I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played my last round at Ullesthorpe on Wednesday 31st.
Played poorly and didn't really enjoy it, which was a good thing as it confirms what I've felt for a while and I'll have no regrets leaving the course, just the members I'll be missing. :(
Are you joining somewhere else Nick?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Two trips to the driving range and chipping green as a warm up earlier in the week.
I played the Championship course at Willow Valley. What a beautiful but hard course, lots of water and tough approaches with water/bunker guarded greens. For a golfer aiming for 95-98 scores, to play on a tough course for a first game back and score 105 made me happy! If I didn’t start off with 8, 6, 8 maybe I could have got sub 100 with a bit of quicker improvement. Ah well!
Back on it now so no excuses :)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Took the boy to the par 3 pay and play in Cambridge. It was extremely busy and took 2 hours to get round.

I can understand the place wanting to make money after lockdown, but this was just silly. Luckily the boy hit it well so wanted to stick it out.

There were a lot of families with youn kids there. If this is their first experience of golf I'm not sure they would want to come back.

What really didn't help was people trying to cut in front of others. But worse was the two groups of morons playing in two groups of 8, shouting swearing, drinking and peeing in full view of others. They carried on despite being asked to wind it in. It was like they were deliberately trying to be as disruptive as possible.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played round 2 of our delayed foursomes competition. A bit apprehensive as partner hadn't touched his clubs since start of December. I managed two or three rather good bunker shots and sank a few decent putts. Partner managed a few great pitches from 40-60 yards including one into the hole for birdie. Managed to get to 5 up before having a bit of a hiccup, then finished out at 3&2. A good day.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Absolutely gorgeous out there this morning - bit of frost at 6.50 when I teed off but got a bit of sunrise colour to go with it. Not a breath of wind and it warmed up considerably as the sun got higher in the sky.

Out in 40 and back in 43 though I thought I hit the ball better on the way back, score didn't matter though as it was just an absolute pleasure to be on the course in fantastic weather. Gone from hating the Cobra one length hybrid to loving it, so much that I'm looking for reasons to hit it when it's probably not the club I need to hit.

And after struggling a bit with my irons the last couple of rounds I hit them pretty solidly this morning.

Walking the 1000 metres or so home from the 18th I met one of my mates who I hadn't seen for months so got a catch up with him - life is good this morning.

IMG_4920.jpg
First tee Ashludie course at Monifieth Links 6.50am

IMG_4924.jpg
Third green Ashludie course at Monifieth Links

IMG_4925.jpg
Walking down the 4th hole, Ashludie course at Monifieth Links

IMG_4926.jpg
15th green Ashludie course at Monifieth Links, not as pretty conditions for photographs by the time i got there - but considerably warmer.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got out for 18 holes and played the comp. 33 points with 2 blobs was an okay result given the lack of stamina and fading towards the last few holes.
Had 5 birdie opportunities and was short on 4 and long on 1. But the point is to get there and make those opportunities.
Driver was good all day, Autoflex works for me, it gives distance but what it gives also is consistency- I know it cost a lot but I used up my eBay sales fund to cover it. My blobs were from using other clubs off the tee and poor decision on a second shot.
Putting was better than Thursday as I swapped out the light putter.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
usual suspects this morning they wanted to put a card in, but as i'm struggling to hit a a ball at the moment, i declined:cry: cold windy first thing.

i did agree to play from the back tee's for the first time, despite even the normal tee's being a shock to the system after playing a short course all winter.

remarkably pared the first with drive and 3 wood, then a couple of bogeys, had a few good up and downs out of bunkers on 6 and 7 got to the turn to fins i was only 3 over. slow dave had a barrage on 6 through to 11 with 5 straight birdes, before the wheels came of for him on 12,14,15 amd 16. found myself 2under gross for the back for 1 over 73:cry:, hit a couple of good shots on the back 9 with the irons.

the other 2 had poor scores, but at least they put a card in, but i doubt i would have played so well with one myself.

Slow Dave shot himself in the food, as he was expecting to get rid of one of his good scores and increase his handicap up from 2, silly boy shot 3 under:ROFLMAO:, so will prob go down

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Out tonight to try to sort out my (newish) hybrid and don't want to tempt fate but that went well.

