I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Greens are still shocking though. Now they are really slow and bobbly instead of rock hard, fast and bobbly. We played last night and had at least 10 putts between the 4 of us that took flight and hopped at least 4 inches in the air. Some of them took numerous attempts at flight before getting to the hole.

@rudebhoy The only putt I've holed over 4 feet in the last 2 rounds was a 7 footer last night. Nothing is dropping at the moment, you aren't the only one struggling on these greens.

One thing that annoyed me today was the pin placement. On some holes, they appear to have been slap bang where the condition of the green is the worst. the 12th today was a prime example. The back right section of the green is appalling, a mixture of mossy and bare patches. the rest of the green isn't too bad, the front left section in particular looked good. So where do they stick the pin? You've guessed it.

But as bad as the greens currently are, I can't blame them for what was a total lack of any judgement or feel for pace. I was laughably bad. the most annoying thing was the rest of my game was great, at least for holes 1 - 14.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the Golf Pairs comp at Caldy today. Greens were very good and lots of run on the fairway, if you could find it. Rough was very yellow and wispy and pretty easy to find your ball, unlike a few weeks ago. One of the holes for nearest the pin had a Mike Harris as closest when we went through, was it GM's Mike Harris?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
we had a stableford today, and unusually for me it was first round since last Friday, although i did have a lesson on Tuesday to straighten up my driving.
I played well, let down by a couple of early 3 putts and a blob on the last when I went too long and finished OOB.

I finished with 36 points despite the messy finish and it got me thinking about the number of times I have messed up the last when having a good round, I had a look and out of the 8 rounds where i have been level or better after 17 holes this year, in 6 of them i had a double bogey or worse on the 18th

The 18th is a short par 3, only 122 yds from the red tees, there is a steep bank in front of the green which drops to a penalty area, there are 2 large trees on either side each with a bunker behind and the OOB is about 5 yards behind the green which is a saddle shape front to back. Normally I take a 6 hybrid but because it is so hard at the moment I had been dropping sometimes to an iron but if I dont hit the iron cleanly it can leak to the side and end up down in the water at the bottom of the bank. I isnt the easiest of holes but 6 DBS when playing well is shocking, Today after going OO/b I hit my 2nd ball to the middle of the green (sods law)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Cut the cost per round I've paid at my home club since renewing in March to £280 today after my second round (on the Ashludie) there since moving house.

My first round of any sort in a couple of months as well - went better than I thought it would, helped by a long, long, holed putt for a birdie on the sixth, quite keen to get out again in the next week or so. Greens were immaculate, fairways not as brown as St Andrews looked last week at the Open.

Interesting to see the wee tented village around the 18th on the Medal and putting green still set up after last week's R&A Junior Open Championship where a lad from Blairgowrie won beating a young guy who played in the first LIV event at Centurion.

IMG_8073.jpg
15th Ashludie, Monifieth with lovely blonde rough

IMG_8075.jpg
R&A signage and infrastructure for the R&A Junior Open

Went to St Andrews afterwards for a meal at Balgove Larder's Steak Barn (excellent, highly recommended if you are visiting the area) followed by showing my missus where she is going for an interview next week to get on the waiting list for one of the ladies clubs at the Home of Golf and then a tour around the roads around the course so she could have a look at the stands etc which are still up after The Open.

All in all a fine afternoon and evening.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a half decent knock yesterday in our Thursday Rollup. Couple of nonsense holes where I blobbed but 36 pts was OK and gave me a sneaky 9th in field of 43. Just as well I don't play this rollup looking to win - since, as is almost inevitable, the winner was a 20 handicapper scoring 44 pts. It would be a great day were I able to get anywhere near that off 9. I live, practice and play in hope, but meanwhile I do not hold my breath.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quarter final of our Seniors' summer matchplay knockouts. Was up against a chap I'd already put out of the Club Championship knockout earlier this year. Got off to a flyer - par, par, par, bogey, birdie to be 3 up after five. Normal form then returned but I managed to stayed ahead. Turning point was a remarkable half on the 11th - in the bundu, directly behind a tree. Chipped 15yds sideways, then chipped 15yds to 5 ft and sank the putt. End up winning 5&4 - the same margin as I beat him last time. Just one match away from a final now :).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Away day at The Springs with CVG..Nice set up
There's a decent amount of money spent on the place
The course is flat and fairly straightforward as long as you keep the ball,in play.
The fairways were brown and like concrete. On a par 5 I had 210 yards to the green for my 2nd shot, took a 6 iron, carried it about 165 and it rolled the rest..
But you could also run out of room very quickly and end up in jungle or 40 yards from where your ball should have been.
For me it was either a boom or bust kind of day..
For only the 2nd time I had 6 birdies....but I had mostly bogeys on the rest, only 2 or 3 pars..
The greens were pretty slow but rolled well enough.
35 points (CR 3 under par) wasn't that good but with the number of bogeys I cant grumble
Grandad CVG rolled in with 41 points but then he doesnt hit it far enough to get bad bounces...;)
Had a guy join us for the round..Great company and we're getting him over to Ellesborough soon.
All in all a decent day out for 34 quid each.....

