I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Fortunate enough to play Swinley Forest today, first out at 07:50 and had the course to myself....and what a course it is! Loved every second of it, a little bit annoyed it isn't rated/on EG so just used my base WHS Index of 23.6, woeful front 9, good back 9 and shot 96. Had lunch and got chatting to some of the staff......they very kindly let me go out again! Same story in second 18. Honestly ran out of puff at 16-18 after carrying for 2 rounds in the heat at and shot 98. Score-wise, happy with that for a course I've never played before.....and it felt like quite a tough course? Wonder what the ratings would be

The club and setup though, amazing. Every single hole just works, not a bad one to be seen. Highlight for me is probably the par 3 17th and then the 18th coming home and up the hill towards the clubhouse. What an experience!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a senior's match today, we were two up after 8 and I'd been keeping my own score as I was going well, I hit a lovely second on the 9th and had about a 15 footer for birdie and the hole, which would have given me a level par front nine, something I've not done before at this course. Got a bit too enthusiastic and knocked it four feet by and then missed the return so we lost the hole, embarrassing!
Luckily we still went on to win.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Four of us had a day out & played at one of our reciprocal courses. Messed up the 1st and the last, but played some impressive (for me) golf between. Generally drove the ball very well off the tee - having the ball in play for the second shot rather makes a difference. Hope I can keep the form for the weekend - if so I'll have a decent chance in my semi-final in the Club Challenge

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Casual round yesterday - what a stupid game this is...
Typified by the 14th, a 400 yard par 4..
Decent drive leaving a 6 iron in
Pulled said 6 iron some 30 yards left with the ball ending up by a tree..so close i had to either drop (not palatable) or play left handed.
Made a good lefty contact and the ball finished in a deep greenside divot...I thought I saw oil bubbling:oops:
Hacked out and left myself a 60 or 70 foot putt for a nett par...
Nailed it....
Why can't it just be simple and straightforward :rolleyes:

Teebs

Visit site
Took the 5 year old to the 6 hole par 3 course at Rudding Park. His first time on a course and he did OK. Amazingly he managed to par the 3rd hole.
Course played a lot shorter than advertised and was a bit scruffy, not great value @ £9.50 each for 6 holes...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a county comp today, played well bare a couple of grren misreads a missing a short putt, beat my handicap and came in 4th, sadlt beaten by 3 high handicaps. good news is a small cut and down t oa new low of 7.8. i am now the lowest of the ladies section, so extremely happy.

AliMc

Visit site
Given that I generally score higher off the white tees than the yellows I played a medal yesterday to see if I could start a bit of an upward trend to my hi, hit it really well except for 2 very poor holes, shot 80 adjusted 79 net 75 and came down 0.1 to 4.7, that wasn't supposed to happen !

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only managed 12 holes today..
It was misty, bordering on foggy, when we began..we had to wait 10 or 15 minutes for it to clear before we went.
The kist lifted and after 3 or 4 holes it was like a normal day
Got to the turn and it rolled back in again
We played the first 3 but it was getting thicker
Standing on the next tee we couldn't see more than 70 or 80 yards.
The group behind were a couple of holes away so we waited 10 minutes and it didn't improve so we decided it was getting silly and we came in.
Finished off the cards, marked the holes we didn't play as Foggy, put them in and had brekky.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just went and got 7 holes in. Don't know why I bother to play in the evenings other than just to get out and do something active - after sitting behind a desk all day, jumping in the car and straight on the tee, I always hit it crap, to the surprise of nobody. Usual cocktail of fats and thins. Managed to scrape 13 points so only one dropped, a double bogey on the 5th after a wayward drive, having to chip out to the fairway and fatting the pitch short. Meh, it was an hour out in the fresh air. :LOL:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday at my place … first game for five weeks due to holidays and family commitments. Tried out my driver with a shorter shaft (1.5 inches off) … no loss of distance, but every drive on the fairway! Great success, so will be keeping that. Also tried out my new putter which I got after a recent fitting … unmitigated disaster! Three putted pretty much every hole …didn’t feel comfortable with it once out on the course. Can’t see me keeping it … I’m never going to be a great putter, but that was extremely poor even by my standards. So no lost shots due to poor drives more than wiped out by too many putts. 32 points.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great afternoon up at West End GC in Halifax, its a loooong time since I've played there - probably close to 30 years. Me and the youth were invited up by a couple who are members there who we've got to know through social media while we've been out in Spain - so it was good to finally meet up with them in person.

Will definitely have to make a return sooner rather than later.

Apart from a few decent drives I was struggling off the tee, but the youth was as reliable as ever.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A long stunning drive from Loch Lomond to Machrihanish Old course this morning. A beautiful afternoon on a fantastic course. What a track, played off the whites, undone on the first few holes as the greens were surprisingly slow, out in +9. Started the back much better and was one under gross for the first 4 holes before dropping a couple to balls lost in the fescue. Finished +6 on the back. Really enjoyed this course.

evemccc

Visit site
A long stunning drive from Loch Lomond to Machrihanish Old course this morning. A beautiful afternoon on a fantastic course. What a track, played off the whites, undone on the first few holes as the greens were surprisingly slow, out in +9. Started the back much better and was one under gross for the first 4 holes before dropping a couple to balls lost in the fescue. Finished +6 on the back. Really enjoyed this course.

I’d love to play Machrihanish!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a par 3 set up at our course yesterday evening, playing from usual tees but in different order and to different greens, most holes were around the 80 to 100 yard range until the last two which were 156 and 179 yards and quite a few of them were blind over tress and hedges!

I was playing 1957 release year George Nicoll, Henry Cotton irons and a Bronty Silver Knight putter.

Played pretty steady apart from two lost balls which cost me 4 shots and I picked up my ball on the 16th green without marking which cost me another shot! No idea what was going through my head and I've never done that before.
Scored 62 nett 51.
Three birdies including one on the 17th hole which was another blind shot.

1661586925149.png

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yesterday was the regional finals of Lancashire ladies handicap shield competition, Ellesmere have 2 team in the competition and both topped there groups and played in the regional final. 3 of the 4 teams playing qualified last year too.
the team i play for played the team that beat us last year too, my game was tough, I won the ifrst hole but then lost 3 on the top and fluctuated between 2 down and all square all round, saving par from a bunker on the 18th got me back to level and I then won the first hole again to win match. Sadly the others weren't as successful and our team lost.
Happily our other team won and in another repeat of last year played the team that beat my lot, unlike last year our other team won the final and will now play in the county final at St Annes Old Links.
I caddied in the afternoon and will do the same in the finals, at least as Lady Captain I can vicarious share in the victory.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Frustrating round, a nearly round. Currently seething, I may be laying in bed tonight running through the round still. Strokeplay comp, all going well, drove really well, good long second shots, rare for me. Had 3 doubles on the last 4 holes to leave me with a net 71, par is 70. No reason for them other than tiredness kicking in, lack of concentration.

Lovely company, perfect playing conditions.