I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've not been going the range a lot in the last few months as i think its been detrimental to my game but my irons were awful on sunday (probably hit two acceptable irons in 18 holes), so thought i'd try and fix it.
Got 50 balls and walked the end of the range. I had a hybrid, 6i, 9i and 54.
Of my first 30 balls, I must have hit 25 sh*nks, no matter what i was doing or club i used.
I grabbed 3 range balls, left the remainder and walked on the course and played 3 holes. Hit some lovely irons shots, great contact, ball flight etc.

it must be some issue with alignment on the range but im not going again for the foreseeable future!
My experience is that my shank was (and still is) down to one thing. I did not know what that was, so if on the range I started hitting shanks and tried ‘everything‘ to fix it I just made it worse because I was not addressing the core problem. I went to my pro and he spotted the problem and we have been working to address it. I hit three shanks Sunday past. I had not hit one for a couple of months. I have a lesson on Tuesday to check what I am doing as I may have drifted back to my ‘bad old’ ways without realising it.

Even before I addressed the core issue, I could play on the course for weeks on end without hitting one because my swing was sufficiently grooved to avoid it. But do one and then try fix it…not a chance as I did not know my swing and the issue was much more fundamental than any tweak or suggestion I might try if I did one on the range.

Springveldt

Visit site
Nightmare that. I hate giving shots on par 3's.
The par 3 in question was playing 208 yards yesterday into the wind with a long, narrow green and bunkers on both sides. According to my stats I hit that GIR at a whopping 11%. I’m happy to take my 4 and move on most of the time.

Springveldt

Visit site
As I said last week, golf is a strange game at times. Really struggled off the tee last night, we were looking for my ball on about 5 holes (managed to find it each time) but my recovery game was great. Managed to limit the damage on a lot of holes, keeping doubles off the card. Ended up shooting 78 (+8) for a 5.6 differential, which I was happy with.

First round off the whites, course still very wet and played pretty long. Preferred lies on the fairway only so you were guaranteed a mud ball when you missed the fairway and I missed them a lot. Greens were “stodgy”, I felt some of them maybe shouldn’t have been on as we were leaving footprints on them. Hadn’t been cut either due to being so wet.

More rain forecast this weekend, brilliant.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moor Park today - course is clearly having serious work done to it and there were definite improvements compared to last year so an enjoyable visit.

They spent £3million on 36 hole drainage over winter 🤯

The clubhouse is the most amazing clubhouse in the country, surely?
Had my wedding reception there. :D Have never played the course though!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The par 3 in question was playing 208 yards yesterday into the wind with a long, narrow green and bunkers on both sides. According to my stats I hit that GIR at a whopping 11%. I’m happy to take my 4 and move on most of the time.

Likewise, I'd normally be happy with a 4 there, but not yesterday as it lost me the hole.

AussieKB

Visit site
I played Royal Ashdown Forest on Monday.

What a place. Not going to lie, I wasn’t expecting much really but wanted to cross it off the list. I thought it was only rated highly due to a lack of competition in the surrounding area. I was completely wrong.

We played the mini course to warm up and it was very wet and quite untidy around the edges. I actually considered getting a refund on my old course green fee and going home after lunch because it was a bit disappointing.

On the old course, holes 6 to 12 is one of the best stretches of holes I have played for scenery, difficulty and sheer outrageousness. And in all honesty, there was hardly a weak hole - something that is a true rarity.

A proper old school setup, they don’t just make courses like that any more. 250 yard par 3 and a 498 yard par 4 - tough gig 😬

I got beaten up, scored in the 90s for the first time in a long while, but loved it. One of those courses you would pay good money to see a tour pro take on, because you just want to see it played properly 🤣
A friend of mine was GM there for a while and I always loved the course, if you can play to your handicap then you have really played well for a visitor, think the first time I played it, I did not notice that there were no bunkers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest....getting a bit fed up with the damn wind!!
It just makes our ourselves 3 times trickier...
Almost up to the challenge - 35 points from a very relaxed social round....
Love golf:love:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the Buddon and giving away 9 shots as it turned out, lost the 1st to a par with a shot and was 3 down after 4. Got it back to 1 down at the turn but he then had 3 shot holes on the bounce as was 3 down with 6 to play but won the next 5 holes to win 2&1 being 4 over par. Into last 32 now .
Giving away 4 shots today again on the Buddon, wind up . Holed a monster putt on 1st for birdie then he had bounced off back of bunker on 2 to 4 foot to be all square. Nipped and tucked but one up at the turn . Lost a couple of shot holes to be one down after 15 but then he knobbed one into the fairway bunker. All square, bulletted a 5 iron to 15 foot on par 3 17th for 2 putt par and he was short and failed to get up and down. Held out for half on the last so into last 16 and by the forecast gong to get wet tomorrow morning.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A medal today and I was keen to see if my lesson a earler in the week had had a possitive effect on my game,
It did not start well, skyed my tee shot into a brook, holed 6 footer for a double bogey, I ht 3 nice shots onto the 2nd green, 4 putted! THree good shots on the 3rd put me in a green side bunker, thinned it over the green, chipped on and 3 putted, bogied 4th, 3 putted 5th, duffed chip and then 3 putted the 6th. After 6 holes I was 13 over and had taken 17 putts, I then went par, birdie before another mess including a 3 putt on the 9th, for a shocking gross 51
I play the back 9 in 4 over.

