I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After yesterday's 34 points and first qualifying competition following 8 weeks off , my 34 points got me a .3 handicap index reduction. Maybe good that the wheels came off on the last 3 holes and a blob on 14th ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Monthly stableford yesterday. Feeling very confident after my rounds on Friday and Saturday. Didn't hit it well warming up and made a 4 on the tough par three opening hole (225 off the whites). Everyone is happy with a four there and move on. I made a monstrous birdie across the slope on our 4th and got to the 6th tee level par gross. Hit it in a bunker, played poor recovery and so didn't score. Five (net four) on SI 2 7th and then three putted from nowhere. Still out in 19 points then a total collapse on the back nine and lost the tempo and timing. Back in 12 for a miserable 31 points. Has the good run ended before my knockout match? Don't think so and putting it down to one of those days and three games in three days

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Monthly stableford yesterday. Feeling very confident after my rounds on Friday and Saturday. Didn't hit it well warming up and made a 4 on the tough par three opening hole (225 off the whites). Everyone is happy with a four there and move on. I made a monstrous birdie across the slope on our 4th and got to the 6th tee level par gross. Hit it in a bunker, played poor recovery and so didn't score. Five (net four) on SI 2 7th and then three putted from nowhere. Still out in 19 points then a total collapse on the back nine and lost the tempo and timing. Back in 12 for a miserable 31 points. Has the good run ended before my knockout match? Don't think so and putting it down to one of those days and three games in three days

Is this the same round as post #10994, cos they sound identical!

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday with my usual 3 playing partners as we decided to give the 5 club comp a miss on Saturday. Unfortunately we had to start on temp greens due to frost so couldn't play in the sweep. The main greens came on after we had played 4 holes.

Played a doubles match between the 4 of us and it was a really good match, never more than 2 holes in it and I managed to hole a 3 footer on the last to finish all square.

I drove the ball well and chipped really well but irons where poor and putting was shocking again. I actually putted better last week on the temp greens than I did this week on the main greens. Missed 4 putts from within 4 feet before finally holing that one on 18. Think it's time for a lesson.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another really gusty wind today..from completely the opposite direction to yesterday..from that direction it makes the easier holes harder but doesn't make the hard holes easier....
31 points reasonably acceptable but beat CVG so it wasn't all bad.
Greens like lightening....

Visit site
I played on Saturday in the first board comp/medal of the "summer" and had a 77 (+7), nett 73 in the medal. Happy with that - tough day, greens were quick as lightning and wind was up. My matchplay opponent for the Sunday had 91 off 10.

Then I lost 5&4 in the matchplay, I was doing okay-ish but never got going. My opponent was +7 through the 14, I think I was +6.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
2nd round of summer singles k/o. Won 4-2. Greens were lightening fast as they had been cut, sanded and ironed. Some of the roll-outs - mostly way past the hole - were insane,,,,and the ball was taking every smidgin' of brreak. Of course the upside is that when you start the ball along a line - it keeps on that line. Fun...well...just. Will ask our head greenie what speed he reckoned they were playing as I haven't played them as fast as they were today for many moons.

Plus - big +++ I had a little epiphany thought when watching the Masters - pointing me at something that I could maybe change dead easy, width of stance. So out today I narrowed stance significantly - changing nothing else - and everything felt more comfortable and under control. Must get onto the range to check it out more intensively/extensively.

Last edited:

babylonsinger

Visit site
Group trip to Worcester for the weekend saw us play twice at Bransford GC (we were staying at the hotel on the same site). Stableford comp between ourselves on the Saturday. Nice consistent round minimising errors as I scored 37 points playing off 28. Highlight being a birdie 4 on the par 5 12th.

Sunday - we played 2 man Texas Scramble. Terrible round for my pair as we really struggled losing a good number of balls in the various water hazards there - I'll blame being hungover. Lovely course but found it long as a short hitter particularly the par 3s. Greens very quick but likely aided by me being incredibly clumsy with the putter

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played the Blue course at the Berkshire today. Fabulous course and setting with excellent facilities.
Only grumble would be greens had been renovated 4 weeks ago so with the cold spring a bit bobbly although didn't hinder my mate would shot level par with a double on the last.
Struggled on the fairways and distance control today but still very enjoyable

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Went for 18 holes early this afternoon with the FIL, first time we have played together in quite a while. His ball striking has come on quite a lot, however he now has a pre shot routine which takes a while. Hopefully this speeds up a bit as he gets used to his new moves.

Started off well and was +2 after 6 holes, played steady most of the way round, but had a couple of sloppy doubles on the back 9 and ended up on 81 gross.

It was actually very windy, which made it tough so walked away pretty happy. The 81 matched my 20th score which was a counter, now have a run of 5 rounds before the next counter is at risk so a good opportunity for the handicap to keep coming down.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know this is a few days ago but went around Basildon GC in 91 off the yellows (35 points). You got to love a week in golf as I went around my own course the Sunday before in 108 off the whites. Night and day! Was driving ok off the tee and have found something resembling a swing for the use of my driver & remaining clubs. Figured a few things I did wrong the previous week and it seems I was right as the golf resembled something of my usual standard - poor but encouraging! Could of broken into the 80s but had 3 doubles on the last 3 holes - typically me! In fact I had 6 doubles on my card - could have been epic if I could putt :ROFLMAO:

MikeF86

Visit site
Group trip to Worcester for the weekend saw us play twice at Bransford GC (we were staying at the hotel on the same site). Stableford comp between ourselves on the Saturday. Nice consistent round minimising errors as I scored 37 points playing off 28. Highlight being a birdie 4 on the par 5 12th.

Sunday - we played 2 man Texas Scramble. Terrible round for my pair as we really struggled losing a good number of balls in the various water hazards there - I'll blame being hungover. Lovely course but found it long as a short hitter particularly the par 3s. Greens very quick but likely aided by me being incredibly clumsy with the putter

I did my 4 rounds of golf in a day there last year with 7 pals raising money for prostate cancer. It is a long old walk, especially 4 times around!! And the hill to the Par 3 15th nearly finished a couple of them off on the 3rd / 4th rounds.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had my first "tryout" for the handicap team tonight.

Couldn't have started any worse with a hooky topped drive that nearly ended up on the 18th Green. A thinned wedge later I walked off with a DB 6.

After that I got into a groove and shot my best round of the year so far off a full course - an 80 that contained 2 doubles and a triple for accidentally playing the wrong ball.

I've been asked to play next week in a friendly and hopefully I can get a chance in the team - with matches at Fairhaven and SAOL in the fixture list its worth a shot.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Shot gross 33 for 8 holes in yesterdays Stableford, that was before the rain, which was persistent and got steadily heavier as the round went on to the point where I had no control of the club.

We came off the 18th to find out that the competition had been cancelled an hour earlier.

I am one of those who will go out and play for "fun" in those conditions accepting the challenge, so it wasn't the fact that we were left out there that irked but the fact that I spent an hour frustratingly trying hopelessly to hang on to a score for nothing. The good news is that my final effort no longer counts for H/cap as it wasn't submitted. The bad news my 2 on the 5th won't count in the 2's sweep as that goes the same way as the comp.

The course was left open. I spoke to the head greenkeeper, and he said it wasn't worth closing as nobody would be daft enough to go out.