I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A very solid day at the office today..
Slight grass frost to begin but all gone by the 4th...
Didn't get value for money today as I only hit it 76 times....
Handicap down to 4.8
Best thing about today?
Keeping a 6 off the card for the first time in I don't know how long.....
Do you do lessons in how to keep a 6 off the card?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
New course for me - Desert Springs in Hobbit country. Nice place, nice course and some interesting holes. But if you can't keep it straight, you're in trouble. Fairways not wide and the 'picon' wasteland (ie the rough) either side is deadly. I'd certainly give it another go now I know the layout. But gawd it was slow. The group I played with was possibly the slowest group I've ever been in. And we were getting held up by the group in front ... Five and a half hours.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
New course for me - Desert Springs in Hobbit country. Nice place, nice course and some interesting holes. But if you can't keep it straight, you're in trouble. Fairways not wide and the 'picon' wasteland (ie the rough) either side is deadly. I'd certainly give it another go now I know the layout. But gawd it was slow. The group I played with was possibly the slowest group I've ever been in. And we were getting held up by the group in front ... Five and a half hours.

Not been there since covid, but have stayed there several times. I used to stick some thick electrical tape on the sole of several irons for visits to the wasteland! Otherwise you can mess up you clubs. Do like the place though

Grizzly

Visit site
Fantastic day, Fantastic course, Fantastic partners. and a big thank you to Iain for inviting me to join him. I've just got the results through and I finished 6th, so I'm well please with that, not bad for an old boy who only hits 200 yards off the tee, although that's still further than Bratty, but up against Dando, well that's a different matter.
Just realised that's my Invitation to Westerham scuppered

Well played mate - its not how far you hit it, its how many times you hit it!

Great day - good company, a suitably discarded pink castle tee for comedy value, and North Foreland is a lovely course (albeit with some brutally difficult par 4's) and the Club is very welcoming of visitors.

Last edited:

oleinone

Visit site
Duffed tee shot on downhill 200yd par three leaving an 80 yd pitch to the lower level flag. Hit an absolute peach of a wedge which clattered straight into the hole.Five holes later, drove the green and holed the most unlikely putt for an eagle. Makes up for the days when things are so bad you wish you had stayed in bed!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
out early this morning in the fog, but avoided the rain.

Drove the ball well which gave me great scoring opportunities, but our greens have just been done so putting was a bit of a lottery but left myself with a lot of tap in pars and was never really in any trouble. Round in a total of 74, so very happy for an early morning stroll. Now off the winter tees our course is playing quite short, counted up at the end of the round and I only hit 5 iron shots all round and 3 of those were tee shots. The big one for me was that there were no real errors, which made a big difference.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early with CVG, no rain until the 14th/15th and it was getting a little uncomfortable towards the end in a strengthening breeze...
Starting on the back 9 I had a double on the par 3 10th....just didn't hit a decent shot..a bogey to follow but was steady after that to turn with 17 points
Uber-steady 2nd 9 with 3 bogeys that were within half an inch of being pars..no dramas, no stress.....
35 in total, not enough to beat the Grandad with 39.
Nice get in before the real rain started....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
1st game this week, not a bad day, light easterly. Hit it ok, though didn't really hole anything, but Did hit my irons well. Got lucky , just as we left the clubhouses it started hammering it down.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swindle today and because of the recent deluge of rain we are back to carry only. Still playing well and won this week with a 1 under for 41 points. 20 out and 21 back.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Splodge, splodge, splodge. 9 holes definitely enough today. 9 temp greens, course should have been closed. Splodge 😄.

Oddly enough, best I've hit my irons for some time, off a mat of course. Weird game.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Splodge, splodge, splodge. 9 holes definitely enough today. 9 temp greens, course should have been closed. Splodge 😄.

Oddly enough, best I've hit my irons for some time, off a mat of course. Weird game.

You are right, it should have been closed, it was in a right state with standing water all over the place.

I only lasted 9 holes as well, but that was more to do with how dreadful my golf was. The other 3 lads carried on, god knows what the back 9 was like as it’s normally much more prone to being wet than the front 9.

I had a discussion with a committee member a while back about closing the course when it’s very wet. He said when they close the course, they get stick from members saying it should be open, and when they don’t close it, they get get stick from members saying it should be shut.

As a result, they decided the course would remain open unless it was in a dangerous condition, the rationale being it would police itself as no one would want to play if it was really bad. I don’t think that argument stands up, particularly not on a Saturday morning.

And if they really must leave it open, then make it carry only, there are the best part of 100 members down to play today, the vast majority will be using a trolley and making a right mess (guilty as charged here, my only defence was I had no idea how bad it would be, and never gave a thought to carrying, although I obviously would have if they had said that on the morning notification. )

Jason.H

Visit site
1st 18 hole round in 2 weeks. 37 points
16 front
21 back
3x3 putts and a no score hole on the front 9, a duck hook on the par 3 3rd stuck in my mind and I kept pushing or slicing right after that. Thankfully after hole 11 my swing was back.