I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played 9 holes this afternoon,.

The first time on the course with a set of clubs since surgery 6 weeks ago. Went off the 10th and started par, bogey, birdie then popped into too many greenside bunkers that were hard pan from the morning rain, and I didn't feel the desire to hit compacted sand too much and so soon. Tired at the end but it sets me up for my consultants chat tomorrow and 18 holes competition on Sunday

Felt so good to get out at last, and hit balls ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Day off today for a round with dad, uncle and cousin at Little Hay. It's normally a par 72 but they were still off mats which shortened the course to the point they felt the need to make three of the par 5s par 4s. ?

We did Stableford betterball match, me and my cousin vs the old fogeys. Long story short, we ran away with it really. 5 up after 9 but still only won 5 & 4 in the end as we took our foot off the gas I suppose.

Personally I shot 84 for 36 points, pretty pleased with that overall, even if I did have two blobs. Had a lovely birdie on the 4th, which is a 160 yard par 3 but severely downhill and with the wind behind, I went down two clubs to the 8 iron and ran it up to about 3 feet.

My dad did ok with 32 points off his arbitrary '36' handicap, my cousin & match partner managed 28 points off 28 (another arbitrary one) and my uncle with 27 points off 19 (real hcap for him). We thought the weather was going to be ropey, but aside from a bit of wind, it was drizzly for the first few holes, and the odd hole or two later ok but mostly stayed dry so a great day in the end. Only thing that ruined it was that the bar at Little Hay closes at 3:00 or 3:30 and we missed it! What a joke!

Boomy

Visit site
Gorse wasn't that colour when I last played about 3 weeks ago.....

Last out in comp tomorrow with no expectations of breaking 80 as I'm seriously under golfed at present. At least the snow on the hills will remind me of last weeks ski holiday, although tomorrow is going to be a lot colder than scorching hot Austria was :ROFLMAO:

Gross 76? ? Not too shabby for no golf for 3 weeks.

D

Deleted member 3432

Gross 76? ? Not too shabby for no golf for 3 weeks.

Got there early and went on the practice ground to remember how to hit it :ROFLMAO:

Just as well with the wind picking up. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron up 13 followed by Driver, 9 iron down 14 which was my worst shot of the day as I hoicked it left and short sided myself :mad:

You early starters had it easy ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tired at the end but it sets me up for my consultants chat tomorrow and 18 holes competition on Sunday

Felt so good to get out at last, and hit balls ?

Are we expecting a Tiger like news conference to announce whether the consultant says yes to the golf at the weekend (in seriousness won't that be pushing it a touch). Maybe you can get a live feed into Tiger's one and we can watch both

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Are we expecting a Tiger like news conference to announce whether the consultant says yes to the golf at the weekend (in seriousness won't that be pushing it a touch). Maybe you can get a live feed into Tiger's one and we can watch both

Bet he wouldn't have hit a 180 yard 5 iron to the par 4 12th raised green, and rolled in a 15 foot right, left putt for birdie ??

Boomy

Visit site
Got there early and went on the practice ground to remember how to hit it :ROFLMAO:

Just as well with the wind picking up. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron up 13 followed by Driver, 9 iron down 14 which was my worst shot of the day as I hoicked it left and short sided myself :mad:

You early starters had it easy ;)

A great knock sir ??

Too many doubles on my card, and far too many putts ?

The wind had picked up whilst we were out there, a very cold wind I might add ? I think the afternoon got easier ??

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
36 points round the New at at St Andrews. Drove great, ropey irons but quite a few up and downs saw me shoot level to handicap. Pleased as the wind was up, but, I'd tried to sign in on the EG app to register a score, but then realised it would recognise Scottish courses. :rolleyes:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Saturday on a shortened course due to winter greens, 42 points despite it being crazy golf when putting.
Played Sunday, not as solid but 3 birdies which is a record for me, should have had 4 as I was on our par 5 16th for 2 but managed to 3 putt ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday's Seniors Stableford just 34 points but good enough for 3rd in Division. If only I had made just 5 of the 11 makeable putts I missed..............

