I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Last 16 match Summer singles KO. Beautiful evening with course in fantastic condition, and what a match. In over 35yrs of singles matches maybe the best I’ve ever played in. If I may be indulged. Giving my opponent two shots.
  • 3 up after 4, inc half against a shot on 2, and holing putt from off green for birdie on 3rd
  • Opponent holes for birdie from off green on 6th, I lose hole.
  • Pulled back to 1up at turn
  • Holed monster swinging putt on 10 and opponent misses 3ftr to go back to 2up
  • Win on 11 against a shot.
  • Back to 3 up after 12
  • Shanked tee shot on 13, ball lost, hole lost
  • Opponent holes 75yd pitch out of deep rough for eagle on 14
  • I walk off 17th green 1 down
  • My 10ft birdie putt on 18 hits back of hole and stays out
  • Opponent horseshoes out 2ft putt on 18 he had to win match, I hole out and back to all square
  • Up 19th. My 3rd is a lovely 80yd lob wedge but it just rolls past hole and off back of green down 3ft bank. Opponent puts his 4th to 10ft. I hit v delicate chip - my 4th - to 18”. Opponent putts and misses. I give him it. I tap in to win.
What a match - absolutely bonkers stuff. My opponent reckons his best ever match - it had everything that makes handicap matchplay golf brilliant, and he joked if on Youtube it would have had millions of views ?

Still buzzing. Onwards and upwards to the Quarter finals. After this evening, and if Lady Luck continues to smile on me, I feel I can win this thing. Tough opponents ahead though.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played yesterday at Las Colinas, first time we've ever managed to get there. Rated in the top 100 courses in Europe, I knew it would be good, but mine and the lads overriding feeling after we'd finished was, it doesn't stand up to the greenfees they charge, and Las Ramblas (which we played last week) was more enjoyable for a much more realistic price.
Jamie is struggling with a damaged wrist and as the round wore on, the more he struggled.
35 points for me, with 15 of those coming on the back nine, it felt like the wheels had fallen off a little.
Won the team event though and the youth got a 2 so he ended the day with 41 euros in prize money.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7mutijPac8I?&ab_channel=LadGolf

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night in the midweek stableford and at last it was a beautiful night for golf. Hardly any wind, nice temperature and blue skies. Shot 87 which included 6 doubles on the front 9 with 3 pars. Clearly it wasn't the weather affecting my game. :ROFLMAO: Not a single facet of my game was working. Driving all over the place, approaches terrible, chipping terrible and putting awful. After missing my 3rd putt from within 3 feet on 6 the red mist descended and I launched my putter towards the 7th tee. Unfortunately there is a bunch of trees at the tee and my putter got stuck 20 foot up. I was absolutely mortified. One of my playing partners climbed up and then used my driver to knock it down as I was going to just leave it there as I was that embarrassed by my actions. :oops: First club throw since I was about 14. Got him a pint afterwards for it.

After that I just tried to figure out what was going wrong. Came back in 5 over on the back 9 which included another missed putt from about 8 inches that I just tried to knock in as I walked past it but at least I felt I had sorted some things out. Just need to accept that I'm playing crap golf at the moment and sooner or later I'll shoot a couple of decent rounds.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Back spasms at the end of Monday's round put me in my chair for a couple of days, no work, no golf....no nuffink.!
It was the midweek medal today and I was down to play with a couple of mates.
I went along to walk the front 9 with them, took a putter and a ball just to test things out as I was feeling a lot better but not good enough to play.
Got to the 9th and decided I could try a gentle drive
Borrowed CVG's SiM2 12° with a Senior shaft in it and outdrove the other 2 by some distance:LOL:
As I had enough time and felt OK I walked 10 and 11 as well.
Played 10, a downhill par 3 that plays anything between a gap wedge and a 5 iron depending on the wind..
The other 2 stuffed their tee shots in the front bunker, I borrowed a G425 8 iron and smoothly put it on the gree about 15 feet from the hole..simple 2 putt while the others took 5s;)
Swinging a club felt OK so I'm going out early tomorrow on my own, probably just for a gentle 9 before the heat gets up.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in fiddle, 9 lads, 3 x 3 balls, best two from 3 all to score on par 5’s. Front nine was ok but two blobs and a steady 14 Points. Another blob on the 10 th then I was on fire. 19 points in 8 holes. I got my drives away and 4 x 3 pointers in 5 holes.it was sublime, yet so easy. How’s that work out. On our par three 17th. Non of us hit the green but my 2 PPs both holed for 2’s from off the green.
Bottom line we won back nine and overall. £7.50 winnings so over the last 2 rounds am about £5 up and dropped two shots.?
Highlight of the day.
A guy turned up whos missis has Cancer, she is terminal and has anywhere between 18 months to 5 years. A PP told me A Guys life is not good at the moment. She is taking everything out on him. He played 18 holes won a nearest the pin and we ripped one another to bits for 45 mins after the round had done. We had a right old laugh and he loved it. He was asked how is Missis Is, he said “she has Chemo tomorrow so that’s another two weeks of hell I will be getting”. He understands why she is the way she is. But for 6 hours he recharged his batteries.

