I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Course very wet in parts but not in places it matters if it gets a bit churned up. Otherwise mostly pretty good underfoot. But set up long with most holes playing off the stones, and with the wind never helping and with fairways giving very little in the way of roll-out - so little more than carry…phew - course played as long and tough as it can.

Played to my PH but a bit frustrated with myself as carelessly chucked away a load of shots, and only missed by a couple our 2022 medal winners comp I was playing in which was won with a one under PH. Ended up 4th so that’s ok.

Only 2 over at turn, and that was the careless short game double on 9 🙄, but proceeded to continue with my carelessness around the green and dropped another 7 in 7 holes. Ah well. The really positive thing was that my overall game feels, and I’m playing, pretty solid and consistent. Bodes well for whatever is to come.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course was closed, which we were surprised at as it hasn't really rained since Friday. We got a booking at Stockley Park which isn't too far away. It was pretty dry over there and very playable. Since we last went there (probably over 3 years ago) they've changed the order of the course for some reason, and most of the old back nine is now the front nine and vice versa. On the plus side they've got rid of the stupid 90 yard opening hole they used to have too, and put a dogleg par 4 in it's place. Grass was a little long on the fairways but don't mind that after the recent rain.

I doubled the first two par 5s which was annoying, both due to missing greens and having to try and chip off bare mud. Otherwise started to play well though, managed a great birdie on the 6th which helped me towards 18 points for the front nine. (Course handicap is 15 here.) Run of five bogeys on the back nine, but parred three of the last four to add another 18 points, 36 total. 87 gross. On the par 5 18th (this is actually the same hole that was previously the 18th with the water right of the green) I was just two feet short of the green in two, so was actually disappointed with par to be honest.

Absolutely shattered now, the one thing I probably don't like about the course is that it's such a long walk! At least three occasions where you've got a 200 odd yard walk to the next tee. Usual step count for a round is about 13000, this one was 16000!

Main thing is I played well for the second time this week. I'm really, really ready for some nice weather now though. Thought it was going to be nice today but it was overcast and very windy for most of it. Typically the sun came out just as we teed off the 18th. The way I've been playing I'm quietly hopefully I can get down to 11 this summer. Or at least 12 at worst.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The annual 5 club competition today. Started with a birdie on the 1st and a par on second but it was windy and cold and the greens were slower than normal. Finished tied 14th out of 99 starters- take that for the first comp this year

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Medal today...I'm so glad I get to play lots during the week because I'd end up shooting someone if I continually p,aged in a 2 ball at 3 ball pace because people don't think about letting groups through...it's not that the 3 balls are slow..they just don't let 2 balls through....even when there's space ahead.
Waited on virtually every shot and it took all of my concentration to stay to handicap for 15 holes..
Then I just mentally wandered off somewhere and dropped 5 in the last 3 to finish nett 75, 4 over handicap.
Bloody annoying although I'd have been nowhere near the win...
One of our -1 indexers shot a gross 63 - 8 under......could equal the course record......
Fragger's defence of his Title faltered........well, it got blown apart really....not his best day...

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
First medal and comp of the year that I've been able to actually finish (first two cancelled due to rain).

Put my old Cleveland putter back in the bag, as beautiful as the £300 Odyssey putter I've bought is, I just prefer the feel and weight of the £70 putter 😂

Proceeded to make a 20-25 foot putt on the 1st to make par.

Putting and driving were decent for the majority of the day. Didn't play horrifically but conditions are tough, as to be expected.

93 gross for 78 nett. Losing one of my 8 counting scores so unfortunately the handicap is going to go up again...... Onwards and upwards.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bounce match with a friend today on the French Riviera
3rd hole - 139 yard downhill par 3
8 iron - 1 inch left of the cup
1 inch!!!!
Did it look like this? (Photo from behind the hole). If you haven’t had a HIO yet I feel your pain as it took me about 35 years to get one. Before it happened this was my best effort.
IMG_0562.jpeg

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Picked up my new irons yesterday (Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pros), which have replaced my Ping G700s. Played in a Texas scramble with them yesterday and this morning in the roll up. 37pts today and and new irons are really nice (slightly heavier shaft which gives me a better feeling of control).

