I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
I arrived for my tee time this morning just in time to be told the comp was cancelled. Was going to brave the weather if it was still on but that made the decision easier to just scratch.

Went into the clubhouse instead, had some breakfast, watched some of the golf on tv. Had a chat with @Lord Tyrion who told me about the water on some greens so was glad I didn’t venture out in it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Following a poor weekend of Club Champs golf two weeks ago I’ve not picked up a club until today -September Saturday Medal. Front 9 saw 2 bogeys and 7 pars…tidy but not too unusual for me. Tougher back 9 saw 4 bogeys, 4 birdies (one a 2 so ££s) and a par (lagged a 6ft birdie putt on last a few inches short 🙄).

Looks like my 2 over gross will win the gross (most lowest guys we’re playing an inter-club match) and my 7 under handicap will win me the nett - and probably a 0.95 cut in my HI.

So not only will my HI likely be cut to lowest ever under WHS, but it was my lowest ever club comp round in near 20yrs at my club - and that follows my 2 over gross a few weeks ago in the pre-H4H knock at my place that was my lowest ever off back tees at any club or course I’ve played. And there I go and equal it just three weeks later - and this time with a WHS qualifying card in hand,

Happy and curious days. And it was a glorious sunny and warm one at that.

Chuffed…? Just a bit 🕺

EDT…Yay…7.6 this morning - so that’s my handicap back to 8 (home CH) for 1st time since joining my club 20yrs ago.😍 And in that time I’ve drifted up to 13.🙄

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a 4BBB open at Withing ton yesterday, we played pretty well but we weren't in the prizes, however two things stood out, firstly the grass on the fairways was so long sometimes you couldn't tell were the fairway ended and the rough began, which was a problem as lift clean and place was in force. Secondly, the round took 5 hours.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Well, here's a thing. Stableford at Westerham, out in 42, 1 over handicap, 17 points. I normally play the back nine worse.
37 and 22 points! One bogey and 8 pars! Looks like 39 points is getting me 2nd place, but a nice cut coming for sure. Already at my lowest ever, so about to go lower! An 84 likely dropping off!
Really rather happy today.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, here's a thing. Stableford at Westerham, out in 42, 1 over handicap, 17 points. I normally play the back nine worse.
37 and 22 points! One bogey and 8 pars! Looks like 39 points is getting me 2nd place, but a nice cut coming for sure. Already at my lowest ever, so about to go lower! An 84 likely dropping off!
Really rather happy today.
Gonna auction off the card..? :unsure: ;)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in the Sunday morning roll-up this morning and got drawn with a minor celebrity, Theo. Have a look at the recent Rick Shiels video on first golfer to make a birdie. It was fascinating to hear how he got chosen to be on the video and what the day was like. Although he’s not a member of our club he occasionally joins us on a Sunday when visiting his cousin who is.

My golf today - so so.

D

Deleted member 25172

Played in the Sunday morning roll-up this morning and got drawn with a minor celebrity, Theo. Have a look at the recent Rick Shiels video on first golfer to make a birdie. It was fascinating to hear how he got chosen to be on the video and what the day was like. Although he’s not a member of our club he occasionally joins us on a Sunday when visiting his cousin who is.

My golf today - so so.
Sure I’m not the only one who’d like to know more about that, so please do fill us in, even if it’s just passing it on from what you heard!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played this morning. One of those rounds where I felt I played pretty solid but hardly any putts dropped. Parred the first then steady bogeys until I doubled the 7th & 8th. 15 points out. Back nine was a little better with only one more double, and had a clutch finish with three pars on 16-17-18 to finish on 83, 36 points.

Plenty of positives - although I didn't hole much my putting was great, no three-putts and I can't remember the last time I was able to say that on my course. Bunker play has been horrendous this year but today I went in four and got out of all of them first time and on the green. Chipping was very good as well, got up and down a few times. Personal highlight was nearly hitting my mate when I punched a five wood straight into a tree and it shot towards him, he had his wits about him and leapt over it to avoid a rap on the shins. 🤣

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sure I’m not the only one who’d like to know more about that, so please do fill us in, even if it’s just passing it on from what you heard!
The opportunity came up via, presumably, Rick Shiel’s Facebook page asking for 12 to 15 handicappers to be involved in a video in Manchester. There were several hundred applicants, but he got in quickly. He was then asked to submit a video of himself and got the call up.

On the day they reallly had no idea what was in store. It was quite nerve racking with seven or eight cameras filming. In the end it was actually the 11th hole played on which he got the birdie - they didn’t show them all in the video. On the final hole he remembers hitting the drive, but after that his mind was blank on exactly what happened and his only recollection is what he’s seen on the video.

It was around five weeks before the video was released and he didn’t even tell his family until he could show it to them.

Theo then won the roll up this morning 😂

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played Foxhills with @Oddsocks and a non forumer.

Apart from the rain it was an enjoyable way to spend my last day as a single bloke

I reckon that ball and chain has taken at least 30 yards off your driver!!!!

