I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Opposite of yesterday, great front 9 and a sketchy back 9 that felt like a real struggle - maybe it’s due to running out of Easter eggs on the 9th....

39 front 45 back. Chipping is rusty and I keep leaving them very short despite greens being fairly quick. Driver was as cold as the snow falling but 33 putts kept things respectable.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just got back from a few holes. Wasn't scoring so just concentrated on trying to get the new swing changes on my long irons embedded, so was hitting my 5 iron off every tee and hitting 3 balls (I was the only one on course).

Was getting really annoyed with myself and then on the 17th it just seemed to click and I started hitting them much more flush. Not sure if I'll be getting the distance I want as it was a 40mph headwind so will have to go the range tomorrow and try again... with MY NEW IRONS!!!

D

Deleted member 21258

3 x 18 holes, 1 x 12 holes, 2 x 9 holes over the last week ,played 3 different courses, first tee offs, last tee offs, loved every moment of it, played pretty well, pooped, hands ache, had a rest today!

Next week not looking so good, no games booked so far:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Headed out for my first full 18 on Monifieth Medal since my season ticket for both courses went live on April 1st, though I did play the back nine in dead still conditions the other night.

This afternoon was very different - although it was beautiful sunshine there was a constant 40mph (gusting well above that) bitingly cold wind blowing from North, North, West - so basically straight across left to right for the first six holes which have out of bounds and the main railway line from London to Aberdeen on the right. Amazingly I managed to avoid my occasional push on any of those holes, managed to hit it up the left and let the wind bring it back.

Nobody booked in front of me and just a young low handicap lad straight behind me - let him through at the fifth as I had a real camera (well my wee Fuji that i use on holiday) with me and wanted to take some pics - nobody else for a good half an hour behind us.

It was an adventure out there - aiming right or left of fairways and greens and watching the wind bring it back. Very much the sort of day when if it starts going wrong you could end up losing your swing. I hit the ball well (for me) today and loved playing the full 18 on the Medal for probably the first time in five or six years, scored 45 out and 44 back which is OK for me, could have been better but given the wind could have been much worse.

My hands were getting very cold by the time I walked off the ninth green and I considered just going up 16, 17 and 18 as there looked like there could be rain in the direction the wind was coming from but decided to carry on as holes 10 to15 are largely sheltered from the wind (at least at ground level) - the wind was still affecting the ball though as I discovered at the 13th when my wedge approach dived left into a greenside bunker I'm sure wasn't there five years ago - led to me playing a shot while on my knees for I think the first time ever - successfully too (well I got the ball out pin high - missed the putt).

Had to have a look in the hole at the back of the green to check as I walked across the par three 14th (which was right into the sun) but then spotted my ball in the rough at the back of the green - was right on line, and I'd had the thought of 'do I want this to be in the hole when I'm on my own' as I walked off the tee.

Then had an exciting time on the 15th - was just about to putt from the back of the green when I noticed that the background had gone completely white - just managed to get my rain jacket on and we had a cracking hailstorm which must have lasted less than a couple of minutes, thankfully it wasn't rain and even more thankfully it was brief.

Rest of the holes were uneventful - steady golf, wind dropped somewhat after the storm and as I walked off the course I had a look at the forecast on my phone - 17-26mph forecast for rest of evening - will be nice out there.

Here's some snapshots of the Medal - not the best lighting conditions for photos.

View attachment 36017
Par three - 5th green

View attachment 36018
Walking off the 7th tee

View attachment 36019
Par five 9th

View attachment 36020
Par three 11th looking back towards the tee

View attachment 36021
12th hole from the left rough - you can see a haze in the background which is dust from ploughed fields blowing across Panmure (which is the other side of those trees)

View attachment 36028
13th hole from left rough

View attachment 36024
14th green

View attachment 36025
15th green - hailstorm

View attachment 36027
15th green - a minute later

View attachment 36026
15th green another couple of minutes later
just about sums up the weather at the moment

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday and judging by the gaps on the course there must have been quite a few that cried off. Not as bad as they predicted until getting towards the end of the round with a few gusts in the 30-40 MPH range.

Still trying new clubs although the new TM SIM driver was resold on ebay at the weekend no better and probably worse for me than my M4. Stlll trying out new to meirons. Took out a mix of both yesterday and coming down firmly in favour of one set of the over.

Enough good shots for me to start thinking about getting my handicap back down once the weather and greens improve.

D

Deleted member 21258

Too many double bogeys again wrecking the card, wind was swirling making things tricky. Front 9 was a real grind at 43 strokes but managed a 40 back to finish 2 over handicap (11 strokes under WHS). Very cold to start but thankfully the valley protected us from the wind.