Played the front nine on the 'Ludie then cut across and played the back nine on the Medal course which was much less busy - by the time I got on the Medal I was hitting the ball OK and discovered that I have a sneaky long low running draw I can play with the hybrid at times (hesitate to say on demand at this early stage) which will be handy if I can keep it in the arsenal.

patricks148 requested some pics of the Medal earlier in the year and now that my season ticket covers both courses here are some for him.

View attachment 35945
Walking off the 16th tee on Monifieth Medal course

View attachment 35946
16th green: Monifieth Medal course - got up and down from the bunker on the far left

View attachment 35947
17th green: Monifieth Medal course - from the 18th tee

View attachment 35949
18th green: Monifieth Medal course

Played the first couple when I'd played #18
View attachment 35948
Nice sky from behind 1st green of Monifieth Medal course

View attachment 35950
And an even nicer sky from the 2nd green

Course is in very decent condition, I enjoyed being out there, sunny and calm but there was a bit of chill in the air still - Out on the Ashludie early on Saturday, when weather is forecast to be exactly the same as tonight, and after tonight I'll see if I can get a full 18 in on the Medal one evening next week.

That looks gorgeous!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a round with my two mates, plus another member who randomly joined our group on the IG booking - was nice to play with another member though since we're new, and he was a decent chap.

Was almost 15° colder than Tuesday and windy as well. I think I struck the ball worse overall - got out of position too much and had to hit from some scrappy lies which didn't help. Short game and putting wasn't quite as bad as Tuesday though. End result was I was one shot worse than Tuesday with a 91 gross. Still not really fading it much off the tee for some reason - might have to get used to not aiming down the left every time. Six pars, two of them with reasonable birdie putts missed, but three blobs on the flip side of that.

Debating whether to enter first comp next Saturday. Not played off the whites here yet so would be a baptism of fire. But might as well get it out of the way while I'm still rusty really.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Too many double bogeys again wrecking the card, wind was swirling making things tricky. Front 9 was a real grind at 43 strokes but managed a 40 back to finish 2 over handicap (11 strokes under WHS). Very cold to start but thankfully the valley protected us from the wind.

Lowlight was a shanked wedge into the 5th, high light was reaching the par 5 16th in 2 and getting the birdie.

Attachments

• F3E8CA04-EE92-47EE-BC80-8BBED28AEB16.jpeg
    F3E8CA04-EE92-47EE-BC80-8BBED28AEB16.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
  • D8D1FB7D-2106-486F-A472-74BAD12C7D95.jpeg
    D8D1FB7D-2106-486F-A472-74BAD12C7D95.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 703171E1-7E44-4BAE-8443-480187FF23F4.jpeg
    703171E1-7E44-4BAE-8443-480187FF23F4.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 18

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting game today. Started really well, +3 through 6 holes. Then played the next 3 in +8......talk about throwing shots away!

Got back together and played the first 7 holes of the back 9 in +3, then two doubles to finish.

Forgetting the bad holes I was striking the ball really well. I think I had the most birdie putts I’ve ever had in a round.

D

Deleted member 17920

Too many double bogeys again wrecking the card, wind was swirling making things tricky. Front 9 was a real grind at 43 strokes but managed a 40 back to finish 2 over handicap (11 strokes under WHS). Very cold to start but thankfully the valley protected us from the wind.

Lowlight was a shanked wedge into the 5th, high light was reaching the par 5 16th in 2 and getting the birdie.
Hindhead does look a stunning course ?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First round since the course reopened, front 9 pretty decent despite everything being a bit left.

Driver pretty solid, chipping good, putter was atrocious. Back stiffened up on the back 9 but generally happy that my game isn’t to far away.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
4 BBB comp off the whites. Out in 23 with my ball being 2 under with birdies on 8 and for the first time off the whites in comps the 9th.
20 min stop at halfway house, 10th is a par 3 and we both blobbed and then again at 12, disaster. Ended up with 39 points and 34 for myself. Very happy with F9 and not to despondent with B9 ??

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My pal & his partner haven't played since December and not being members were struggling, so a pleasure to have them drive over and to host were I play. We played the chairman format which was fun and seemed to bring some better golf out of me. Not comp ready yet but followed up the good driving from yesterday with a few decent approaches and some putts, which led to two birdies. Surprisingly the legs/body seemed to not feel it too much either ?