RichA

Visit site
A quick 18 with a couple of pals after work this afternoon. I've had a dismal few months going from 14.9 in December to hitting my 19.9 cap and struggling to break 100 very often lately.
Went out this afternoon with driver, no irons longer than a 7 and a plan to play nothing longer than my 9-iron off the grass. I only used the driver half a dozen times and stuck rigidly to the plan.
My best round since last August. 85 strokes. I was aiming for bogey golf and went 4 better. Silly game.

AliMc

Visit site
Lovely evening at Dunbar, 4bbb gents pairs tie won 3&2 to progress into the quarter finals, I played well round in about one over or about 41 points for those that prefer that !

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just had a cracking match in the Singles Knockout and like Swingsitlikehogan’s great write up above please bear with the long write up.

Unusually for me I was giving 3 shots (my 23 against 26), although I was aware that the OP had been playing off 15 a few years ago, but now suffers with back problems.

After 5 we were all square. I continued to play good consistent golf, whilst he struggled with a number of shots going wayward and I won holes 6 through to 10, leaving me 5up.

On 11 I was giving a shot, and I hit a good straight drive whilst he went way right into some trees. Looking good now I foolishly thought. With a good recovery he matches my 5 to win the hole. On 12 & 13 he pars both and wins against my bogies - now 2 up.

I par 14 and win to go back to 3up. Short par 3 15th, I caught the shot off of the toe, but a lucky bounce leaves me 10 yards short of the green over a bunker. He pulls his tee shot OOB - just need this hole to win the match. He second ball is a good shot to the back of the green. I under hit my wedge into the bunker and take two shots to get out. Lose the hole, my 6 to his 5.

16 is SI 1 so giving a shot. It’s a long par 4, but he’s just 10 yards from the hole in 2 and I lose the hole (both scored 5). Now just 1up.

17 he tops his driver just 40 yards, whilst I hit mine 230 yards down the fairway. He then hits two great irons to be just 10ft from the hole. My 2nd finds the green side bunker and take two to get out. My 15ft putt for 5 is bang on line but 3 inches short. Now all square.

18 his drive bounces over the stream at 170 yards and ends up middle of the fairway. I hit a great straight drive. Both have 110 yards in for our 3rd shots. He goes in a green side bunker. I am on the green, but 25ft away. He has a good bunker shot leaving a 12ft putt, whilst my putt grazes the hole, but ends up 4ft past. His putt is firm, but dead straight and drops and I hole my four footer to halve the hole in par 5s.

Looking at my card work out that I scored 19pts on the back nine and went from 4up to all square. Apart from two poor bunker shots I hadn’t done much wrong

Back to the first and fortunately for me he plays his first poor hole for some time and concedes having taken 7 with me 10ft away in 3.

Pleased that I managed to keep my good play going even as the lead slipped away.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following a lovely day out yesterday to my mum's old course of Nelson, I was back at Ellesmere for a medal, I played steadily without really hitting any heights but my putting was decent even though I only holed one putt longer than a few feet and despite a double bogey on the last I played bang on handicap with a gross 82 nett 72 and won the comp. My first thursday win for a couple of years. My 8.7 replaced another of the same score that was dropping out of my last 20 scores so no handicap change

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
County Seniors Scratch Knockout yesterday.
I'll start with the excuses, as that is a very bad way to start.
Drawn away. Chap is much younger than me. Chap is lower handicap than me.

First six holes I have two bad holes and he makes two birdie 3s and I am 4 down.
Next five holes I fail to make a par on a par 3 and he makes another birdie 3 and I am 6 down with 7 to play.