Lowlight was a shanked wedge into the 5th, high light was reaching the par 5 16th in 2 and getting the birdie.

Looks stunning.
Are the fairways, as tight as they look in those pictures ? Would spend all day in the heather or trees:oops:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks stunning.
Are the fairways, as tight as they look in those pictures ? Would spend all day in the heather or trees:oops:

It is quite tight, 7th is the tightest on the course and it’s an intimidating tee shot. The front 9 in the valley are a bit more forgiving, if your first bounce is a few feet into the heather you usually get a bounce back into the fairway.

Attachments

• F9E8F119-91AE-42CF-81AC-948B91F00F57.jpeg
    F9E8F119-91AE-42CF-81AC-948B91F00F57.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 9

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On Saturday’s round I had no idea where the irons were going, with several coming off of the toe. Sunday was much better, with only the odd poor shot.

Had a lesson this evening and turns out it was simply that I was standing too far from the ball. I suspect that I always have to some extent and hoping for a more consistent strike going forward.

Looking forward to my next game at the weekend, where my new found confidence will probably disappear after a few shots.

D

Deleted member 3432

Hit 3 fairways, missed the rest 30 yards or more to the left.....

Rest of the game was junk, more than a tad cold, blowing a hoolie and several attempts to snow.

Never play well when I've been on nights but today was embarrassing .

On consolation is played shiite on a great course.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Went out on whim as the wind had dropped tonight, the missus decided to join me and we only intended playing nine holes, her first time playing the Medal course since we expanded our season tickets to include it - It was a bit chilly as we teed off at 5.45 but once we got moving we warmed up, it was gorgeous and we ended up playing the full 18 - nobody behind us, never held up by the people in front.

Apart from making an absolute mess of the 6th I played very nicely indeed, if I was someone who scored social rounds in stableford points then I'd have been very happy with my score.

Putted much better than Monday, greens, although not massive, are a fair bit larger than I've got used to on the Ashludie. Walked off the 18th green at 8.20, any later and playing the final hole would have been dodgy.

Good fun out there.

IMG_5005.jpg
View of 4th green on Monifieth Medal from just off the side of 5th tee.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
18 holes on the heath last night. Tad chilly into the wind, but fortunately it dropped on the back nine.

79 gross for 37 points having started with a double/ blob. ? Didn’t feel I played that well, so,perhaps a good sign ?

Greens are really firm and quick now and not holding. Fortunately we don’t have bunkers in front of the green so can run the ball in. Might have to get rid of the winter concrete balls and get some decent ones out.

Fantastic to be back out with mates again. ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played the Kings yesterday afternoon, cold and windy, though at least it was sunny. my the course was playing long with damp Fairways and a 3 club wind that wasn't really heling except on the 10th 150 yard par 3. hit it OK after my lesson, felt strange, but when it came off the results spoke for themselves, stuck it in the burn off the tee on 4th usually can't reach into the wind. 6 was drive and wedge, 14th (470) drive and 6 iron 17 drive and 6 iron. alas 18th was a let down as i dunked my 2nd in the pond

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am getting there. 12 shots better than last Saturday and played to my handicap. A couple of really awful lies caused 5 drop shots. One was having to stand with back to the hole and hitting back handed and outside of my body line due a ball that was within 2 inches of a bunker on the greenside.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had a day off the golf today but took my new irons out last night for 18 holes. I spent the first 9 holes thinning everything - i genuinely think I was scared of getting them muddy ?. By the back 9 I was beginning to hit them pretty nicely and ended up 8 over on the back 9 on a course I've only played twice so pretty happy with that!

Out tomorrow on my own course which is in far better nick so looking forward to having a proper hit out with them!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got out on the course at 5pm. Stuck behind a four ball who I'm pretty sure were not on the online booking sheet (or I wouldn't have stuck myself right behind them). I just hung back though so I could retake any poor shots - which was most of them as it turned out. I've come to the conclusion I don't play well on my own. Or with other people... Other than that I'm fine.

First hole I made a lovely up and down from the bunker to save par (God bless the Sure Out), but that was as good as it got. Hit plenty of thins and even a top. Putting was 'experimental' let's say. I noticed I seem to have moved down the grip and got more hunched, so I returned my hands nearer the end of the grip and stood up more. Unclear whether it actually helped or not. Finally got my second par on the 9th, and called it a day - was going to play a couple more holes but it had already taken over 1.5 hours of pathetic golf to play the front nine so I left it there. 46 gross, 14 points. 19 putts. Same :poop: different day.