I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Too many double bogeys again wrecking the card, wind was swirling making things tricky. Front 9 was a real grind at 43 strokes but managed a 40 back to finish 2 over handicap (11 strokes under WHS). Very cold to start but thankfully the valley protected us from the wind.

Lowlight was a shanked wedge into the 5th, high light was reaching the par 5 16th in 2 and getting the birdie.
Looks lovely, nice pics

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played allerton. 31 pts. Left so much out there. Now to the real story;

11.19 tee
12.10 actually tee off, because of the hold ups
5.15 finish

This is for a course just over 5000 yards.

I’m sure I’ve said it before, but never again!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday ... probably my best driving day ever ... all long (for me, that is) and straight. Sadly the putting was again really crap, so it evened out. 36 points. Decided I need putting lessons ... if I could just halve the crap putts, it would have a significant effect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the first medal of the year yesterday, big debate about doing it due to conditions and new clubs in the bag.

I shot just about every shot in the book both bad a good.

24 over par worst hole being a 9 one unplayable lie, failure to even get the dropped ball back in to play properly and two shanks around the green.

Mind you looking at the results last night I reckon loads of players had a nightmare day - lots of nett 80+s and the best score was only net par.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Unbelievable round of golf, front 9 was as if I was still asleep, it was a 7:30 tee but c’mon! Back 9 I woke up.

Front 9 in 48, back 9 in 38. Was level par for the back 9 stood on the 17th tee and finished bogey-double bogey after blading a simple chip through the back of 18.

Quadruple bogeyed the 7th. Tut!

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First medal of 2021 today. Equally difficult into the howling westerly on the way out and downwind on the back 9. Hard to stand still to putt. Not surprisingly this won't be one of my best 8. Since the 20th score falling off is my best one by a long way I think my index will go up by 0.5. Would have been RO for sure in old money. Hey ho - at least it wasn't raining :rolleyes:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i went out at 10 with slow day as he wanted to get a card again, i don't usually play on a sunday at Nairn is its the slowest day by far. was all 2 balls, but it was windy, very. both of us have tour bags on Elec trolleys and both spent more time on their sides than upright. first was driver 3 wood and 9 iron to get on the green, 2nd was the same all good shots. we got to the 3rd green only to see two groups on the tee, one on the 4th green and another waiting on the 5th tee. ... no thanks in that wind. we cut across to the 16th as there was a gap. it was so windy dave stuck his drive off 16 in one of the front greenside bunkers!!!
had to hit 5 iron to make sure we didn't go in the burn at 17.
glad we cut short wouldn't have beem fun today.
took Rups for a walk then settled down to watch the Vikings on TV

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
3rd game today since it all opened up and a non qualifying comp. Felt much fitter having played before but dissapointed with 29 points. Hit a few good drives but chunked 4 or 5 irons, something I rarely do and odd mistakes on a below par course at the moment left me dissapointed

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Beautiful day on the heath playing with Wookie and our mate Lee. Course getting lovely and firm, with smooth quick greens.

Played average for first 13, and then suddenly a golfer appeared in me. Last five in one under for a gross 75, 41 points. Played the five par threes in 2 under gross. Biggest improvement was my putting.

Used my daughters cut down Ping Sedona, but biggest difference was using a line on the ball. Realise for years I have been aiming way right. ? Standing over the ball it felt I was aiming left, but once I trusted myself the putts started dropping. Actually looked forward to putting for the first time in years. ?

bwstokie

Visit site
Impromptu 2 hour pass from HID 4pm-6pm, enough to get to the course and play a steady and relaxing 9 holes. And what a 9 holes - undoubtedly the best ball striking and putting display since my return to golf 18 months ago. I’ve decided I need to slow down a bit, give each shot an equal amount of consideration and see the shot and try and execute it.

Course was deserted and it was a thoroughly enjoyable hour and a half. 20 points, +2 gross, off a 10 HI. Sometimes it just clicks and you wish you could just bottle it up. Finished off with a towering 5 iron to 5 feet and rolled in the birdie putt.

Played on Thursday with a pal and could feel it coming back after the hiatus. Ropey 7 or 8 holes and then it started to come back, finding the fairway, flushing the irons and taking the putter squarely back and through. Really excited about this season now and hopefully it’s the year I get down and stay in the single figures region ??????

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Impromptu 2 hour pass from HID 4pm-6pm, enough to get to the course and play a steady and relaxing 9 holes. And what a 9 holes - undoubtedly the best ball striking and putting display since my return to golf 18 months ago. I’ve decided I need to slow down a bit, give each shot an equal amount of consideration and see the shot and try and execute it.

Course was deserted and it was a thoroughly enjoyable hour and a half. 20 points, +2 gross, off a 10 HI. Sometimes it just clicks and you wish you could just bottle it up. Finished off with a towering 5 iron to 5 feet and rolled in the birdie putt.

