I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Little academy 9 hole comp this pm - with each academy member playing as a pair with their mentor. Started off in rain pouring down but it dried up after four holes. Format was aggregate stableford for each pair with PH = CH. Problem. It was awfully slow. As most members of the academy had two shots on most or every hole, some off 54 had three on every hole, they could just keep going as they were not out of it even if they were very unlikely to score any points.

I enjoyed it (my 3 over gross for 19pts helped) but suggestions please for alternative less painful a format…better ball and PH = 85%CH is an obvious starter - but any novel formats that keep the very high handicap player invested in each hole for as long as possible.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great morning at my new (old) course. Played with three great lads, one who is considering returning like I have done. We had to play the front nine twice as back was shut. This is no mean feat at ours. We left the best till last. Two of us hooked off the tee over to the practice area. Miles back and behind trees Tone describes his shot. Go on then Rory, I said, he plays off 14. He hit a superb shot clean over the trees with a fade and landed it on the back of the green with the river behind trying to suck it in. I then followed with the exact same shot. I said to him we should now give up golf, as we will never do a better shot. I was serious. They were awesome

Newtonuti

Visit site
Great morning at my new (old) course. Played with three great lads, one who is considering returning like I have done. We had to play the front nine twice as back was shut. This is no mean feat at ours. We left the best till last. Two of us hooked off the tee over to the practice area. Miles back and behind trees Tone describes his shot. Go on then Rory, I said, he plays off 14. He hit a superb shot clean over the trees with a fade and landed it on the back of the green with the river behind trying to suck it in. I then followed with the exact same shot. I said to him we should now give up golf, as we will never do a better shot. I was serious. They were awesome

it's shots like that, that keep you coming back!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Play greensomes! Min 4 drives taken per player.

(Bring cheap balls!)
That would work, though we already play similar in occasional 5 hole Texas Scrambles, but limits the involvement of the AM, and greensomes would still put too much pressure on them.

I’m looking for some (maybe invented) format that exposes them to the pressure and fun of competition, but not too much, and that keeps them involved in each hole if poss. If me and my AM had played greensomes yesterday we would maybe have scored at most one pt a hole probably less; our companion pairing might well have scored zero in total - and for AMs of both pairings that would have been utterly demoralising and they would both feel bad for letting their mentors down.

We scored 30pts yesterday. I scored 19 with my 3 over gross, AM buddy contributed 11. He saw me playing well and that put him under pressure he couldn‘t cope with (when your CH is 34 I suppose playing with someone who plays 9 holes in 3 over is daunting). He felt bad and that he’d badly let me down. He hadn’t, but that was what he felt.

Aggregate stableford worked fine as a format…except it just too slow as the AMs could keep going struggling away given the shots they received - so on a par 5 the AM with 3 shots has to have played 9 before picking up. Playing our par 5 1st yesterday with the rain lashing down I felt we’d never reach the green 🙄

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Little academy 9 hole comp this pm - with each academy member playing as a pair with their mentor. Started off in rain pouring down but it dried up after four holes. Format was aggregate stableford for each pair with PH = CH. Problem. It was awfully slow. As most members of the academy had two shots on most or every hole, some off 54 had three on every hole, they could just keep going as they were not out of it even if they were very unlikely to score any points.

I enjoyed it (my 3 over gross for 19pts helped) but suggestions please for alternative less painful a format…better ball and PH = 85%CH is an obvious starter - but any novel formats that keep the very high handicap player invested in each hole for as long as possible.

What about the format we talked about in the drive for dough thread. Something like Mentor plays tee to green then AM putts, then AM plays from tee to green and Mentor putts? Sure you could mod it so AMs get the easier holes too?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What about the format we talked about in the drive for dough thread. Something like Mentor plays tee to green then AM putts, then AM plays from tee to green and Mentor putts? Sure you could mod it so AMs get the easier holes too?
Nice blue sky thinking…and just the sort of idea I’m looking for 👍. Unfortunately some AMs might not get their mentor to the green when it’s their turn. But I still like the idea as the mentor can make up for it on their holes.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
play a texas scramble but there must be at least one shot a hole from each player, unless you birdie....?
Interesting twist on normal TS 👍 Mentor would have to watch out for playing all shots through the green and the. unexpectedly chipping in - that would default to a blob regardless. 🤣

peld

Visit site
Interesting twist on normal TS 👍 Mentor would have to watch out for playing all shots through the green and the. unexpectedly chipping in - that would default to a blob regardless. 🤣
well if he chipped in then you'd have the play the mentee ball if they had only taken mentors shots up to that point!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m conjuring up a variant on this.