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a half decent knock yesterday in our Thursday Rollup. Couple of nonsense holes where I blobbed but 36 pts was OK and gave me a sneaky 9th in field of 43. Just as well I don't play this rollup looking to win - since, as is almost inevitable, the winner was a 20 handicapper scoring 44 pts. It would be a great day were I able to get anywhere near that off 9. I live, practice and play in hope, but meanwhile I do not hold my breath.

How many points did you have at Camberley last year? ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last 16 club singles matchplay this afternoon. Played poorly, but the OP did too and I won 2&1 (I could argue that the match should have ended earlier as set out in the rules section, but I used the incident to fire me up positively).

Into the quarter finals of both the main matchplay and also the seniors. I have found the format stressful in the past, but have got through by playing sensibly and taking the odd calculated risk when needed. Just hope that I can keep it going.

4LEX

Visit site
Away day at The Springs with CVG..Nice set up
There's a decent amount of money spent on the place
The course is flat and fairly straightforward as long as you keep the ball,in play.
The fairways were brown and like concrete. On a par 5 I had 210 yards to the green for my 2nd shot, took a 6 iron, carried it about 165 and it rolled the rest..
But you could also run out of room very quickly and end up in jungle or 40 yards from where your ball should have been.
For me it was either a boom or bust kind of day..
For only the 2nd time I had 6 birdies....but I had mostly bogeys on the rest, only 2 or 3 pars..
The greens were pretty slow but rolled well enough.
35 points (CR 3 under par) wasn't that good but with the number of bogeys I cant grumble
Grandad CVG rolled in with 41 points but then he doesnt hit it far enough to get bad bounces...;)
Had a guy join us for the round..Great company and we're getting him over to Ellesborough soon.
All in all a decent day out for 34 quid each.....

Springs is much improved from a few years ago, money well spent on the clubhouse, car park and landscaping.

Play there a few times a year and in the summer you can get onto all par 5's with a mid iron or wedge. A few tricky par 4's but a real fun course. What's Ellesborough like? Only seen it driving past.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Springs is much improved from a few years ago, money well spent on the clubhouse, car park and landscaping.

Play there a few times a year and in the summer you can get onto all par 5's with a mid iron or wedge. A few tricky par 4's but a real fun course. What's Ellesborough like? Only seen it driving past.
Slopey...fast, firm greens, get on the wrong side and you're toast. Not long but pitching into upslopes increases the playing length
Like most courses, keep it in play and you'll score...it's just the keeping it in play bit....:ROFLMAO:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Didn't play but went to the range and had a go at Toptracer 30, the new game on Toptracer.

It was going so well until I hoicked a drive left into the water....:ROFLMAO:

That shot alone added 3 to my running HI on the game....

Quite enjoyed it, a nice change to the par 3's I normally play at that range.

Saw that Matt Fryer had done it on his YT channel, at least I beat him.
I tried this once before on a very windy day and bailed mid game as hcp was already double reality!
But tried again this week in nice conditions and had a run that you can on the range where things click. Was 1.5 at mid-point, the +1.5 three shots later. Then like you hooked one in the water, found a couple of bunkers on approaches and went up to 4.9. Still about half of reality so pretty pleased.
Maybe we need an "I practiced today" thread ??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played a vets Stableford yesterday, got a great par at the 1st then (the curse of the first par) cocked up the next 5 holes. I was trying a different feel with the driver but decided to just try and play normally on the back 9. I finished with 36 points and a .5 handicap index cut ?