Played on Thursday with a pal and could feel it coming back after the hiatus. Ropey 7 or 8 holes and then it started to come back, finding the fairway, flushing the irons and taking the putter squarely back and through. Really excited about this season now and hopefully it’s the year I get down and stay in the single figures region ??????

'Hi dear - I'm shooting the lights out of the course, I'm just going to play the full 18 - see you at half past 7' :cool:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Another windy day here making conditions difficult. Unusual wind direction too, meaning most holes had a cross wind that felt like it was hurting.

I actually struck the ball reasonably well but missed in some poor places resulting in some really poor lies.

The greens were worse than Thursday, and the holes were in the same places making putting very difficult. 40 putts including 6 3 putts didn't help my scoring.
Niether did a 9 on a par 4, a tripple and two doubles.

Stupid game.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Thurs & Fri, having not swung a club in 2wks due to work and DIY I needed to get done.

Thursday was ok to start with, +4 on the front and quite happy with how I was playing, the wheels fell off on the back, but happy to be out. Friday was totally different, +10 after 5 holes, including a quad on 2 when I lost a ball into a tree! Had a tantrum after a triple on 5, then thought back to what I have been working on over lockdown, and my game came back, +4 for the remaining 13 holes, including a double after a bad bunker shot, and three-putt bogies on 16 & 18...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well, it was cold and blowing a houlie this morning, me, @Imurg and CVG teed off at 8:52
Played quite solidly and after 9 I had 18, Himself had 14 and CVG went home

After 11 it was all square at 18 each after 2 blobs, I then scored 17 off the remaining 7 holes to his 8 to emerge the victor by 35-26 with 3 blobs, so could have been much better

The new WHS system has given me an obscenely embarrassing handicap, the good thing being that if I can continue to play like this and cut out the blobs, then the handicap should tumble ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Headed out for my first full 18 on Monifieth Medal since my season ticket for both courses went live on April 1st, though I did play the back nine in dead still conditions the other night.

This afternoon was very different - although it was beautiful sunshine there was a constant 40mph (gusting well above that) bitingly cold wind blowing from North, North, West - so basically straight across left to right for the first six holes which have out of bounds and the main railway line from London to Aberdeen on the right. Amazingly I managed to avoid my occasional push on any of those holes, managed to hit it up the left and let the wind bring it back.

Nobody booked in front of me and just a young low handicap lad straight behind me - let him through at the fifth as I had a real camera (well my wee Fuji that i use on holiday) with me and wanted to take some pics - nobody else for a good half an hour behind us.

It was an adventure out there - aiming right or left of fairways and greens and watching the wind bring it back. Very much the sort of day when if it starts going wrong you could end up losing your swing. I hit the ball well (for me) today and loved playing the full 18 on the Medal for probably the first time in five or six years, scored 45 out and 44 back which is OK for me, could have been better but given the wind could have been much worse.

My hands were getting very cold by the time I walked off the ninth green and I considered just going up 16, 17 and 18 as there looked like there could be rain in the direction the wind was coming from but decided to carry on as holes 10 to15 are largely sheltered from the wind (at least at ground level) - the wind was still affecting the ball though as I discovered at the 13th when my wedge approach dived left into a greenside bunker I'm sure wasn't there five years ago - led to me playing a shot while on my knees for I think the first time ever - successfully too (well I got the ball out pin high - missed the putt).

Had to have a look in the hole at the back of the green to check as I walked across the par three 14th (which was right into the sun) but then spotted my ball in the rough at the back of the green - was right on line, and I'd had the thought of 'do I want this to be in the hole when I'm on my own' as I walked off the tee.

Then had an exciting time on the 15th - was just about to putt from the back of the green when I noticed that the background had gone completely white - just managed to get my rain jacket on and we had a cracking hailstorm which must have lasted less than a couple of minutes, thankfully it wasn't rain and even more thankfully it was brief.

Rest of the holes were uneventful - steady golf, wind dropped somewhat after the storm and as I walked off the course I had a look at the forecast on my phone - 17-26mph forecast for rest of evening - will be nice out there.

Here's some snapshots of the Medal - not the best lighting conditions for photos.

DSCF5918.jpg
Par three - 5th green

DSCF5921.jpg
Walking off the 7th tee

DSCF5925.jpg
Par five 9th

DSCF5926.jpg
Par three 11th looking back towards the tee

DSCF5932.jpg
12th hole from the left rough - you can see a haze in the background which is dust from ploughed fields blowing across Panmure (which is the other side of those trees)

DSCF5936.jpg
13th hole from left rough

DSCF5939.jpg
14th green

DSCF5940.jpg
15th green - hailstorm

DSCF5941.jpg
15th green - a minute later

DSCF5943.jpg
15th green another couple of minutes later

Last edited: