I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
9 holes this morning, 21 points with 2 blobs caused by lost balls. Wayward with the driver and irons weren't great, but was hitting my 5 hybrid better than I ever have. Short game decent as well, all that practicing in the garden during lockdown has paid off!

My 3rd x 9 holes in 3 days, it's great to be back playing.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My distances are way off what I was hitting the ball last year, about 10% shorter. I think its just down to strike being inconsistent. Maybe something to do with the shoulder dislocation in Feb?
I usually struggle the most on our back 9 but I've switched, struggling with the front 9 now and the back 9 has been better both today and Wednesday.
1 decent drive on the 3rd, the rest were rubbish, Irons didn't turn up to the party but short game and putting saved me from a terrible score.
Mediocre all the way round and then birdied 18 totaling 33 points with 2 blobs.
Better than Wednesday but way off my potential

D

Deleted member 25172

27 holes today ?

Last 9 was painful. Best score of 22, but painfully slow. Caught a 2ball on the 2nd (of shore), having seen them tee off the first when I was on 7th of Himalayas loop

2hrs 20 for 18. 2hrs 10 for 9 ?

Still 60 points all in!

Avg. 20 points per 9. Someone’s in for a cut when the comps start again... Well played!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve now played 3 x 9’s over the last 3 days, got a matchplay mini league on the go between 4 of us who are rotating playing each other 3 times each. 1st round didn’t count, which was disappointing as I won, but I’ve still won another one plus halved the other yesterday, so sitting 2nd on 4 points waiting to pounce to win the pot.

Off to Woodhall to play the Hotchkin this morning, 18 holes, that’s going to test me as I’ve felt tight with a few hamstring twinges and sore feet after a 60 day lay-off, but I’ll grin & bare it ???‍♂️

5OTT

Visit site
Played my fist 18 holes today, I did play 12 holes on Thursday.

Very happy to shoot 40 points playing of 15HCP, gross 81 on a par 70.

Actually played to a game plan and only used by driver twice all round, also clubbed down on several holes to leave myself short of trouble rather than going for the green.

Could have been even better if it wasnt for a couple of lip outs.

Roll on tomorrow to see if it was a fluke.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Back to it today. Bit nippy first thing but OMG the course was looking an absolute picture. As I thought, the green staff had given us a cut of rough from the fairway edge, in which the ball sits down and then the long stuff. To be honest the framing of each hole with the long grass isn't far off where it would be in normal circumstances but they have been sensible and given us a wider margin of semi. To be honest if you do find the long stuff which as I found on my opening drive is a lost ball a lot of the time, then it is far enough offline that you get what you deserve. Greens are a bit slow with a touch of poana in some of them but given everything I am so impressed with the way the club are marshalling, what the green staff have done and how well 99% of the members are acting.

13 points and only one lost ball which was a duck hook off the 10th (my first). Played matchplay off level with my partner and won 1 up although we hardly took it seriously. Some good, some crap but a few good putts and nailed a couple out of the middle. Distance way down with the driver and as a short hitter not what I need. Was using a premium (Chrome Soft) ball so may try an AD333 tour tomorrow. The Odyssey milled #9 behaved but going to give the Anser a roll tomorrow

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Another 18 and course just about perfect. Weather was lovely and much warmer than Thursday. All the bunkers have now been cleaned up. Greens were definitelyquicker than before. Am I the only one that struggles to putt from short range with the flag in ? The hole looks smaller to me !

Managed to beat my mate Lee 2 and 1, though scoring not as good as before. Hit some cracking drives, and just about every time missed the green with an iron.

Round in just over 3 hours and didn’t have to wait on a single shot. Really like this form of golf.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Great day at Woodhall Spa on the Hotchkin today, I won my match against a solid player 4&3, who had won the Hotchkin Bowl last year.

I returned a nett 75 (73), a bit of scrambling on the front, more so when I found a couple of bunkers and scooped 1 drive, but still turned 2-up.

I then had the best back 9 I’ve ever had there, nailing my drives and creaming my strong 3w to be on the green in 2 on 13 for a solid par, then again on 14 against the wind to be eagle putting, but came away with the birdie, then birdied 15 to win the match ?

Great to play 18, was really pleased with my round, a couple of silly holes & mistakes here & there, but I’m always going to have those, but overall, a very solid performance ??‍♂️

I think playing a course that’s slope indexed at 149 and my home course is 139, and win comfortably in Matchplay, off scratch, and well within buffer for handicap, when in the future with WHS I’d have a fistful of shots, clearly shows where my game is, or potentially is, I cant wait for the competition season to start ? ??‍♂️

Big match tomorrow in my mini-league, looking for another scalp ?

Oh, and I have a bet with Homer, remind me what that is again ? I might offer him a cash out if he wants to save his blushes ?47E552E9-F6C0-431A-A970-FB2A2EA89E36.gif

Visit site
1st round back today +2, played like the latter years of Seve. But putted like a demon and not touched my putter since last time I played.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Absolute Tom kite today, can’t believe how different I can play, or not was the case, in just over 24hrs!

Lost today’s matchplay 3&1, I started well and we were still all square on the 5th, but those feel shots, that are difficult to practice with no practice areas available, cost me today, and were the difference.

Still in 2nd place, but he was there for the taking today, but I just had a mare at times, so it’s payback on Tuesday in the next round!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolute Tom kite today, can’t believe how different I can play, or not was the case, in just over 24hrs!

Lost today’s matchplay 3&1, I started well and we were still all square on the 5th, but those feel shots, that are difficult to practice with no practice areas available, cost me today, and were the difference.

Still in 2nd place, but he was there for the taking today, but I just had a mare at times, so it’s payback on Tuesday in the next round!
What was the bet again. Still YOTF?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Had an enjoyable round at the Cotswold/Chipping Norton club. Actually felt like a golfer for the majority of the round, encouraging.