I win two of the next 3 holes with pars to be dormie 4 down. I birdie the par 5 15th to be dormie 3 down and the match finishes on the 16th green.
We play the remaining two holes as it would be a long boring walk in. I par them both and he finds trees on both and makes bogeys.
He played great golf for 11 holes and I played good golf for the next 5 holes so he won.

I've come away knowing that I can play good golf under pressure and not let negative thoughts impede my play.
And I was very sporting throughout the game.
I wished him well in the next round.
I very much enjoyed the game.

I'm intending to do sod all today as it is so hot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Went out dead early...only planning 9 holes due to the back issues I've had.
A bit of an eye opener...didn't make a full swing all the way round.
I may never hit the ball hard ever again after today...
Half and 3/4 swings, concentrating on making good contact with the ball saw me lose only a few yards on "normal" shots..
Steady front 9 of 5 over..can't be unhappy with that!
On to the back 9 and I made 2 bogeys and a birdie..the rest pars..
77 shots 38 points and the back is in one piece....
2 hrs 45 minutes home to club to home......
Love it!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Played 18 in glorious sunshine but a stiff breeze. Course set up is now tough, with firm, fast fairways, a narrow first cut and absolutely brutal second cut after the rain a week or so ago.

Very much a game of two halves. Slapped it a bit front nine, missed a few fairways with driver, and my scoring suffered as a result. Back nine I made a conscious decision to leave the big stick in the bag and went 3-wood on the par 4’s and 5’s. Didn’t miss a fairway and played the last nine a couple over, with a couple of nice birdies on the way.

The driver is currently in the boot of the car, where it will be staying tomorrow.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Pit golf day which I arranged. 47 lads playing golf, having a catch up and talking rammel. God it was hot. Went round in 35 points with 3 blobs. Played alternate White , yellow, red tees. It was fantastic. How strange it was playing off red tees thinking you can smash your drive and obviously not.
suffice to say the team comp was won with 94 points, 3 teams came second with 93 points.
just had 20 mins in a cold shower getting me core temp down #boilingmeheadoff

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pit golf day which I arranged. 47 lads playing golf, having a catch up and talking rammel. God it was hot. Went round in 35 points with 3 blobs. Played alternate White , yellow, red tees. It was fantastic. How strange it was playing off red tees thinking you can smash your drive and obviously not.
suffice to say the team comp was won with 94 points, 3 teams came second with 93 points.
just had 20 mins in a cold shower getting me core temp down #boilingmeheadoff
Why did you do that?? New one! :LOL:

Tashyboy

Visit site
Why did you do that?? New one! :LOL:

its a pit day for lads of all handicaps. The individual comp was won with 42, runner up 41, not bad from 47 lads. But some of the holes were totally different. Same with the prizes. I don’t like longest drive as out of 47 lads, only six really thought they had a chance. Ironically it was won by a lad who no one thought had a chance.but three others were 30-40 yards past but not on the fairway.
Oddly enough I had never heard of it and it was suggested to me by lads who had played it and enjoyed it. Seems to work well.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played Ormskirk today on a stag do, got put in a three ball with two pretty serious players (including the FiL) so decided to put a card in.

Apart from a nightmare holes 6-9 where I dropped 8 shots I played really well! Drove well and was deadly with the putter.

Really impressed with the course as well and will definitely be back.

Should be a 0.5 cut if my calcs are correct.

Harley-D

Visit site
Played the Springs today and was dissapointed. Trying to market itself as a "resort" course but having spent millions on off course facilities the course itself is lacking a) any signs telling you where the next t is, b) about 16 holes had no 150 markers, c) the rough, ie any part not considered fairway is not being managed at all. Wont be rushing back.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First day of the Club Champs today! Front nine was mediocre, punctuated with a triple bogey on the par 3 third after knifing it out of bounds from a bunker. Mediocre became a pipe dream on the 12th though. Sliced my approach miles right which put me in a ditch that has trees on the green-side of it. Took a drop far enough back to chip over, I thought - caught the tree and back into the same ditch. Took a drop and tried to punch through a gap - hit a tree and back into the ditch. Head fully gone now. This time I tried to go over but managed to go through by accident. Wrote down a 12 and the round and the competition was gone, along with my head. Couldn't play after that really. On the 15th I hooked a tee shot into the long long grass, couldn't find it and just NRed. Put me out of my misery. I actually parred the 18th in the end which was nice I suppose.

What a waste of a day. The company was decent though.