I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and on our 14th I hit a high, soaring and gently fading 7i into the heart of the green - and I did a little dance…what I did in the rest of the round is rather irrelevant.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
despite a good round Friday, Saturday's competition didn't go well, 22 points, hit the ball well but couldn't put or when I went in the bunker I couldn't get out. Today hit the ball well, 13 points front nine 20 back nine, a couple of silly mistakes cost me, but overall I'm satisfied that progress is being made.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
36 points in the monthly stableford after picking 21 on the front 9
I had two more points than that for 18 holes today!!!! Monthly stableford and started par, bogey par, bogey par for 11 points and then it all just went to rubbish! I just couldn't hit anything properly, a lot of shots went long, greens were firm finally but I just couldn't land and stick them. Weird heel shots, thins and an almost unmentionable thrown in for good measure.
Absolutely destroyed.
Then went to see the GM and rejoined for another year of torture!!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
medal comp this afternoon, I started ok but for twice 3 putting, but then on 5, 6 and 7 had three topped woods, 2 of which ended in penalty areas a few other camilties included taking 5 putts after hitting a par 4 green in 2 and i ended with another disaster 95 gross. Do I persevere and try to sort out my 3 wood or dump it and lose distance by using my 5, I have already gone down the go to see a coach path and kind of know what I am doing wrong, just cant seem to stop doing it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a basket of 48 balls; my 7i, and some ‘strike’ spray on the range. I have got to crack this mental thing I have with hitting 5,6 and7 irons.

Start on it with 7i today, and it was grand…not a single shot anything like some of the rubbish I produce on the course. But I am not fooled. More work required to make it normal.

Seniors Diamond Jubilee Trophy comp tomorrow morning. Will try and get onto range before my 8:30am tee time, just to hit a dozen balls - with my 7i…

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing the 18th I'm in the rough just off the fairway. I can see my ball sitting up. Gave it a good smack with me 3 wood that went a bit left. Then from the adjoining fairway came a bloke who said you've not just played my ball? I said no. And started to walk off. Then spotted my actual ball right up against a tree. 😱 He said no worries it was only one I'd found earlier. When I got to the one I'd hit, it was one I'd lost the previous day, and is marked very distinctively so no wonder I thought it was my original ball. Good job I didn't have a good round going.😁

Springveldt

Visit site
Played my knockout tie last night and had to sacrifice my normal Saturday game for it. To be honest, wish I hadn't. The fade I've had going with my driver turned into pulls and hooks and I started pulling all my irons. To top it off my putting was atrocious as well. Got hammered 5&4, was dormy 7 and I think he must have felt sorry for me as he played 2 terrible holes while I eventually found my swing to make the score slightly less embarrassing than it could have been.

To be fair, even although I was terrible my opponent played solid. He was off 8 and by my count he was only 2 over after 11 holes. Solid player, straight off the tee, good irons and putting and was never really in any trouble until the 12th hole.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An extremely average front t 9 followed by an even more extremely slow back 9....
Just one of those inconsistent days on the front, some good, not much ok, plenty poor...
Got to the turn and everything stopped....we waited nearly 20 minutes to tee off.
By then my joints were starting to complain...
After an hour we finished the 3rd hole and my joints were shouting..
After another hour we finished the 7th and they were screaming for mercy.
By the time we finished I was having serious trouble walking....
If the pace is slow from the outset then I'm OK
I struggle when we've had a clear front 9 and then run into a brick wall.
Glad it's not my only game of the week...I'd be seething.......

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seniors Diamond Jubilee Cup (stableford scoring) today. Very tidy 38pts from my 7 over gross. Isn’t going to win as I know of at least a 39 (dash that missed 4ftr on the last…🙄), but pleased. And might even get a nearest the pin on our par 3 13th…when actually hitting the green has been an achievement to celebrate of late. A proper shot to 2ft. If nothing else the round should see my HI drop by 0.1 or so.

