I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Gross 75 off 20 :ROFLMAO: Surely he's played before?

If not - he's going to be a serious player with added practice!
I think he and his brother have been playing at the club for a couple of years but have just got their handicaps. His brother scored 81 and was really disappointed as he says he plays better than that. And given the way he struck the ball I would agree with that. I think it was the pressure of playing for his card with two older members. He was a really nice lad so if his brother is the same, it may just be that it was "on the day".

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at my old place with the wife who is still a member there, so now we have a choice of four courses to play LOL, anyhoo. This was only her third outing of the season. The last time a couple of weeks ago I suggested she has her left shoulder slightly higher than the right, as that how the golf stance should be. She normally has her shoulders parallel to the ground. This meant a few odd shots as she tried to implement this, but was getting the hang of it towards the end. Today. Christ alive! We had big smiles all round the course. The ball goes up in the air off EVERY tee shots and therefore further, an extra 10 meters at least, and this without much roll. Three or four times she was on the green for two on par fours. Only converted two for pars, but other two were simple fives. If it wasn't for the two melt down holes she would have broken 100 easilly, for the first time. Finished with a 109. And this with some clouts through greens with it at her mercy and stupid three putts on loads of holes. Me meanwhile shot over 90 lord knows how. Drove the ball really well.
Anyone want a lesson? I know how, just can't do it meself. :rolleyes:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Had a lesson with the boy and tweaked my takeaway. Suddenly my low duck hook has gone and am hitting high and long again…. Happy days

Played the Balcomie Links course at Crail today on a reciprocal. Cracking little track, although a little dangerous over the mid hole section - I see what you mean Patrick 😉.

Given the swing change, started well, had a little blow out over 4&5 but picked up again and played 13-18 level gross. Drove the par4 15th into wind and nearly drove the 17th with the wind. Enjoyed it over all and will go back.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
4BBB knockout today I was giving a lot of shots, between 13 and 19, my partner was'nt on the best of form but fortunately I played the best I have so far this season. It was a close run thing, our opponents dovetailed very well and we found ourselves 2 down with 3 to play, I won the 16th with a par, and then the 17th was a bit of a mess I ended up winning it with a double bogey, I gave a shot to all the other 3, All square going ot the last and both myself and one of the opponents but out tee shots on the green, she wasnt gettign a shot and although I hit my putt 6 feet past, she left hers 5 feet short, I holed and she missed for a surprise victory by one hole

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seniors Champs today.
Oh boy that was hard work.
The green speed was, approximately, Warp Factor 9....
To be honest I lost all confidence on the first green.
4 foot uphill par putt..missed by a whisker, went 8 inches past, stopped and then rolled back into the hole
Similarly on the 5th, except this time, when it rolled back, it missed the hole and carried on for another 4 feet.....
Frighteningly quick and yet some others were normal pace.....
Nett 77 isn't going to win any prizes...I don't think....but...there are some big numbers coming in.
Currently 2nd gross...a 3 index shot 83......if PCC doesn't kick in today then I'm giving up competitions.....
Very tough day at the office..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors Champs today.
4 foot uphill par putt..missed by a whisker, went 8 inches past, stopped and then rolled back into the hole
Similarly on the 5th, except this time, when it rolled back, it missed the hole and carried on for another 4 feet.....
Nett 77 isn't going to win any prizes...I don't think....but...there are some big numbers coming in.
Currently 2nd gross...a 3 index shot 83......if PCC doesn't kick in today then I'm giving up competitions.....
I remember that hole, when we played it I sent a dainty little pitch onto the front edge with my third shot - which rolled off the back. In November. Is it even legal to have a pin position that does there or is there just no choice at your place?? Possibly the only place I've played where the greens were sillier than ours. 😄

D

Deleted member 15344

Seniors Champs today.

Looking forward to seeing if they are that quick tomorrow in the club match 🤙

Imurg

Visit site
I remember that hole, when we played it I sent a dainty little pitch onto the front edge with my third shot - which rolled off the back. In November. Is it even legal to have a pin position that does there or is there just no choice at your place?? Possibly the only place I've played where the greens were sillier than ours. 😄
That pin position is used fairly commonly...it's just the speed of the greens.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At Wynyard at a golf day organised by a local travel agent. Course was fantastic, fastest greens I can remember having played on. Lots of bunkers, found plenty of them!

