I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just rubbish today. Just me and my 13 capper mate. Giving it the biggun, I offer him a match with no shots (while he's 2 lower, I've been playing better than him for 6 months or so). I proceed to play absolutely shocking. Already 3 down after 4 holes. Make an arse of the 7th and go 4 down. Finally won a hole on the 9th which was hilarious to be fair - his drive found the ditch, he took his drop, hit his next shot straight into a tree and back into the same ditch. ? So three down at half way.

Back nine was marginally less awful for the most part. I won the 12th to bring it back to 2 down, but promptly lost the 13th with a three putt, completely misreading the first one. On the 14th he sinks a 15 footer for birdie, and I promptly do the same from a few feet nearer. 15th was halved so it's 3 down with 3 to play. On the 16th I clipped one pure out of a bunker to go sailing over the green, but chipped it back to 10 inches to win that one. 17th I hit a cracking wedge to 8 feet to win that one as well - 1 down with 1 to play...

Then 18th is a flipping car crash. Tug drive left and clip the tree. Try to pitch out but it's sitting on a twig so that failed. Have to go for the green over the trees now, but whiffed it and still left it short. Try and punch it up now and sail over the green. Meanwhile he's put his second shot to 3 feet so it's game over.

Felt so bad about how I played that I wanted to go straight out and play again. Ultimately couldn't be bothered though. And my shoulder was hurting as I seem to have trapped a nerve. Shot 90 in the end, worst round in months. My mate shot 88 so he didn't even have to play that well to beat me. Abysmal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Normal roll up. Back was stiff after carrying for 18 yesterday. Hit a lot of balls beforehand to try and get it loose. Must have worked as I scored 38 off the whites to go with my 39 yesterday. Didn't score on the 12th with my only bad drive which got stuck halfway up a bush and I had to take an unplayable and then chopped my way down the hole. Pitching good again and putted well. Missed out on the cash again by a point. Got a comp tomorrow and my summer knockout on Wednesday so hoping the good form carries on

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Major 4BBB comp yesterday - Foundation Day.
Partnering the Fragster and expecting big things after last week....
He didn't p,ay his best but contributed throughout...
Leader in the clubhouse was 44 points when we started 3rd last group out so it was a bit of a target..
On course after 9 with 22 points...personally 1 over gross and playing well.
Back 9 started well until we got to the 13th, just a nett bogey..scoring picked up after that and a par, par finish would have put us in the frame
Fragger was tiring, poor old sod, but we had been out there a long time (4 hrs 20 in the end) and he didn't play them well..
I got a bad kick on my drive, next to a tree with no swing and we both ended up with nowt - game over.
A bogey up the last to finish on 39 - respectable
What was so frustrating was the lack of luck on the greens...I had 8 or 9 putts from distance that were inches from dropping - I cant remember having so many 2 inch par putts..
Just a little luck and who knows.. but that's golf.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Bit of a round up. I'd been selected to play for the club last weekend, but was working away the week before, following a struggling medal round, so just didn't feel confident and reluctantly pulled out for the good of the team. Team won 7 - 0 at home ? I went for a practice while match was playing, and played in the stableford the following day, 34 points and confidence building back. Yesterday was an away fixture and on Friday there was a drop out, so I was drafted back into the team. Bit nervous but managed the best result of the day with a 6&5 win ? Funny ol' game. Fixture ended tied, which is decent when away.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
First handicap qualifying comp yesterday - only highlight was a two at the 6th - a few more quid credit in the pro-shop.
Differential of 8.7 achieved (PCC +1) - well outside the top 8. Handicap did not go up, thanks to the dropping off score being outside the top 8.
Next 4 scores to drop off are all in the top 8. Bit of a good run I had June/July last year. I fear an increase to h'cap coming this way soon.

Oh, email says I came 62nd out of 126. (Stableford comp, but posting my stableford points is irrelevant - that is not my GOLF SCORE)
In the top half!
Maybe not as completely :poop:, as I first thought.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
First 18 holes for 8 weeks since surgery and last weeks Covid.

It was a Stableford comp and off the whites for the first time this year. I would have been quite content to score 20 points so long as I got round the course.

