I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well. Ok I'm allowed to gloat
I played with little chubby Bro ( @Imurg ) today in pretty bad weather conditions and handed him his backside on a silver platter with all the trimmings

We both blobbed the first, he had an eagle putt on the 2nd, which only got half way, ending up with a par and for him it went downhill from there
lost 2 balls on the 4th after identical sliced drives, while I parred it for 4 points :) etc etc
19-13 after 9, then had 21 on the back nine to end up 40-28. Should have put a card in grrr

Very happy with how I played in the conditions

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Pretty tough conditions for me too in the December Stableford; cold, windy with on and off rain.

After 16 holes I was 1 under handicap but then pushed my drive on the 17th, made a good course management decision to play a 7 iron and get it back on the fairway but made a bad shot execution and fatted it 10 yards! Had another go and just clipped a tree and dropped straight down, ended up needing a 20 footer for a point but not to be.

On to the 18th, a 201 yard par 3 over water into the wind, I took driver :eek: but didn't catch it all and a low bullet didn't quite clear the water. Dropped and hit a 5 iron which wasn't enough and finished short, below the raised green and short sided with a bunker to go over, played an okay SW up to the fringe and holed a 15 footer for bogey and a point.

Finished on 34 points in 5th when 36 would have got me 4th and in the places.

Should be a handicap cut though.
Under the old system I'm sure CSS would have gone up as Div 1 was won with 34 points and Div 2 38, only three players scored over 36 points. (Par 72, CR 71.9)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well. Ok I'm allowed to gloat
I played with little chubby Bro ( @Imurg ) today in pretty bad weather conditions and handed him his backside on a silver platter with all the trimmings

We both blobbed the first, he had an eagle putt on the 2nd, which only got half way, ending up with a par and for him it went downhill from there
lost 2 balls on the 4th after identical sliced drives, while I parred it for 4 points :) etc etc
19-13 after 9, then had 21 on the back nine to end up 40-28. Should have put a card in grrr

Very happy with how I played in the conditions
Can't argue with the Man......
I didn't play particularly well and had no luck.
On one hole my ball finished 2 feet from a bunker...all I could do was either teeter on the edge or have my feet in the bunker and the ball above waist height...
Another hole and the ball skipped through the bunker and finished an inch above it...again , no stance....
3 very poor drives which annoyed because I've been driving well recently..

Just done the maths...
Had Fragger put this card in his HI would drop and he would get 26 shots next time out (-1)
His CONGU handicap was a similar number to his current index
Under the old system he would be getting 19 shots next time out.....(-3)
:unsure::whistle::rolleyes:
It says something when you have to par your shot holes to not lose ground on the scoreboard...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played yesterday in the comp and got beaten up by the conditions along with my own poor performance. Scrambled well or the score would have been very mediocre. Shame as I was looking forward to the comp and a cut having come second in the roll up on Saturday. Thought I was in a good place golf wise. Putting it down to the wind, wind chill and Saturday beers

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Winter league 4bbb in foul conditions, played some of my best golf of the year.

When into a strong wind, peeing rain and very cold I bogied, and with the wind etc etc I par'd and a couple of useful birdies. The main plus was that my normally ok chipping was infinitely better, despite the ever accumulating rain, and we picked up quite a few points that normally be lost. Only downside was the last three holes, back into the wind and rain netting only 3 points.

Took all afternoon to feel warm again even though I layered up well

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I played Strensall (York) for the first time in about 15 years and it was tremendous. Tees forward, tees near greens and no temps. Loved it. Even played ok, with a Faldo-like run of 14 pars to finish for a 72. Normally would be over the moon but find playing from mats saves me all sorts of shots - hit more greens, don't dread 50-yard pitches. Anyway, the moral of the story is to play Strensall if you get the chance

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Played the Red course @ Frilford Heath today as a pre birthday outing, forecast wasn’t great but overall not an issue. My golf was very up & down, I think I was -1 under handicap. I did have two firsts today though;
- a crow nicked my ball.
- we went from 5>12….pouring rain and we all missed the next tee markers, only realised when we couldn’t find the 9th tee……

AliMc

Visit site
Managed a game at Dunbar just before the rain and also the storm starting to move in, round in about 74 for a comfort 5&4 win in the 4bbb, we thought about giving them some extra shots, they were only getting one each, but the thought of the £4 prize put that to the back of our minds soon enough ? think tomorrow's game will probably be off looking at the forecast

AliMc

Visit site
Managed a game at Dunbar just before the rain and also the storm starting to move in, round in about 74 for a comfort 5&4 win in the 4bbb, we thought about giving them some extra shots, they were only getting one each, but the thought of the £4 prize put that to the back of our minds soon enough ? think tomorrow's game will probably be off looking at the forecast
Also a wee bit windy today 13th 360 yards, driver and 3 wood to the heart of the green, 14th 420 yards, driver and flick with 58 degree wedge to about 8 feet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think it'll be touch and go if we are open first thing. Absolutely came down this afternoon and already wet in spots. Hopefully the strong winds will help dry it before the weekend. Some tales of woe on the whatsapp group of players struggling big time today. Not sure I'd have bothered given the forecast but it begs the question what is the worse/hardest conditions you've been out in?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tough today. Next to last hole. Hanging about waiting on the group in front, my bag blew over then the wind blew it down the fairway. I kid you not. Very funny. Not impressed with a Florida scramble idea though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played 9 first thing..probably as good conditions as its going to be all week....
Already binned tomorrow.
Some holes will be completely unplayable in 40 + mph winds
Should get out Thursday and Friday though...

AliMc

Visit site
Think it'll be touch and go if we are open first thing. Absolutely came down this afternoon and already wet in spots. Hopefully the strong winds will help dry it before the weekend. Some tales of woe on the whatsapp group of players struggling big time today. Not sure I'd have bothered given the forecast but it begs the question what is the worse/hardest conditions you've been out in?
Obviously being a true links course we get a lot of wind at Dunbar and sometimes we just can't play, I've also played in some real monsoons, but I'm actually a good 'bad' weather player, almost all my best results (not lowest scores but in relation to the rest of the field) have come in pretty inclement weather, probably due to the fact that I hit it pretty low so don't really lose out as much distance wise as others

AliMc

Visit site
Obviously being a true links course we get a lot of wind at Dunbar and sometimes we just can't play, I've also played in some real monsoons, but I'm actually a good 'bad' weather player, almost all my best results (not lowest scores but in relation to the rest of the field) have come in pretty inclement weather, probably due to the fact that I hit it pretty low so don't really lose out as much distance wise as others
Should also say that I much prefer to play in a 10-15 mph breeze than flat calm conditions, find it much easier to shape the ball

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I can understand that. I played in a society day at Milford just after Christmas. Proper thick fog and distance about 50 yards tops and should have been shut. They wanted our cash (and had no doubt weighed out to the kitchen for our food after) and suggested we wet out (knowing if we started we wouldn't get a refund. A lot of the players were not great and so weren't hitting too far (or straight) and we started by calling back after each shot. As a "better" golfer it was far harder to judge. How we got round without any incidents was amazing. Definitely an issue with the club grabbing the cash.

Played at Bude & North Cornwall where the tip of the flag on the island par 3 fourth green was touching the ground. That was a challenge. Again went with a few guys that aren't regular golfers (boys weekend away) so the conditions were a real eye opener but funnily not hitting it high or hard often helped.

AliMc

Visit site
So the weather forecast turned out to be completely wrong and it was warm and flat calm today, shot 74 again with a gp scorecard as there was only 3 of us, should be in line for a cut of 0.5 or 0.6 back down to 5.5 winter golf eh