Mentor and AM take turns playing the tee shot. The other player then plays to the green at which point then player who played the tee shot putts and holes out.

This means that if the AM messes up the tee shot the mentor can recover the situation and the AM gets to putt for the points = Feel Good. On the holes where mentor plays the tee shot hopefully the ball will be in a decent place for the AM to play shots to the green, when hopefully the mentor still has a chance of putting for points = Feel Good.

Let’s say on a par 4 with mentor teeing off…to give the mentor 2 putts for a point the AM has to get the ball onto the green in four shots after the mentors tee shot. Feels achievable.

This way the AM gets a feel for the pressure associated with each aspect of the game, without the pressure being on all the time through a hole. Plus even if AM messes up the tee shot he can still win the points…😊

No idea what handicap to apply. Hazard stake-in-ground of 80% of AM plus 40% of mentor. So with with an AM off CH of 34 and mentor off 10 - pair would get a PH of 27 plus 4, so 31. So pairing gets 2 shots on holes SI 1-15 and 1 shot on SI 16-18.

Thoughts.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I’m conjuring up a variant on this.

Mentor and AM take turns playing the tee shot. The other player then plays to the green at which point then player who played the tee shot putts and holes out.

This means that if the AM messes up the tee shot the mentor can recover the situation and the AM gets to putt for the points = Feel Good. On the holes where mentor plays the tee shot hopefully the ball will be in a decent place for the AM to play shots to the green, when hopefully the mentor still has a chance of putting for points = Feel Good.

Let’s say on a par 4 with mentor teeing off…to give the mentor 2 putts for a point the AM has to get the ball onto the green in four shots after the mentors tee shot. Feels achievable.

This way the AM gets a feel for the pressure associated with each aspect of the game, without the pressure being on all the time through a hole. Plus even if AM messes up the tee shot he can still win the points…😊

No idea what handicap to apply. Hazard stake-in-ground of 80% of AM plus 40% of mentor. So with with an AM off CH of 34 and mentor off 10 - pair would get a PH of 27 plus 4, so 31. So pairing gets 2 shots on holes SI 1-15 and 1 shot on SI 16-18.

Thoughts.
You could play chapman pairs, that way you'll almost certainly be near the green before its alternate shot? Also theres already a handicap calculation....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1st Rnd Midweek K/O Match. Pouring rain but we decided to just go for it. Won 5-3; giving 4 shots I played really solid matchplay golf. Level par gross at turn and 4 up. Unlucky 3 putt on 10th to lose hole but then played par golf to win on 15th, having only dropped the one shot to par by that point. Pleasing,

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
1st Rnd Midweek K/O Match. Pouring rain but we decided to just go for it. Won 5-3; giving 4 shots I played really solid matchplay golf. Level par gross at turn and 4 up. Unlucky 3 putt on 10th to lose hole but then played par golf to win on 15th, having only dropped the one shot to par by that point. Pleasing,

Bandit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
😊…or the fruits starting to show of 18months of hard work on changing my swing path (that had been ‘grooved’ over 35yrs). Even in last couple of weeks a narrowing of my stance has delivered improvements, but I’ve had to change my swing path first.

Now feeling that my July 2021 two year objective of getting my HI to 5.8 (my club back tee CH 6) is now realistic and achievable by end of September, currently 8.1. Still going to take a bit of doing though, but I think I’ve got the game to do it, just need to convert the game to the required scores…🤔

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For once the weather forecasters got it right
Dry until 10ish.
Out at 6.30 in the half light..finished 9.49..rain came just as I closed my boot.
Perfect timing...:ROFLMAO:
The golf..?
Average...no luck on the greens....had 4 or 5 lipouts on the front 9 alone....
Dropped a good score off so the index will be about 5.4 tomorrow morning....

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
3 of us shot out quickly as there were rumours the course May close due to fog, done in a touch over 3 hours.

New low score record for me of +3 gross. Nothing amazing just no significant mistakes.

11 FIR, 10 GIR 31 putts
2 birdies, 5 bogeys 11 pars

Attachments

• 66989BF1-BE92-4876-AE5E-EBB2F6EAA52C.jpeg
    66989BF1-BE92-4876-AE5E-EBB2F6EAA52C.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13