ETA: Well 5th out of 45 with 40pts winning it...pretty decent effort if I say so myself, best gross if there is such a thing in today's comp. And got the nearest the pin I was hopeful for.

Tomorrow - Midweek Singles KO match.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Down in Devon for a bit, played Saunton West today, lovely course but it got the better of me!
Playing a short set; 2 and 5 laminated Slazenger Bobby Locke woods, 2, 4, 6, 8, PW and SW Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades and a David Low putter.

Started off with a mediocre drive but on the fairway, then shanked my second shot into the deep rough, half way up a cliff, ended up with a 7!
Played okay for the rest of the front nine apart from another shank on a par three that went OB!

On the back nine the wind, which had been what you'd expect on a links, picked up quite a bit and made for some tough holes back into it, add to that a couple of lost balls and it really messed up my score.
46 out, 54 back for a round 100. :eek: o_O

Still really enjoyed it though. :)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Things have gone seriously pear shaped of late. Sunday's score of 102 was beaten today with a 103. The wife meanwhile goes from strength to strength. A score of 105 does not show how far she hits off the tee. She's even just bumping balls into greens nice and safe like. Putting was a tad off. Quite a few three putts when on in two, or three. She will get there. As an alternate shot team we'd be tough to beat

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a matchplay comp today against one of our improving players, I gave her 9 shots, she hits longer than me and putts like a demon, I started well and par 4 of the first 7 holes (should have been 5 but for a 3 putt) and at that stage we were all square, then a couple of double bogie and I was 2 done at the turn, another couple of doubles and a 3 putt, and it was all over after 14 holes. She would have probably beaten me if we were playing off scratch.
Again very much 2 halves, 3 over after 7, then 11 over for the next 7, I kept my 3 wood in my bag today and didn't suffer too much for doing it

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a singles event this afternoon at Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin) organised by Mizuno pairs.

Only visited the bunkers on ten different holes! Fortunately, my bunker play wasn’t too bad. Rest of the round was mixed. The course was in good condition, but felt the greens were more like those you find on a links course.

Ended up with 27pts, which is much better than the 16pts that I scored on my one previous round here. Shout out for the roast beef bap I had before going out, which come with some roast potatoes and a pot of gravy. Lovely.

Visit site
Played Darlington GC on Sunday for the first time this year, what a test that place is! The slightest error punishes you heavily. It looks easy, flat as a pancake and not particularly long but my goodness, err off the tee or end up in one of the cavernous bunkers and you are stuffed! Shot 90, my worst score of 2023 so I'll return to put that right. I can thoroughly recommend this course if you are up in the North-East on holiday and having too nice a time! Cheap as chips as well after 3.30 every day.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played at Ladybank yesterday, or rather I walked but someone else played in my skin. Had the most extraordinary round, equalling my best ever round of 78 (shot last year at Lofoten Links). Three double bogies on the card but also three birdies and 8 pars got me round 7 over gross and into single figures for the first time.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out last night but had to use a buggy as my knee is playing up again.

I started unbelievably - birdie bogey birdie and then another 3 pars to get me to 1 under through 6 - comfortably the best I'd scored for that many holes.

Then it all unravelled a bit, a triple on 7 which was a tad unlucky as I lost a ball that never should have been lost, followed by a par and a bogey.

Closed the front 9 at 3 over gross and 21 points. Still pretty buzzing.

Back 9 was an unmitigated disaster. 4 blobs and didn't get near another par again until the 18th which, at 400 yards, was a beast into a 30mph wind.
Somehow ended up pin high after driver, hybrid and managed to get up and down for a very unexpected par

Finished on 29 points, and I shot 16 over on the back 9 alone 🤣.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a 4BBB at Mottram Hall this evening, I partnered a girl from Mottram against 2 blokes from Styal, it was a good close match and I felt that I did play better than I have been, sadly we lost 2&1 we had chances a couple of poor decisions by me and a couple of 3 shortish putts by my partner. The higher handicapper of the opponents who I was giving 8 shots play very well on several occassions he parred holes where he was getting a shot.