I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Winter league 4BBB round three today, frozen greens but not much wind.

By playing a running game rather than pitching into the greens we managed to cobble together 39 points which put us in first place, should be a good one to have in the bank if there's another testing day (best four rounds from five).

The Pirie "Gold Strike" putter was on good form. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Friday, me and my wife had the day off, drove down to Dorking Golf Club for nine holes with our friend who lives that way. Flipping brutal. It was cold and miserable, and the course was one of the hardest nine holers I've ever played. Two of the holes had greens that were literally at the top of hills. The layout was bizarre as well teeing off across other fairways or greens a couple of times so a lot of standing around waiting for people to clear out of the way. The course wasn't faring that well in the conditions either so a bit of a mudbath. Pretty awful score for me, 47 for 12 points - only managed one par. Even worse for the wife as she struggled to a 73, not to mention she slipped on her backside in the mud as well so she wasn't happy! But that wasn't funny at all of course. ?

Woke up yesterday with a throat like sandpaper so playing golf in freezing rain obviously wasn't the one. ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Temp greens today so inter club scratch match postponed . Played in the 15 hole Texas scramble and had 11 birdies , nowhere near the 18 under which was winning. Lots of debris around the course and 4 trees down .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played with Fragger this afternoon.
It was a monthly stableford....we heard from some early starters that the greens were frozen so didn't bother with the comp or a card...Good job too.
Our " wonderful" rock up and play system saw us, at 12 noon, behind 2 3 balls waiting on the 1st
We got off about 12.15 and waited on every single shot until the 9th green. We made noises, waved arms etc but they were not going to let us through....
I said that its either go home or we play the front 9 again....
So we played the front 9 again until the 3rd hole when another slow group showed no interest in letting us past so we came back to the clubhouse.
If the 10th is clear let's play 10 and 11 - that's a plan
10 was clear so off we went
Finished 11, looked over to 12 and it was clear too so we decided to play on and finish on 16 which is a short walk to the car park.
Played on and, if we'd kept on down 17 and 18, we'd have caught the 3 ball in front again....they were halfway down 17 when we finished 16.
Had we been putting a card in or been in the comp we'd have finished in the dark.
Peasants :mad:
No idea on the scores because the greens were frozen i was just hitting shots.. did birdie the 9th though....

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Played with Fragger this afternoon.
It was a monthly stableford....we heard from some early starters that the greens were frozen so didn't bother with the comp or a card...Good job too.
Our " wonderful" rock up and play system saw us, at 12 noon, behind 2 3 balls waiting on the 1st
We got off about 12.15 and waited on every single shot until the 9th green. We made noises, waved arms etc but they were not going to let us through....
I said that its either go home or we play the front 9 again....
So we played the front 9 again until the 3rd hole when another slow group showed no interest in letting us past so we came back to the clubhouse.
If the 10th is clear let's play 10 and 11 - that's a plan
10 was clear so off we went
Finished 11, looked over to 12 and it was clear too so we decided to play on and finish on 16 which is a short walk to the car park.
Played on and, if we'd kept on down 17 and 18, we'd have caught the 3 ball in front again....they were halfway down 17 when we finished 16.
Had we been putting a card in or been in the comp we'd have finished in the dark.
Peasants :mad:
No idea on the scores because the greens were frozen i was just hitting shots.. did birdie the 9th though....
Were the 2 x 3 balls playing in the monthly medal

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well that was character building at times.

Was meant to be playing at Preston GC with a pal and his dad but was informed in the morning that they were off temporary greens, so we decided to switch to my club.

It was snowing when we started and by the 4th hole the greens were pretty white. Putting on them was amusing watching the balls gather the snow and then pull them way off line.

Once the snow stopped they soon melted off though and, despite a bit of a lull when we got stuck behind a society, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Was actually playing pretty well and shot a 79. Decent driving, decent irons and decent wedges. Putting and chipping was a bit of a lottery with the snow so I'll not take too much from that.

20211128_183654.jpg20211128_183617.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played in the rain and strong winds on Saturday and managed 35 points off the yellows to pick up second place in the roll up. Came third in the Sunday roll up off the whites. Much harder yesterday with rock hard greens meaning even well hit shots would pitch and simply bounce through and then it was a lottery trying to land it short and roll out. Some areas seemed soft and the ball would stick and sometimes it would release. Despite a wind chill of around -5 (according to Met Office) I was actually nice and warm with my layers, hat and mittens. Short game was crap trying to chip onto rock hard greens so need to get that back in order

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a brilliant match yesterday, winter pairs knockout. We were 2 or 3 down most of the round, got it back to 1 after the 11th, thought we’d got them back to all square on the 12th, they holed a monster putt, I missed my 12 footer for a half. My head dropped and we lost the next hole, 3 down now, 5 to play, I’m mentally in the bar. My pp wins the next, I win the 15th, OH HELLO, 1 down, 3 to play. It’s snowing now, and getting dark. They hole another monster putt to win the 16th. We win the 17th. 1 down 1 to play. Our 18th off the whites is like a tunnel of trees, wind and snow in face, dark, I slice mine, pp duck hooks his into the abyss, they both hit down the middle. Pp asks if we should just shake their hands now and get in…not yet, let’s see if I find mine. We find mine, chip out and I’m on the green for 3. They both miss their putts, I sink mine, play off hole! It’s now proper dark (4.15), snowing and cold. We both par the hole. No way we can carry on now so having to have a replay! What a match though, great fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
4th day in a row I've chickened out and each time it's been sunny, but cold. Only played once in the last 7 days...unheard of for me unless I'm ill.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A tough knock around yesterday morning. Frozen course all over. Impossible to stick greens on approach. Putting was hard as nails.

29 points.

One of those rounds when you finish and think the extra hours in bed were probably the better option.

We go again soon!

yandabrown

Visit site
Played 2x9 yesterday once the course had opened after the frost delay. Absolutley love playing on sunny, dry winter days, 6 layers of clothing on so fingers and ears were still warm and needed no hat, though did get even colder once the sun disappeared behind some rougue clouds. I even played reasonably well.

AliMc

Visit site
4th day in a row I've chickened out and each time it's been sunny, but cold. Only played once in the last 7 days...unheard of for me unless I'm ill.
Get yourself back out there !
Dunbar today a bit like that not too windy but still a wee bit chilly, a few trees down after the storm, two off to the left of the 18th tee and numerous behind the oob wall along the side of 7, 8 and 9 so not affecting play really, course in good condition considering

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Get yourself back out there !
Dunbar today a bit like that not too windy but still a wee bit chilly, a few trees down after the storm, two off to the left of the 18th tee and numerous behind the oob wall along the side of 7, 8 and 9 so not affecting play really, course in good condition considering
Trouble is we played at 9am, so I have to leave the house in Inverness by 8 to miss the worst of the traffic, trouble is it's still pretty dark at that time, its difficult to see how the weather is going to pan out at that time.