For some reason my driver decided to be more than kind and I finished with 34 points even though i wilted a bit on the last three holes and went in hard pan bunkers on the last two holes - i really didn't fancy bunker shots at this stage of my return and only scored 3 points on the final 3 holes. I also hit my 3 driving iron on the 198 yard 18th (played as the 9th) and was still nearest the pin when I left for home. All in all very happy and tired ?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Finally got the driver working again, absolute bombs down 1 and 4 at just over 300yds and 10/13 fairways in regulation.

It was the irons turn not to show up, I could blame it on uneven lies etc but the confidence just want there, 1 or 2 approaches were good the rest were meh!

Putting so so, I’m hitting them ok, just not reading the greens very well - I’m blaming this transitional period where they’re only about 80% recovered from greens maintenance.

Still, 10/13 FIR, 9 GIR and 32 putts for a 79 with a lost ball or 36 points

Boomy

Visit site
Today was the big day… Myself and a PP decided to keep interest going over the winter months by having a winter matchplay series ??‍♂️??‍♂️ Both similar handicaps so played off scratch, over 25 matches at Silloth ⛳️ What a fantastic series, both taking the lead at various points but after 24 matches we were all square, so today was the decider (with play off holes if all square after 18) The duel in the sun 2022 @ Silloth ? The course was playing fantastic with a moderate breeze and freshly rolled fast greens⛳️ A tough match, had to dig deep but won 3&1 ? Fantastic idea and kept it interesting over winter ??‍♂️??‍♂️
FF131CB1-7252-4B8E-B7E4-DF929CDB195D.jpeg

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First 18 holes for 8 weeks since surgery and last weeks Covid.

It was a Stableford comp and off the whites for the first time this year. I would have been quite content to score 20 points so long as I got round the course.

For some reason my driver decided to be more than kind and I finished with 34 points even though i wilted a bit on the last three holes and went in hard pan bunkers on the last two holes - i really didn't fancy bunker shots at this stage of my return and only scored 3 points on the final 3 holes. I also hit my 3 driving iron on the 198 yard 18th (played as the 9th) and was still nearest the pin when I left for home. All in all very happy and tired ?

Glad to hear you’re back out mate

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I havent been well this last week so not been on the course all week apart from a few holes on friday, but was playing today in a interclub knockout comp today away at Leigh.

Unusually for me i was getting shots, she was longer than me off the tee but not always as straight, on most holes there wasn't a lot in it until it came the the greens, she killed me, knocking in several 6-8 footers, I three putted couple of times , missed a two footer on one hole for a win and once again my poor putting cost me and I lost 3&2, sadly the team also lost.

At least the weather was nice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One that got away. Warmed up poorly - not hitting well and no tempo. Obligatory 4 at the 225 yard par 3 first, par, par, birdie par and flying. Poor bunker shot at 6 (no score) missed a tiddler at 7 for par and same at 8. Out in 19 and then the wheels came off big time. Virtually unplayable under the back lip of the bunker at 11 and a semi-shank down the edge of the green, and to compound matters, the same on SI1 - 12th that I chopped OOB for no points. Started chasing and we all know how that plays out. Annoyed as I had been in good form and was looking forward to today. Shows how golf will always bite you on the bum

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wexham Green course with the wife today. Played much better than yesterday. Three pars and six bogeys. Hit a couple of cracking fairway woods on two of the longer par 3s. Driving good as well. Shot 38 for 19 points.

Wife's game was the real story though. She played well from the off, good driving again, hybrid & irons better than last week (she actually went to the driving range with a friend yesterday which paid off), and holed two of her customary outrageous long putts! She ended up on 50 for 26 points. Definitely time to chop her handicap I think. Three shots a hole is clearly too many. ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, that was a successful week.
Wednesday had a seniors interclub match which we won 6&5 - nearly all down to me (who was the low player in the group)
Thursday was round 1 of the senior's summer matchplay knockout - won by 2 holes after trailing all the way to the 13th.
Saturday - Pro-shop stableford. Terrible start - 4 points after 6 holes - but ended up with 34 at the end . And took the money from our 3ball
Today. Round 1 of the Club Challenge (ie summer matchplay knockout). Won 3&2 - and by my standard, played brilliantly (42 point equivalent)

Currently playing better than I have for many a year. Just hope I can keep it going and get the handicap down to respectable levels.