Apparently it rained, then it rained…. Oh and it rained again.

A great day with plenty of laughs which is what golf is about.

D

Deleted member 25172

The opportunity came up via, presumably, Rick Shiel’s Facebook page asking for 12 to 15 handicappers to be involved in a video in Manchester. There were several hundred applicants, but he got in quickly. He was then asked to submit a video of himself and got the call up.

On the day they reallly had no idea what was in store. It was quite nerve racking with seven or eight cameras filming. In the end it was actually the 11th hole played on which he got the birdie - they didn’t show them all in the video. On the final hole he remembers hitting the drive, but after that his mind was blank on exactly what happened and his only recollection is what he’s seen on the video.

It was around five weeks before the video was released and he didn’t even tell his family until he could show it to them.

Would he have to pay any taxes on the win, do you know?

Cool thing nonetheless!

HeftyHacker

Visit site

1000084448.jpg

This was the original posting asking for players. My brother in law actually plays with Sam (the lead editor) who made the original post so I was going to apply and hope he could pull some strings but obviously I completely forgot and missed the deadline 😂.

Mind you with the way I'm playing they could have played 1100 holes and I still wouldn't have made a birdie.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played yesterday at Droitwich Golf Club with a few friends.

Absolute cracker of a parkland course, very unique holes, really good greens, easily the best I've played on in the area (Maybe on par with Worcester Golf and Country Club - been a while though)

If I could have putted, I'd have had a very good score, but happy with a gross 84 and 37 points with zero blobs around a new track.

Had a little pairs match on the side too and won that 3&2 - so a very good day out!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just been away on our annual boys trip, two rounds at Thracian Cliffs and two at the Lighthouse Resort. Thracian was stunning in terms of views, but a beast to play. No room for error, lots of long carries with tight fairways and very big slow greens. Enjoyed playing it, didn't play badly but didn't score particlarly well. Lighthouse is OK for a hotel resort, but also had super slow greens which we just couldn't get to grips with. Worth a visit with an all inclusive deal, but not rushing back.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Made my debut for our club's senior team. I delayed this as long as I could!
But the chance to play a course that I had not played before tempted me.
Radcliffe-on-Trent. Very pleasant place.
16-a-side betterball matchplay. I had not played with my partner before.
Partner gets 12 shots from me and opponents 12 and 13.
Had to play through some windy showers on the back nine, but coped reasonably well.
We won 2&1 and the match was 4-4 draw.
32 players and we had nearest the pin on the par-3 17th and nearest the pin in two on the par-4 18th. I won both.
Took only the 17th-hole prize and 18th went to second nearest. There was only one group behind us and none of them threatened 18th hole in two.
So came home with a bottle of Australian Cab Sav, which amused Mrs V, and 3 Callaway balls.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Senior medal, I've been playing okay so was hoping for a decent score and a cut but arrived to find that heavy overnight rain had rendered the bunkers unplayable and they were hence GUR and comp now a non qualifier.
Played okay for nett 2 under par, 3 or 4 under handicap. :(

I only went in one bunker too and wanted to play as it lay but PPs were unsure if I could (and I couldn't be bothered to argue) so I dropped out and proceeded to duff it back in! So the bunkers as GUR actually cost me a shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another day off, another round of golf. Drove up to Aylesbury Vale to play with my uncle, dad and cousin.

Played well on the front nine despite horrendous weather, the highlight being a birdie on the 175 yard 8th, and had 20 points at half way.

Back nine the wind got up a lot more, but at least the rain eased off eventually. Stupid blob on the 13th cost me a good score, but ended up with 17 points on the back for 37 (87 gross). I missed a few putts I should have holed, but in fairness the greens were incredibly inconsistent after recent work had been done - some were slow, some were quick, some were covered in sand, some weren't - so it felt like a guessing game. Unfortunately my dad and I lost the betterball match 2&1 as well, so we've lost two in a row against them now.

I've been playing well since about mid-August with most rounds in the 34-38 point region, but it's been frustrating that there are always stupid shots and holes given away which have prevented me from scoring lower.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Another day off, another round of golf. Drove up to Aylesbury Vale to play with my uncle, dad and cousin.

Played well on the front nine despite horrendous weather, the highlight being a birdie on the 175 yard 8th, and had 20 points at half way.

Back nine the wind got up a lot more, but at least the rain eased off eventually. Stupid blob on the 13th cost me a good score, but ended up with 17 points on the back for 37 (87 gross). I missed a few putts I should have holed, but in fairness the greens were incredibly inconsistent after recent work had been done - some were slow, some were quick, some were covered in sand, some weren't - so it felt like a guessing game. Unfortunately my dad and I lost the betterball match 2&1 as well, so we've lost two in a row against them now.

I've been playing well since about mid-August with most rounds in the 34-38 point region, but it's been frustrating that there are always stupid shots and holes given away which have prevented me from scoring lower.
That's right by me, if I hadn't joined LB I probably would have joined there.