Greens were definitely in that in between period of a constant winter speed and a constant summer speed mainly due to different rates of growth in our mixed grass greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yesterday's Seniors Stableford just 34 points but good enough for 3rd in Division. If only I had made just 5 of the 11 makeable putts I missed..............

Greens were definitely in that in between period of a constant winter speed and a constant summer speed mainly due to different rates of growth in our mixed grass greens.

I shot a net 75 on Sunday and drove so badly and didn't make anything on the greens missing so many from 2-3 feet. Net 71 (+1) won so it would only have taken a couple of putts to drop, I pitched so well and never converted a single up and down. Mind you going OOB by less than a foot for a triple probably didn't help and a bogey puts me right in the mix and only needing one putt to drop. Always a game of tiny margins

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had an enjoyable round today with @Voyager EMH and @RichA all playing vintage clubs.

Not my best score ever but we all hit enough good shots to bring us back another day when, hopefully, the greens will be in better shape, I've never seen so many missed putts from inside 4 feet! :eek:

I was tired at the end and when I got home I fell asleep in my chair, this Covid is a pain even after you've had it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
And many thanks to @RichA who supplied me with Ping Eye2 3 and 5 woods to go with the driver I bought recently. Hit the 3-wood off the first tee after it being in my possession for 10 minutes. Hit it well, on the green in regulation and then 3 putts. Managed to repeat that pattern several times during the round!

Hit a few good 3-iron shots today as did @Crow. We have to be pleased with that at least, because it is so very, very difficult to hit old-school bladed 3-irons - as everybody knows. ;)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back home after 2 days in St Andrews, played the new on Sunday and I played some really good stuff, I didn’t score that well but my ball striking was excellent.
Played the old on Monday, hit a cracking drive on the first with a decent audience ??
The wind was brutal on the front nine, really struggled with it, then on the back nine I was in so many bunkers it wasn’t funny, hitting some cracking drives and there is massive bunkers in the middle of the fairways.
Really enjoyable couple of days.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back home after 2 days in St Andrews, played the new on Sunday and I played some really good stuff, I didn’t score that well but my ball striking was excellent.
Played the old on Monday, hit a cracking drive on the first with a decent audience ??
The wind was brutal on the front nine, really struggled with it, then on the back nine I was in so many bunkers it wasn’t funny, hitting some cracking drives and there is massive bunkers in the middle of the fairways.
Really enjoyable couple of days.

Me too !! We did Lundin Sunday, then the New Monday and the Jubilee yesterday. Got lucky with the weather yesterday morning as we got round before it really came in. 2nd time I've been and it just makes me want to move there.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Me too !! We did Lundin Sunday, then the New Monday and the Jubilee yesterday. Got lucky with the weather yesterday morning as we got round before it really came in. 2nd time I've been and it just makes me want to move there.
It’s a special place no doubt, I personally think the New was the better of the 2 courses but there was loads of people watching at the 1st / 18th and the opportunity to play it when the 150th Open will be there is something that not many get the chance to do.
You did get lucky yesterday with the weather then, it never stopped for me driving up the A9 ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And many thanks to @RichA who supplied me with Ping Eye2 3 and 5 woods to go with the driver I bought recently. Hit the 3-wood off the first tee after it being in my possession for 10 minutes. Hit it well, on the green in regulation and then 3 putts. Managed to repeat that pattern several times during the round!

Hit a few good 3-iron shots today as did @Crow. We have to be pleased with that at least, because it is so very, very difficult to hit old-school bladed 3-irons - as everybody knows. ;)

I knew many players who had the matching set. They could all hit the 3 wood really well but could never hit the driver well.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a special place no doubt, I personally think the New was the better of the 2 courses but there was loads of people watching at the 1st / 18th and the opportunity to play it when the 150th Open will be there is something that not many get the chance to do.
You did get lucky yesterday with the weather then, it never stopped for me driving up the A9 ?

We thought we'd give it a go but had every intention of doubling back after 5 holes on the jubilee but went over to the starter and he got us out about 50 minutes early. We had some light rain for 10 minutes but other than that it was just the strong wind and cold. We got round in 3 hrs just as it started to come down. The first 4 hours of the drive home were not pretty though.

The Jubilee was really good. Much better than what I was expecting. Had some cracking holes.