I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Decided to try and enjoy playing and stop obsessing about a score. Played better, though still didn’t score very well due to a few dafties along the way. But enjoyed my round due to improvements in striking irons. 2 over my CH easily remedied.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Club champs yesterday. Drove well and hit decent irons, but my putting, which is usually a decent part of my game, went and hid in a cupboard somewhere. The greens were pretty tough yesterday, some nasty pin placements, a fair few playing across slopes from every angle and running like glass, and the group in front must have put clingfilm over 4 or 5 of the holes…..??? ended with a net 80, which should have been better, but, not unhappy under the conditions. Missed the cut for today, but first go in the comp for three or four years, enjoyed the day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't play yesterday and this morning I had to play a friendly with the Sunday League team, so I told my mates we could play this afternoon from 1:30. Consequently had to play 90 minutes in the blazing sun this morning due to other injuries (even though I'm still injured myself) so came home absolutely shattered before showering and going straight out to the course.

Just a friendly knock off the yellows thankfully, and had low expectations from my round, but kicked off with 4 pars to start - starting on the 8th so that's both par 5s, a testing par 3 and the 11th which I've only parred about once in the last year. Had a couple of miscues on the 12th and made a double, followed by a bogey, but then parred the next 6 holes in a row! So that was 10 pars out of 12 holes somehow. I think sometimes when the expectations are low and you don't care that inadvertently creates the perfect golf mentality and you play well almost by accident. ?

Did get a bit tired inevitably and went bogey, double, double from 2nd-4th with some poor shots. But got back on the par train at the 5th & 6th. Finished with a tidy bogey for a round of 77, 41 points. It's my second best score ever, and the best I've managed at my home course, so well chuffed with that, and really wasn't expecting anything like it all things considered. I think 12 has to be the most pars I've ever made on a round, and hitting 10 greens in regulation absolutely has to be a new record for me.

Good signs! Now I just need to somehow harness and replicate that "whatever" attitude going forwards and I'll be onto a winner.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Was working until 4 yesterday afternoon but the wife suggested a walk around Cooden as it was a lovely evening. Teed off about 5 o'clock and finished around 7.30, just in time to pop down our favourite Bexhill restaurant for a lovely meal. It was beautiful out.. this photo was taken just prior to me rifling a 5 iron into our 185 yard 14th hole and making a very rare par.
IMG-20220807-WA0000.jpg

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had the morning off and decided to get out for a game. Tee’d off about 7.45 and despite getting stuck behind someone who made @chrisd look like a youth the front 9 was ok and got 17 points.
Back 9 was similar and despite ballsing up 11 after a 270 yard 3 wood that found the middle of the fairway I got another 17 points.
Putting was poo as i had 10 putts for birdie and only holed 2.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was working until 4 yesterday afternoon but the wife suggested a walk around Cooden as it was a lovely evening. Teed off about 5 o'clock and finished around 7.30, just in time to pop down our favourite Bexhill restaurant for a lovely meal. It was beautiful out.. this photo was taken just prior to me rifling a 5 iron into our 185 yard 14th hole and making a very rare par.
View attachment 43749
You almost look like a golfer

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Better day at the office today...but still some silly errors costing a shed load of shots.?
Started par, bogey but then went on a 4 par streak - all shot holes...
Then a double on another green with a , quite frankly, dirty pin position and 2 bogeys to finish..5 over..
Mixed bag on the back 9..2 birdies, 3 bogeys and a double but still only 3 over..
So a 79, 8 over and a small cut back to 7.
But at least half a dozen wasted shots....chips that I didn't hit hard enough so didn't make the green, a couple of dodgy drives and a couple of the obligatory bad bounces too....
There's a low one coming....I can feel it in me bones.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played yesterday evening. Played ok apart from a couple of holes without threatening a decent score. Tiredness due to the lingering effects of Covid caught up with me towards the end.

General ball striking is improving which is nice.

But, our greens have taken a turn for the worse. 2 weeks ago they were brilliant. They rolled nicely and were consistent. Yesterday every one was different. Some rock hard and like putting down a glass staircase, the others were soft and slower than a slow thing. Which made for difficult putting and anticipating what the ball would do when landing. I should really have been 3 or 4 shots lower. But isn’t that always the case.

I’ll take the positives from the 80 as that was the worst I could have scored.

Visit site
Over the last weekeI managed 8 rounds of golf. Firstly, won the presidents invitational with my guest at my club last weekend (me on the left).

We had 37pts in greensomes off 9, followed by 42pts in the better ball. ??

Then I played Trevose, St Enodoc, Saunton East and Burnham & Berrow. All in absolutely magnificent condition especially given how dry it is at the moment.

Burnham was going to enforce mats off the fairway and par 3 tees from Saturday. Lucky we played on Friday. They said the reservoir is low and they’re pumping water directly from the mains at huge cost (£200+ per day) in order to try to keep the watering going, but are protecting the course in anticipation of further drought.

With the exception of Trevose, those golf courses are seriously tough. I managed 88, 88 and 83 at the latter 3 respectively, off the whites… and I barely missed a fairway, and lost 1 ball. I couldn’t chip or putt, and couldn’t find courage to smash driver all over the park.

Course record off the backs at Burnham is 69, par 71 ?

Pics:
- 9th at Burnham & Berrow
- 16th at St Enodoc (my mate took a 10!)
- 18th at Saunton
- 1st at Burnham & Berrow

Attachments

• BD89F2DB-1951-4714-99A6-18BA34E02E6A.jpeg
    BD89F2DB-1951-4714-99A6-18BA34E02E6A.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 22
  • BA27A5B1-640A-4ED6-8EFE-A33606F29CE7.jpeg
    BA27A5B1-640A-4ED6-8EFE-A33606F29CE7.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 23
  • EFA271EF-615C-4DEE-8CE3-CFC10CAAD30E.jpeg
    EFA271EF-615C-4DEE-8CE3-CFC10CAAD30E.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 462FC843-526A-43FE-BB1C-3FA0E6CE18EB.jpeg
    462FC843-526A-43FE-BB1C-3FA0E6CE18EB.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 15
  • C420D707-4997-43B3-9BD1-BBF672924D6F.jpeg
    C420D707-4997-43B3-9BD1-BBF672924D6F.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 14

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
View attachment 43749

Bit of a plain Jane shirt in’t it Rob……?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played Lindrick in a mixed on Sunday. What an amazing course. Stunning design. Impossible flat greens that were not flat, how do they do that? And fast? You betcha they were fast. But it's the design of the place that makes it for me. Jumps into my top three with a bullet! We will be back next year.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasnt playing today, but this morning I saw a plea for a 4th to make up a team in an event at Chorlton-cum-hardy so of course I answered the call. Turns out is was the Team event of the Manchester and district ladies golf assoc.
I have never know such a start to a team event, with 2 scores to count on each hole we start off 5 points, 7 pts, 5, 5, 6, 5.
We couldn't keep that up but we did end up with 84 points which won the trophy by one point, as well as the trophy £50 each too.
Personally I played well contributing on 12 holes including 9 pars.
What did you think of the course?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A new course for me today Shaw Hill, the day did not start well, all ready to leave the house at 9am for a 10.11am tee time, I could not find my keys, looked everywhere, after 30 minutes I was starting to root through the bins, I rung up the girls I was playing with to let them know and kept searching, finally found them after a total of 45mins searching and rushed off.

I played mixed quite a few pars and several for 3 points but on 3 occasions I was on greens in regulation and 3 putted, I even putted off the green on the last.

i did enjoy the course it wasn't easy, and it would have helped to have played it before.