I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeez, it was windy out there today, but certainly not cold.
We only played 14 holes, walked in as it looked moody up above and the heavens opened just as our pints arrived.
Oh, and out of nowhere, my driving suddenly got really good! :eek:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys ...well i say boys only 9 of us turned up. Forcaste was good 10 deg a bit of wind and dry. Well stated raining by the 2nd and lashing by the 3rd.i had high hopes today after my trip to the range yesterday.
Played pretty well apart from a bogey on the first as I hit my drive do far left it was on the other side of the 18th fairway. Good after that 4 birdies on the front 9, started the back with another on 10. Watched in disbelief as the two other groups heading in after the 11th as by this time it was really coming down. Birdied 12, but it was looking like getting worse, so we cut over to the 16th and played in from there. Two of us birdied 17 and 18, so even for 15 holes we had a pretty good team score. Alas when we hot in everyone had gone and n9t left their cash, the tight so and so's.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played today with my 8 clubs in a pencil bag and shot a very respectable 79. Two double bogies on the back nine marred a really steady round. Had my first proper winter thin today too….. bloody hell, felt it right through every finger on my right hand for about 5 minutes after.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Ellesborough yesterday for my mate's birthday. It was carry only but we had no idea why, never saw so much as a puddle all the way round. Greens were ridiculously fast for November, we weren't sure if we were in Aylesbury or Augusta. Consequently I started poorly with three-putts on the 2nd and 3rd costing me a few points. (Stroke index 18 on a 500 yard par 5, what's that about??)

Had a stupid blob on the 9th after a perfect drive but duffing the second when in between clubs and not committing, which left me having to flop it over some bunkers from a pile of leaves - didn't go well. 15 point front nine but the back nine was much better once I got used to the green speed - 20 points on the back for 35 total. Did a really good job on the par 3s for some reason as I parred four of them and bogeyed the other one.

88 gross, was pretty happy to break 90 on a new course which was hilly with quite a few blind shots and some very tricky to read greens. Weather was glorious but hitting into the low sun caused some real vision problems on the back nine.. My 35 points was enough for the win so happy with that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Went to Ellesborough yesterday for my mate's birthday. It was carry only but we had no idea why, never saw so much as a puddle all the way round. Greens were ridiculously fast for November, we weren't sure if we were in Aylesbury or Augusta. Consequently I started poorly with three-putts on the 2nd and 3rd costing me a few points. (Stroke index 18 on a 500 yard par 5, what's that about??)

Had a stupid blob on the 9th after a perfect drive but duffing the second when in between clubs and not committing, which left me having to flop it over some bunkers from a pile of leaves - didn't go well. 15 point front nine but the back nine was much better once I got used to the green speed - 20 points on the back for 35 total. Did a really good job on the par 3s for some reason as I parred four of them and bogeyed the other one.

88 gross, was pretty happy to break 90 on a new course which was hilly with quite a few blind shots and some very tricky to read greens. Weather was glorious but hitting into the low sun caused some real vision problems on the back nine.. My 35 points was enough for the win so happy with that.
Nice....and the greens are slow at the moment.
Come back in the summer;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played a social game in a 4-ball this morning. One of the chaps suggested individual stableford format with stakes of £1 each 9 and £3 for the game from each player, money to winner only.
This is more than is usual for me. £5 a man was agreed so I just went along with it. I'm just as happy playing for nowt on these occasions. A clean sweep by one player would see them going home £15 to the good.
The other problem was that I had not chosen my all-21st century clubs on which my handicap is based. I'll go through the set.
Cobra F-speed driver and 16d hybrid - £25 each in 2010
Cobra 20d hybrid - £14 this year.
Powerbilt oversize (perimeter weighted!) 2-rion - given to me by brother.
Forgan Powerpakt irons 2-9 (from 1961) - £10 the set last year. (two 2-irons in the bag, but more than 15 yards between them)
Cleveland Classic 691 58d wedge - £2.70 a few weeks ago and my first go with this club. (9-iron is 49d so don't panic)
Ben Sayers Opel Line One putter - £25 brand new in 1989.
A shade over £100 for the lot.
Other 3 chaps had playing handicaps of 12, 14 and 18. Me 5.

I went home with £13 as one chap managed to tie with me on the back nine.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Winter comp at Nairn Dunbar on a lovely sunny day. Can't say I hit it that well, but chipped and putted very well, one over for the front 9 curtesy of a short putt I missed from a foot on the 9th, as I just went up and tapped in, but it lipped out?couple of solid pars on 10 and 11 into a very strong breeze. Then blocked one way right on 12, racked up a treble. Steady for the rest of the round with one birdie on 15, 2 over for the back for a frustrating 75 gross.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Winter comp at Nairn Dunbar on a lovely sunny day. Can't say I hit it that well, but chipped and putted very well, one over for the front 9 curtesy of a short putt I missed from a foot on the 9th, as I just went up and tapped in, but it lipped out?couple of solid pars on 10 and 11 into a very strong breeze. Then blocked one way right on 12, racked up a treble. Steady for the rest of the round with one birdie on 15, 2 over for the back for a frustrating 75 gross.

How’s the hand?

D

Deleted member 1418

First knock for 3 weeks. Course holding up pretty well considering all the recent rain. Got to the club late which meant no warm up and literally putting shoes on running to the first tee, so pretty pleased with a gross 73 and 37 points for 2nd place in the swindle.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough conditions today, we’ve had a lot of rain this week and so the ground was very soft, still getting used to winter conditions after such a mild October and part of November. Nailed most of my drives down the middle but had barely any run on them, which cost me really. Game was very mixed, was on 28 points after 14 holes so bang on and thinking I might have a chance of a win, blobbed the next 2 holes and limped home with 31 points. Hero to zero in a matter of minutes. Such a frustrating game isn’t it. Would love to be playing tomorrow though!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our pro shop has put on a Saturday order of merit to run through the Winter, with individual stablefords each Saturday. Had my first go in one today and only my second round in five weeks. Took only eight clubs as I was carrying.

Drove really well using the new PXG driver and finally managed a number of good shots when needed with the 3-wood (a club I have rarely struck well). Ended up with 43pts to win this week’s competition and also picked up a 2.