Played well, lovely weather, great company and decent food before and after. Pretty much a perfect day, even better with it all being gratis.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Beautiful day on the links with a nice 2 club westerly, which we havnt had too often since the season started. Again hit it really well, 3 birdies 3 bogey s for a nice level score and the win for my partner and I. Playing a senior open at Fortrose tomorrow and then a 3 day comp at Dornoch.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
First round of Seniors Scratch Stableford at Wallasey and stood on 17th tee level par , you know the rest. Lost ball for blob, then had a whiff in the rough and missed the bogey putt on 18. Lying 7th in the nett just 2 off the lead so all to play for tomorrow.
Being a 2 ball in bunch of 3's not great and then add a 5 hour round into the mix maybe not surpring ran out of steam .
Course in fantastic condition

HeftyHacker

Visit site
First time out properly since my lesson on Friday. Thankfully what I'd been taken through seems to have stuck (backswing on my irons) and I was hitting my irons better than I have all year really. From 150 yards hitting a 9 iron with a much higher ball flight into greens where I was previously hitting a low flighted 7 iron made a massive difference as I was actually stopping them on the greens. It also means I've been able to close the gap I had between my irons and driver as I'm hitting them probably 1 and half clubs further.

Unfortunately my driver went to rats and hasn't been great for a while now so that will be my next work on for the next lesson.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seniors singles KO 3rd round match. Beautiful late afternoon early evening and course coming into great condition, really playing lovely though first cut rough is dense, and just beyond is pretty ‘keep out’ grim.

Giving 10 shots raced to a 4up lead after 7; opponent picked up his game so that playing 17 I was dormie two up - and was only 3 over. Made a total pigs ear of 17 and then tried to chuck it away on 18 but held on. A win’s a win and for 16 holes I played really well - including two 2s, one from 6” on our 175yd 6th…as close to a hole-in-one I think I’ve ever had.

Anyway…gives me a bit of hope for my scratch match tomorrow against our +2 club champ. Who knows. Matchplay golf eh!

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Midweek sweep yesterday and I played quite well, excellent on the front 9 and struggled on the back 9. Turned in 36 (+1) but came back in 40 (+5) for a 76 with a differential of 4.0. That round will cover off the 76 that comes off next time I'm out at least.

Greens are getting better, course is drying out a touch but still a bit wet in places so mud balls off the fairway still. First green I holed a 15 footer for par after some tree trouble but I actually stubbed the putter into the ground as I made contact with the ball but it still went in with speed. That kinda frightened me a bit and I was short on everything up until the 8th were out of nowhere I rammed it 8 foot past and missed the one coming back. Just seemed like some greens were running a fair bit quicker than others but considering how wet they were a few weeks ago I'm happy with the condition of them now.

Overall my game is in a decent place for this time of the season, 5 of my last 7 rounds have all been between 76-78 so hopefully when the course finally dries out and we get a bit of run I can turn some of those into 74's and 75's.

Imurg

Visit site
Played early with a mate....barely anyone else at the course....even when we finished
Started on the 10th, very steady, 3 bogeys to turn with 39 shots
2nd 9....2 birdies, 2 bogeys...level par
3 over par, 74 and a 3.3 score diff that should cut me to 6.7....
Just the 12 shots better than yesterday with the pins in the same place, greens cut and rolled too.
Played off the yellows but the CR is only 1.1 lower....
Stupid game.....

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Senior Open today at St Mellons, near Cardiff. A lesser known Harry Colt.

Really pleasant course, good variety of holes, bit fiddly in places but very tough greens.

13 points out, was a worry, managed 18 home for a thankfully unembarrassing 31.

Definitely worth a knock if you are this way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off today, my mate's birthday so three of us playing at Shendish Manor, which is near where he lives now. Decided I was going to have a bit of an experimental round with a slight grip change, plus attempting the claw grip on putting as well.

Well the claw grip was bloody awful. How does anyone putt like that?? Couldn't get pace or line right with it, at all. After 11 putts over the first four holes I sacked that right off.

The normal grip change was much more successful. Just turning my right hand round the grip slightly to the left, making it a little more neutral and not having that hand almost completely under the shaft like before. I seemed to hit irons much straighter, and it didn't have the detrimental effect on my driving that I thought it might have, only sliced one really all day. In the end I hit 44% of the greens in reg which is well up on my usual 17-21% that I seem to get, so well pleased.

Front nine was 13 points after the failed putting experiment early on, and making a mess of the very challenging 8th and 9th holes. Back nine however was very good - five pars four bogeys for 22 points, bringing me up to 35 for the day - enough to beat the birthday boy who managed 34. 85 gross for me. 39 putts. 😂

My favourite shot was into the final green - 18th is a left-to-right sweeping par 5, after two shots I still had 140 odd to go, but a bit blocked out my overhanging trees from the right. Couldn't go over them, so I hit a gripped down three-quarter hybrid which faded around the mid-level branches perfectly, and ran up to about 8 feet short of the pin. Left the putt short and took a par of course, but I just love it when you have think, plan out a shot and it actually works for once. 👍🏻

Oh, and it was nice to play in summer conditions and sit outside for the post game pints! First time in forever.

Last edited: