so pleased with that.

2 annoying things happened to sour the round by members of the club we played.

2 par 3's back to back. We've played this course a fair bit and if the course is busy it's these 2 holes that tends to back up a little. As we left the green to the first par 3 the group behind got to the tee. As we played our tee shots none of the group had hit the green and another 3 ball got to the tee of the first par 3 waiting for the group to play out the hole.

I'd hit the green and as they were still waiting and I overheard them taking about the group in front of them being slow and known for it. We holed out and went to the next tee. By the time we'd tee'd off another group were waiting on the first par 3, the 3 ball had just tee'd off on the 2nd par 3 and noticed a guy walking towards us to talk to us. He started by saying 'dont take this the wrong way but if you could keep moving to not slow the course down as there's a full comp on today ' and walked off!! We were taken a back and didn't react but obviously chuntered a few swear words.

2nd incident happened a few holes later. Par 4, 350ish yard, bell around 250 as your blind to the tee box as the next tee box is to the right. Again we were infront and played our second shots, rang the bell and finished the hole to walk to the next tee, next to the bell. Group behind catches up and walks over to ring the bell and says 'not members are you lads?' 'no, just visiting ' 'yes, thought so, you didn't ring the bell so assumed you weren't ' we very politely told him that we did ring bell but that they probably didn't hear it because they were so far behind.

This has happened a few times at courses, members making comments - not much but a couple of times - but why feel the need. It's really not a good look and there was no reason to do so. Real shame as the course is great and I've said before when we've played that I join if I was going to join a club but this has really soured the course unfortunately. Might be an overreaction but it was really uneccesary.

Springveldt

Visit site
Texas Scramble today. We played well as a team, but couldn’t sink a putt for love nor money. Ended up with 64.7, 54 was winning when we put our card in.

Very enjoyable and I played the best I have for months, maybe both facts are related.
Looks like the 54 was just clubhouse chatter (we heard the same when we finished) as the winning score was 55.7.

We had a gross 62 for a 59.1 and felt we only really left 2 shots out there (1 and 7 both holes we failed to hole out from about 6 feet) and we were never in danger of dropping a shot just some medium length putts didn’t drop. We had so many 3 inch tap ins for par.

Good day though, we all had a laugh on the way round with just a bit of frustration when we came off with putts that didn’t drop.

Last edited:

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Played yesterday with 3 pals, 81 blows not a great score but didnt play badly. Had a wobble at 12,13,14 with double bogeys out of nowhere only to birdie 15. It's a stupid game at times. Thankfully the company was top quality.

Next Saturday we've managed to nab the 1st tee time so we'll be back in the clubhouse in time to watch Our King's Coronation.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thought I had turned a corner on Saturday, but pretty dire today.

Driving was terrible - 5 holes blobbed as a result. Irons weren't much better. Found a bit of form late on with 10 points for the last 4 holes, for a miserable total of 26.

Singles ko match tomorrow, was feeling quietly confident about it, now expecting a sound thrashing :confused:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out at 07.01 on The Buddon for 2nd round qualifying and shot 72 to be 4 over and 1 over nett , outside chance might sneak into the matchplay but lot better conditions today , still cold but not so windy

Visit site
I played Royal Ashdown Forest on Monday.

What a place. Not going to lie, I wasn’t expecting much really but wanted to cross it off the list. I thought it was only rated highly due to a lack of competition in the surrounding area. I was completely wrong.

We played the mini course to warm up and it was very wet and quite untidy around the edges. I actually considered getting a refund on my old course green fee and going home after lunch because it was a bit disappointing.

On the old course, holes 6 to 12 is one of the best stretches of holes I have played for scenery, difficulty and sheer outrageousness. And in all honesty, there was hardly a weak hole - something that is a true rarity.

A proper old school setup, they don’t just make courses like that any more. 250 yard par 3 and a 498 yard par 4 - tough gig 😬

I got beaten up, scored in the 90s for the first time in a long while, but loved it. One of those courses you would pay good money to see a tour pro take on, because you just want to see it played properly 🤣

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a match today against a guy off 30, tbh I didn't think we even had any members that high. Giving 2 shots on 9 holes. Decent conditions and I hit it ok apart from 7th one of his 2 shot holes where I hit a good drive then found the greenside bunker with my 2nd. Won quite easily in the end, 6 and 5. On a couple of occasions he was still putting despite already playing way to many shots. On a couple of holes he was still marking his ball despite me being in for birdies and he was probably putting for at least an 8

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a match today against a guy off 30, tbh I didn't think we even had any members that high. Giving 2 shots on 9 holes. Decent conditions and I hit it ok apart from 7th one of his 2 shot holes where I hit a good drive then found the greenside bunker with my 2nd. Won quite easily in the end, 6 and 5. On a couple of occasions he was still putting despite already playing way to many shots. On a couple of holes he was still marking his ball despite me being in for birdies and he was probably putting for at least an 8
These are probably the same players that putt out in a Stableford when their last chance of getting a point was four shots previously 🙄. Just pick the thing up if you can’t score.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played off the whites today for the first time this year in the fuddle. Flippin eck it was long. Suffice to say I joint won the back nine with 18 points and came joint second overall. Suffice to say I came in for a bit of ribbing coz Ave told them I am playing off the whites on Club Qual competition days. 25 of us played.