I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bit the bullet today and went for a game. A balmy 7 deg which is head and shoulders better to play in even with the fact it was a bit drizzly. Only down side was the green keepers were burning a couple of fallen trees, one next to the toilets the back of the 11th tee. It is a Scots pine so they were burning wet conifers... the smoke was so bad from the 10th tee you could hardly see a foot in front of you. It would have been fine if they were trying to cover a strategic withdrawal ?. Hit it OK, greens have recovered well from winter maintenance. Might even play again tomorrow as its supposed to be similar

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yesterday I played a seniors inter-club match at Reigate Heath. We started at 8.30. On the first I was just short of the green after two and I sent my wedge shot on to green and it landed just where I had aimed … only for it to bounce 15 foot into the air, followed by a 10 foot bounce and a 5 foot one before it disappeared off the back. I forgot that the green would probably be frozen solid ?. Still, my partner and I won by 2&1 and our club won the match, so all ended up OK.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Struggled with my driving again on the front nine. Got it going from the 8th onwards. 16 front nine and 20 points on the back which won a tenner.

D

Deleted member 3432

Bit the bullet today and went for a game. A balmy 7 deg which is head and shoulders better to play in even with the fact it was a bit drizzly. Only down side was the green keepers were burning a couple of fallen trees, one next to the toilets the back of the 11th tee. It is a Scots pine so they were burning wet conifers... the smoke was so bad from the 10th tee you could hardly see a foot in front of you. It would have been fine if they were trying to cover a strategic withdrawal ?. Hit it OK, greens have recovered well from winter maintenance. Might even play again tomorrow as its supposed to be similar

Trees on a links, must be far too sheltered up there if trees can grow...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Trees on a links, must be far too sheltered up there if trees can grow...
You've obviously never been to carnoustie dear boy, hundreds of the horrible things there, ours are only on the periphery.one of the family's that have been members since the club was started own a sawmill, so planted loads around the edges,m9st have gone now though.

D

Deleted member 3432

You've obviously never been to carnoustie dear boy, hundreds of the horrible things there, ours are only on the periphery.one of the family's that have been members since the club was started own a sawmill, so planted loads around the edges,m9st have gone now though.

Certainly can't disagree about Carnoustie, two or three holes have a proper parkland look and feel to them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Almost didn't play this morning..horizontalish rain and not overly warm....
Wasn't nice just getting the kit out of the car.
About 10 minutes later it eased so we went for it.
1st hole and I'm thinking I should have stayed in bed....:rolleyes:
But...got on with it and managed to put a score together
2 sets of back-to-back birdies helped.
With a double on the first I was 3 over for the front, started with 2 bogeys on the back, had another double and still ended up 3 over for the back 9 for a 77 and 38 points...
In those conditions, ok the rain had stopped but the wind picked up, I'm pretty happy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Almost didn't play this morning..horizontalish rain and not overly warm....
Wasn't nice just getting the kit out of the car.
About 10 minutes later it eased so we went for it.
1st hole and I'm thinking I should have stayed in bed....:rolleyes:
But...got on with it and managed to put a score together
2 sets of back-to-back birdies helped.
With a double on the first I was 3 over for the front, started with 2 bogeys on the back, had another double and still ended up 3 over for the back 9 for a 77 and 38 points...
In those conditions, ok the rain had stopped but the wind picked up, I'm pretty happy.

Did you beat a certain follically challenged brother?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A nice surprise game this morning, wasn't looking good after the forecast last night, which was for cold, snow and 30 mph winds. Turn out quite sunny, maybe a 2 club breeze, but it was pretty cold on the first few holes. Was quite pleasant on the back 9. Round in under 2 and a half hours as there was hardly a soul on the course, I think only one 2 ball had gone out ahead of us, so flew round. I expected winter greens on the drive over and the snow I could see on the other side of the moray firth settled on the black Isle. Great to see the GS cutting the clump of birch trees on the left of 12 at long last.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
12 holes last night…and as things are starting to improve on the strike front, with shanking no longer featuring regularly, I am looking to do a fuller backswing by letting my hips turn…and on a few occasions last night that worked. Especially pleasing was the high flighted 4hybrid that carried 180yds. That’s pretty much unheard of for me - certainly of late and with my new bats. But baby steps at the moment and not getting ahead of myself.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
12 holes last night…and as things are starting to improve on the strike front, with shanking no longer featuring regularly, I am looking to do a fuller backswing by letting my hips turn…and on a few occasions last night that worked. Especially pleasing was the high flighted 4hybrid that carried 180yds. That’s pretty much unheard of for me - certainly of late and with my new bats. But baby steps at the moment and not getting ahead of myself.
Good stuff, I'm having a clear out are you still interested in that pro launch red shaft?

D

Deleted member 3432

Quite pleasant today, about 8 degrees and a 2 club westerly wind which you would take if offered beforehand.

Played decent so all is well in the world.

Not looking so good for Tuesday's game, 40 mph plus wind forecast, let's hope its only 20 ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quite pleasant today, about 8 degrees and a 2 club westerly wind which you would take if offered beforehand.

Played decent so all is well in the world.

Not looking so good for Tuesday's game, 40 mph plus wind forecast, let's hope its only 20 ?
Same here, had a nice game this morning undervthe same conditions.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Stableford comp today.
I hit a nice drive up the first and left myself an 8 iron for my second.

Although I've not hit one for a few rounds, for some reason as I stood over the ball with 8 iron in hand I thought "shank", guess what shot I hit?

I couldn't even find the ball in the deep rough on the right for my third shot so blobbed the first hole from position A!

Scored a mediocre 32 points.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Selsdon Park today, as it is due to close at the end of the month and may not reopen as a golf course. I thought it was a good course and I really enjoyed it … will be a shame if it doesn‘t come back. 34 points.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another epic battle in the 3rd round of the foursomes cup. This time there were no shots given as we were playing guys off similar handicaps to ourselves. First hole my mate tugs it well left of the green, but I played a good recovery with the pitch to the far edge of the green, and subsequently I sank a four footer for bogey to win the hole. Then we had a nightmare in the bunkers (yes plural) on the 2nd so back to all square. Aside from an absolute mare on the 5th (conceded hole before they'd even played their second shot..), we had a strong front nine and found ourselves 4 up at the turn - only one hole had actually been halved!

From there we promptly went and lost 4 holes in a row. Just wheels fell off for both of us really, all bad tee shots and not being able to recover. Then we won the 14th and 15th, which are both par 3s currently, as we each hit lovely tee shots on them. So back to 2 up, we then halved the 16th (only the second halved hole of the match), but came unstuck on the 17th and lost that one so we're 1 up going down the last. They hooked it left and I sliced it right, but although I was annoyed you are definitely far better off on the right. My mate played a good punch shot down near the green, they had to go for it, but got entangled in some branches - and then a very tough bunker they couldn't get out of, so we shook hands.

So we nearly pooed the bed completely, but we came through in the end with the win that puts us into the quarter finals! Weirdly my game was backwards today as normally my driving is great, putting rubbish, whereas my driving was pretty poor but I putted excellently. I think all four players had our great moments and terrible ones, hence why there were so few halves! Exciting one for the neutral. On to the quarters!