I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Only 17 of us went out in our rollup. It was very windy, very cold, and it rained a little and sleeted a little. Nonetheless playing off our front tees I still managed to accumulate 37pts and a joint win…😊. And for my troubles I’ll probably see myself £6 better off. But hey. I don‘t play golf to pay the mortgage - just as well.

Winter league 4BBB round three today, frozen greens but not much wind.

By playing a running game rather than pitching into the greens we managed to cobble together 39 points which put us in first place, should be a good one to have in the bank if there's another testing day (best four rounds from five).

The Pirie "Gold Strike" putter was on good form. :)

On Friday, me and my wife had the day off, drove down to Dorking Golf Club for nine holes with our friend who lives that way. Flipping brutal. It was cold and miserable, and the course was one of the hardest nine holers I've ever played. Two of the holes had greens that were literally at the top of hills. The layout was bizarre as well teeing off across other fairways or greens a couple of times so a lot of standing around waiting for people to clear out of the way. The course wasn't faring that well in the conditions either so a bit of a mudbath. Pretty awful score for me, 47 for 12 points - only managed one par. Even worse for the wife as she struggled to a 73, not to mention she slipped on her backside in the mud as well so she wasn't happy! But that wasn't funny at all of course. 😆

Woke up yesterday with a throat like sandpaper so playing golf in freezing rain obviously wasn't the one. 😕

Thread starter #10,014

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Played with Fragger this afternoon.
It was a monthly stableford....we heard from some early starters that the greens were frozen so didn't bother with the comp or a card...Good job too.
Our " wonderful" rock up and play system saw us, at 12 noon, behind 2 3 balls waiting on the 1st
We got off about 12.15 and waited on every single shot until the 9th green. We made noises, waved arms etc but they were not going to let us through....
I said that its either go home or we play the front 9 again....
So we played the front 9 again until the 3rd hole when another slow group showed no interest in letting us past so we came back to the clubhouse.
If the 10th is clear let's play 10 and 11 - that's a plan
10 was clear so off we went
Finished 11, looked over to 12 and it was clear too so we decided to play on and finish on 16 which is a short walk to the car park.
Played on and, if we'd kept on down 17 and 18, we'd have caught the 3 ball in front again....they were halfway down 17 when we finished 16.
Had we been putting a card in or been in the comp we'd have finished in the dark.
Peasants :mad:
No idea on the scores because the greens were frozen i was just hitting shots.. did birdie the 9th though....

Played with Fragger this afternoon.
It was a monthly stableford....we heard from some early starters that the greens were frozen so didn't bother with the comp or a card...Good job too.
Our " wonderful" rock up and play system saw us, at 12 noon, behind 2 3 balls waiting on the 1st
We got off about 12.15 and waited on every single shot until the 9th green. We made noises, waved arms etc but they were not going to let us through....
I said that its either go home or we play the front 9 again....
So we played the front 9 again until the 3rd hole when another slow group showed no interest in letting us past so we came back to the clubhouse.
If the 10th is clear let's play 10 and 11 - that's a plan
10 was clear so off we went
Finished 11, looked over to 12 and it was clear too so we decided to play on and finish on 16 which is a short walk to the car park.
Played on and, if we'd kept on down 17 and 18, we'd have caught the 3 ball in front again....they were halfway down 17 when we finished 16.
Had we been putting a card in or been in the comp we'd have finished in the dark.
Peasants :mad:
No idea on the scores because the greens were frozen i was just hitting shots.. did birdie the 9th though....
Were the 2 x 3 balls playing in the monthly medal

HeftyHacker

Well that was character building at times.

Was meant to be playing at Preston GC with a pal and his dad but was informed in the morning that they were off temporary greens, so we decided to switch to my club.

It was snowing when we started and by the 4th hole the greens were pretty white. Putting on them was amusing watching the balls gather the snow and then pull them way off line.

Once the snow stopped they soon melted off though and, despite a bit of a lull when we got stuck behind a society, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Was actually playing pretty well and shot a 79. Decent driving, decent irons and decent wedges. Putting and chipping was a bit of a lottery with the snow so I'll not take too much from that.

20211128_183654.jpg 20211128_183617.jpg

Played in the rain and strong winds on Saturday and managed 35 points off the yellows to pick up second place in the roll up. Came third in the Sunday roll up off the whites. Much harder yesterday with rock hard greens meaning even well hit shots would pitch and simply bounce through and then it was a lottery trying to land it short and roll out. Some areas seemed soft and the ball would stick and sometimes it would release. Despite a wind chill of around -5 (according to Met Office) I was actually nice and warm with my layers, hat and mittens. Short game was crap trying to chip onto rock hard greens so need to get that back in order