Smoj

Visit site
Decided now I am a member at a club, to start strong and decided to play 36 holes today.. was a fantastic afternoon wetherwise. proper spring afternoon.

first round shot a 102 - 41 putts --- tried out a new ping anser 2 putter, and couldnt get on with it at all.. everything was 'off' compared to my odyssey ten with a white hot insert.
also dialed my driver and woods and hyrbid down a notch too, driver wasnt working at all in the first round, and my 3 wood was just about making things playable. was a hard afternoon on the course, but my flatout worst game still is only a 102 which makes things a little easier to take.

second round shot a 78 -- 31 putts ---- a few easier putts due to some nice chipping and wedge play, decided to use the 3 wood exclusively off the tee until a par 5 then the driver decided to work, and managed 1 over in the back 9 which was a nice end to a long day on the course.

decided to go back to my odyssey ten putter, and also decided to replace my 4iron with my 60 degree, as i think i could of used that a bit this afternoon without having to trust my 56sw for every shot under 50 yards. and my hybrid can take care of anything my 4 iron can do.

back out again tomorrow o_O:cool:

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decided now I am a member at a club, to start strong and decided to play 36 holes today.. was a fantastic afternoon wetherwise. proper spring afternoon.

first round shot a 102 - 41 putts --- tried out a new ping anser 2 putter, and couldnt get on with it at all.. everything was 'off' compared to my odyssey ten with a white hot insert.
also dialed my driver and woods and hyrbid down a notch too, driver wasnt working at all in the first round, and my 3 wood was just about making things playable. was a hard afternoon on the course, but my flatout worst game still is only a 102 which makes things a little easier to take.

second round shot a 78 -- 31 putts ---- a few easier putts due to some nice chipping and wedge play, decided to use the 3 wood exclusively off the tee until a par 5 then the driver decided to work, and managed 1 over in the back 9 which was a nice end to a long day on the course.

decided to go back to my odyssey ten putter, and also decided to replace my 4iron with my 60 degree, as i think i could of used that a bit this afternoon without having to trust my 56sw for every shot under 50 yards. and my hybrid can take care of anything my 4 iron can do.

back out again tomorrow o_O:cool:
In the entire year of 2022 my best round was 76 and my worst was 98 - you managed a bigger range than that in one day. 😂

Smoj

Visit site
In the entire year of 2022 my best round was 76 and my worst was 98 - you managed a bigger range than that in one day. 😂
it only took 6hours and 30 minutes for 2 rounds and 500 emotions :LOL:, as a 1 ball, and the course was fairly quiet today.
in 2022 my worst round was 120 (what a day that was) and my best was 79.

D

Deleted member 31467

I played in a competition today where a guy had a HIO and 2 birdies on the par 3's but in both cases he missed the green and chipped in so 0 putts on the short holes!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Another 73. I think I’ve figured out why I play well on occasion, the penny dropped while doing another 9 that turned into 11 this evening…

I mean this wit the utmost respect for the older player but when I play with older chaps I don’t feel the need to smash it…. I just plod along swinging well within my limits.

The 9 (11) later on was with a buddy and subconsciously there’s obviously an ego battle going on as I has way more wayward shots and I knew I was going after it…

Anyway another 73, it’s in there, I just need to let it flow.
10/13 FIR
10 GIR
31 putts
1 birdie, 13 pars, 4 bogeys. +3

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just a small roll-up this morning, bogeyed the first then got called through by a four-ball on the par 3 second, the golf gods smiled and I hit a lovely 7 iron close and casually rolled in the birdie putt.

But boy did they extract their dues over the rest of the round, played absolute rubbish, shanks, tops, fats, etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Royal Dornoch this morning, cracking day, bit of breeze across the course. Played with my mate who's off +1, refused yo give any shots the mean so and so🤣. Played well on the front 9 and was 4 up at the turn thanks to a birdies at the 2nd 5th and 8th. He came back strong on the back 9 into the breeze with 5 birdies🙄 the bugger. All square on 18th tee which he won with a par after I went in a fairway bunker off the tee. Course in great condition for the time of the year. New tees in place on the 8th all ready-to-wear go, it's going to be a much harder hole. All the gorse gone on the right and the tee at least 80/100 yards further back so only the very longest will be able to get down the slope.