What a shambles, although at least my long game was solid after being shakey for a few weeks, now if only I could get the pace of the greens

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently on "the lads annual outing'. Played @ Bristol Golf Club yesterday- drove the ball like I've never done before - long and straight. Really satisfied with my overall performance. Only a couple of errors (Mod Edit) cost me. 32 pts. Played today at The Kendleshire and a completely different story. Tops, hooks, and slices abounded. A few good shots in there but generally cack. A mere 23 pts. What a difference a day makes. Only saving grace is that the rest of them didn't do well today either. All to.play for tomorrow.
Played our final round of the trip on the Codrington course at The Player's Club. At least my driving was back on song, and putting was back on track. But half a dozen complete duffs cost me half a dozen points. Came third overall. Pretty pleased as most of the oppo' have ridiculous 'handicaps' - the only two of us who have official indexes usually come in the bottom half of the table.... But can't ever persuade the 'organiser' that the others are actually rather better players than the indexes he gives them.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First round of the seniors pairs ko, drawn against a couple of decent players who were giving me 3 shots and 5 to my partner.

We got off to a flyer, winning the first 2 holes, and were 4 up by the turn. We kept the pressure on, both of us playing well, and ended up winning 7&5.

Bizarrely, we won 8 of the 13 holes, but only 1 of the 3 where we got shots.

Very enjoyable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Senior open today, hit it ok but scored poorly, drove the ball very well which just meant on a few of holes on the front 9 I was in bunkers I don't usually reach. Immaterial though a guy of 18 shot 81 gross first out😂 CR is 73😉

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it was spring yesterday :cool:

Nice start of Guiness, Guiness, double bogey, treble bogey....and 2 more trebles in the round...to finish a winner and 38 points :)

The next 3 Guiness on the balcony with the sun out and a good crowd were wonderful! 2.5 mile dog walk followed today to collect the car!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Stableford today, steady 18 points on the front 9 but a very bad piece of course management on the 13th saw me trying to hit the green after an indifferent drive resulting in a lost ball.

Good finish though and ended up on 35 but should have been better. (For those that are interested, and I know that most are, I had three blobs)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a game at Sidmouth today with three friends. Other than tee shots I don’t think there is a flat lie/stance on the course. As a one off I quite enjoyed it but some very quirky holes with a couple of nice ones. Not sure I would say the same if I played there in the summer as I would think it would be impossible to keep a ball on the fairway. It was in excellent condition considering the amount of rain recently.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Rain again today after two dry day and the course is playing soooo long it's not real. I have never in my life played so many hybrids and fairways. Just for a bit of perspective, we had our best supported comp on Tuesday, the Mid-Week Stableford. The first 3 scores in each of the three divisions were: A 39, 36, 35. B 38, 37, 37. C 41, 37, 36.

As stated this is the club's best supported comp with, generally all the best players taking part and that was the best they could muster. It's a real slog and I find my self praying for some sun.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rain again today after two dry day and the course is playing soooo long it's not real. I have never in my life played so many hybrids and fairways. Just for a bit of perspective, we had our best supported comp on Tuesday, the Mid-Week Stableford. The first 3 scores in each of the three divisions were: A 39, 36, 35. B 38, 37, 37. C 41, 37, 36.

As stated this is the club's best supported comp with, generally all the best players taking part and that was the best they could muster. It's a real slog and I find my self praying for some sun.

I must say they have been the sort of scores we have become used to seeing since the WHS came into being, and also since we started playing all our stablefords from the very back tees.

Personally, I’d rather see a stableford won by a hard fought 39 than a ridiculous score on the high 40’s.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I must say they have been the sort of scores we have become used to seeing since the WHS came into being, and also since we started playing all our stablefords from the very back tees.

Personally, I’d rather see a stableford won by a hard fought 39 than a ridiculous score on the high 40’s.
It's a slow burner at our place. Always starts off with low scores but as the year progresses the scores always go through the roof. However, during that slow start there have always been outliers, there have always been the ridiculous scores in the mid-forties that having been out there competing defy belief, but not this year.
On Sunday there was a Bogey comp and the A Div winner came in at level, it's just playing really really long.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out for 12 again after the kids went down and once again felt like I was just donating balls to the course.

8 over through the first 6 (with a 9 on the par 4 5th hole!).

Then the last 6 was played 2 over, with one of them being a really frustrating 3 putt.

Need to donsome work understanding my yardages i think. Flew the green a couple of times today. The most incredulous being on the 18th where I was 160 yards out and thought I'd play an 8 as there was no point in being long (back pin)... over the back by a good 15 yards. There was a a hint of a breeze behind but not a good 2 clubs worth.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Giving away 4 shots today again on the Buddon, wind up . Holed a monster putt on 1st for birdie then he had bounced off back of bunker on 2 to 4 foot to be all square. Nipped and tucked but one up at the turn . Lost a couple of shot holes to be one down after 15 but then he knobbed one into the fairway bunker. All square, bulletted a 5 iron to 15 foot on par 3 17th for 2 putt par and he was short and failed to get up and down. Held out for half on the last so into last 16 and by the forecast gong to get wet tomorrow morning.
And yes it was wet and windy for the first 6 holes 🌧 but rain eased by then . Giving away 7 shots and oppo played very well, was 4 down at the turn lost 10 so told my mate to rev up the motor were going home 😅. Then went birdie par birdie on 13th to go.back to 3 down with 5 to play but Spectacles did for me and we shook hands on the 15th.
Great week, 3 rounds on Buddon and the Championship was fantastic value ,just a shame about the weather .