I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Shot 101 today, had four, three putts, a 9 and an 8 on the card, why do I always compound one error with another ?
Ball striking was excellent and should of been a much better score than I had.

This happens so often. Our course is one of those where "take your medicine" is the best advice you can take, but I rarely do, and think I can recover from a bad shot - which often leads to losing one or two more. The 10th hole inparticular is a beast, a bad drive means you have to lay up short of the water - the temptation then is to try and rip a fairway wood in an attempt to make the green in 4 (it's still 300 yards away at this point), then you inevitably knob the fairway wood into the water, and you're playing your 5th shot and it's still about 270 yards to the green. Stroke index 2, so your only hope is to make an 8 for a solitary point if it's stableford.

I hate that hole. :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saturday - went to Wheathampstead nine holer with the wife, as we found out they had buggies available which she needs now (preggers). It was a funny course, there were two 145 ish yarders, and the rest were all between 190 and 250. One of those a long par 3 but the others were all really short par 4s. Consequently I got my first ever under par round! ? Three birdies, two bogeys for a 1 under 32. 25 points but was pipped to the post by my wife's 27! 47 gross for her. Nice little course and perfect hole lengths for her. Do need to cut her handicap though I think..

Today - went out this morning in the fog with my mate Ben. Joined up with two chaps we hadn't met before to make a four-ball, they only played 9 or 10 holes though. We started on the 13th, I was slicing the driver a little early doors but getting away with it mostly and managed 2 points per hole all the way through to the 18th. Then the wheels starting coming off. A duff in the mud by the 1st cost me a double, another slice on the 2nd this time found the ditch for another double. Three-putted the 3rd where I don't get a shot so I've managed 2 points on three holes. Got a superb birdie on the 4th however, with a beauty of a 7 iron & a 10 foot putt. As the other two chaps left us the four ball in front let us play through on the par 3 6th, and as I just mentioned in Golf Irritations, I promptly rushed my shot and shanked it out of bounds. Why do we always rush when someone lets us through?? So utterly infuriating. Another mud-duff on the left of the 10th meant I was firmly in the 'raging' camp, but I did hit a cracking 6 iron on the 11th for a decent par at least.

85 gross for 32 points, and walked off thoroughly peed off at the OOB shank and the two duffs, without which it would have been a perfectly decent round. Bah.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out this morning...and came in an hour quicker than yesterday......:whistle:
Pretty solid for the most part...only real blemish was a lost ball on the 6th
Approach shot clipped a branch and went right.
Normally its an easy find there but today it was ankle deep in leaves....
32 points but dropped a good score off so the index is going up to 4.7 and I get my shot on the 3rd back.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Billy no mates again, mate had let me down so many times this year. Smash we balls all over the place. Lost about 5, but found loads searching for mine. Not sure how many today as I've not emptied the bag yet. Course wet and soggy even after two dry days. Balls plugging in the middle of fairways. 31 points, but might put clubs away or find a drier course to play.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played with the regular group of a dozen members today, joint top score with 37 points off 16. Just 3 inches from a hole in one, the nearest I have ever been in over 30 years of golf.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in my first ever Texas Scramble today. Weather was awful, absolutely chucked it down, but thoroughly enjoyed it. We went round in one under par, net score 55.2, would think we'd have a decent chance of winning with that, particularly in those conditions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in my first ever Texas Scramble today. Weather was awful, absolutely chucked it down, but thoroughly enjoyed it. We went round in one under par, net score 55.2, would think we'd have a decent chance of winning with that, particularly in those conditions.
It is not quite the devil format some would have you believe. Utter filth out there today though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had read a few horror stories re the time it takes, but we got round in 3 hours 40 mins. Can't complain about that.
I've played a lot of scrambles at previous clubs. The delays only really occur if people are incapable of making a decision about which shot to take. You really need a half decent captain, or two players ideally, who have the backbone to make clear decisions. Most are obvious, not just length of shot but fitting in everyone's drives etc. When you have that set up, you power around. When you have 4 ultra polite players or a few players with big egos who want their shot to be taken more often than not, that is when the delays kick in. When you have a decent bunch in your group it really is a lot of fun.

sjw

Visit site
After a horrendous 114 at my local course at the weekend, last night I scored an 88 at the Belfry!

Ok, it was on TopTracer, but it was the best range session I've ever had.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a tee time of 8:20 today for a seniors knockout match - but started tipping down as I arrived at the club a bit before eight. So a few of us sat around drinking coffee & eating bacon sandwiches. After consulting various apps, general concensus was it was going to be terrible all day. So at about nine, most folk set off for home. And just as they did, it stopped raining and the sun came out. So me & my oppo did an about-turn & set out for our match - which was grand. Was a bit wet underfoot, but sun was shining, birds were singing and it was nice and warm. What's not to like? Started raining again about an hour after we finished. Oh, and I won.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After closing for rain yesterday for the first time in about 5 years - according to some - and reopening at 9.30 as Carry only.....
Fully open today and the ground was as firm as it always is....remarkable really.....
The golf was OK.....a couple of blobs, a couple of birdies..that sort of thing
35 points so not bad....no change to the Index.

Nit bad I say.....2 months ago it would have given me a cut..now it's just OK :ROFLMAO:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a Stableford comp today. Three over with just 3 bogeys on the card for 37 points. Hit 11 greens and didn’t make a single birdie. Greens were a bit soft and lumpy due to the amount of rain recently so I’m blaming that on the 33 putts I took today. Came 4th out of the 63 entries.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course was carry only today, so I put just five clubs in a lightweight carry bag and played 9 holes with a friend. 20 points. That happened last time I did that too. So why do I have a trolley bag with 14 clubs?! I did not take a driver and I was hitting my 5 wood almost as far as my driver off the tee, but with no risk of finding the crap and requiring three off the tee. That’s a lesson learned.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course was carry only today, so I put just five clubs in a lightweight carry bag and played 9 holes with a friend. 20 points. That happened last time I did that too. So why do I have a trolley bag with 14 clubs?! I did not take a driver and I was hitting my 5 wood almost as far as my driver off the tee, but with no risk of finding the crap and requiring three off the tee. That’s a lesson learned.

It's a lesson ............................ but time will tell whether it actually has been learned! ;)
Been down that road on many an occasion! :cry: