I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Celtic Manor Roman Road today in a Seniors Match... some how I was low handicapper and was giving opponents 9 and 8 shots respectively, my partner had two. I had 38 points on my own and we still lost on17th. Newport won the match 5 to 3 though, only the 2nd time Celtic have lost at home in over 20 years.

Greens were excellent, course was good too...good time of year to play it. Long old walk though, but less arduous than the Monty! If they allowed buggies on the fairway (I understand why they don't) it would be much more fun. We walked with Powakaddies, but the old feet were feeling it towards the end!

Next, Burnham Beeches on Wednesday! :)

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Steady knock round Willow Valley yesterday with the youth and a good mate of mine. Can't seem to get any handicap cards in so at the moment we're stuck playing late afternoon golf while all the morning times are reserved for the comps.

Highlight of the day was Jamie making a par up the 575 yard 10th, after declaring in the morning "there's no point in me even playing that hole", followed it up with another par on the 11th as well.

Playing Halifax West End on Friday, which I haven't played for a very, very long time.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not quite understanding that. Can you not put in some casual round scores?

I can't get anybody to sign them off, we've had a run of big comps over the last few weeks and everybody is committed to playing in them - and I struggle to get a midweek round in. It's not helped by me trying to get me and the youths cards done at the same time. Thinking I need another strategy, whereby I concentrate on getting mine done, and then sign off the boys 3 cards, or I might just pay for the iGolf subscription and get a handicap playing with members at other courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't get anybody to sign them off, we've had a run of big comps over the last few weeks and everybody is committed to playing in them - and I struggle to get a midweek round in. It's not helped by me trying to get me and the youths cards done at the same time. Thinking I need another strategy, whereby I concentrate on getting mine done, and then sign off the boys 3 cards, or I might just pay for the iGolf subscription and get a handicap playing with members at other courses.
Can you not put in a card via the EG app if you don't have a handicap? I don't know but I'd have thought should be able to in order to build up your database of scores. As I say though, I don't know.

The members at other courses that you plag with could approve your score via the app

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can you not put in a card via the EG app if you don't have a handicap? I don't know but I'd have thought should be able to in order to build up your database of scores. As I say though, I don't know.

The members at other courses that you plag with could approve your score via the app

I'm not sure tbh, I was hoping we'd get the cards marked no problems but it just hasn't worked out that way. Was certainly a lot easier when I joined the same club about 6 or 7 years ago. My understanding is that if I pay the £40 for the iGolf app, then I can get 3 cards marked anywhere I play, and then submit through them through the England Golf App, but that's just based on what I've been told by a mate I'm working for at the moment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure tbh, I was hoping we'd get the cards marked no problems but it just hasn't worked out that way. Was certainly a lot easier when I joined the same club about 6 or 7 years ago. My understanding is that if I pay the £40 for the iGolf app, then I can get 3 cards marked anywhere I play, and then submit through them through the England Golf App, but that's just based on what I've been told by a mate I'm working for at the moment.
Why not just try entering through the england golf app, home or away, and see what happens. I'd have thought the system should mean it doesn't matter where you put cards in as long as you do.

Try posting the question in the ask an expert section. There are a few handicap secs on here rhat can help.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Should’ve played 18 but the 5 ball (visitors) in front were ? so the first 9 took over 2 hours so missed my 2nd tee time by so way.
Said 5 ball kicked off on the 9th as I hit the green with a 5 iron - it was playing 235 yards and they wanted a fight in the car park.
To make things worse one of the 5 had a “man” bun ???

Guess you wasn’t expecting to hit the green ;)

Power to the man bun!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played North Hants yesterday. Tees and greens have been being watered and lovely though the greens were slow, but, by the sounds of it, the club made a deliberate decision to limit the fairway watering (or do very little if any) over the very dry period and as a result they are very patchy and inconsistent - some parts very dried out, bare and hard - other parts much greener and soft. Made for frustrating approach shots and tbh overall the course was not looking it's best. Nonetheless an enjoyable knock.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i actually pulled the tee shot and it only trickled onto the green as it fed down off the hill to the right of the green.

Mr Man Bun was probably the sort who uses pink castle tees

I hope you played the members card and addressed his white socks / castle tee combo as “ unacceptable at this establishment “

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i actually pulled the tee shot and it only trickled onto the green as it fed down off the hill to the right of the green.

Mr Man Bun was probably the sort who uses pink castle tees
I don't trust anyone who doesn't use pink castle tees. What are you just going to guess the tee height or tee it up different heights every time like some sort of psychopath??