I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill today with another vintage golf enthusiast, a game that was delayed from Covid times.

We both decided to carry and just took short sets, I had 9 clubs, and thank goodness I only had the 9, plus a kg of water....
Walking off the first green my bag strap snapped!
I tried making another hole in the leather but half way up the second it snapped again, the leather was just too dry.

So I ended up having to carry the bag up and down the hills for the rest of the round using the grab handle, my arms must have been 3 inches longer by the time we finished and I was knackered by the end! I can't remember when a beer tasted so good.

It was a strange day weather-wise, nice and warm (too warm when you're lugging your bag!) but barely a breath of wind.

Score was patchy but the views were amazing.

View attachment 43640

View attachment 43641
Played my first ever round at Cleeve Hill

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Club Major Medal today
Course was fiery to say the least and some of the pin positions were just nasty.

Played pretty well for a net 74 and 5th place in my division, but totally messed up the par 3 10th scoring an 8, which messed with my head and I lost shots to handicap on the next 2 holes.

Could easily have had a net 68.

2 highlights for me, a birdie 2 on the 8th to put me in the 2’s pot, for the first time at Ellesborough
and a par on the tough 15 th par 5 uphill into the wind

The 98 gets reduced to 96 for HC purposes so my index reduces again from 20.3 to 19.8, so I lose a shot

Honourable draw with himself who also got net 74 and also got a 2 at the 8th

Happy days
Well played Fragger.

I need to pull my socks up by H4H - arriving at a forum meet with a handicap higher than Fragger, how could I live that down! ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Was going to play this morning but the course was under water.
Yes waterlogged,
We had so much rain overnight the ditches taking the water from the course could not cope.
Opened at 12 noon but was in my lounger in the sun by then.

Bloody weather down South, still chucking it down up here when you were ligging in the sun ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
several courses closed round here yesterday but we were open for Captain's charity open I had another good day, started on the 18th, shotgun start, which I bogeyed, then played the front nine is level, one birdie, one bogey. not quite as good on the back but stood on the 17th tee needing a par for a 5 over 77, hit a good drive and nice second but when I got to the ball it was on a nasty downhill hanging lie only knocked it forward about 20 yards then missed the green with my 4th had a long putt for a bogey 6, knocked it way past and missed the return, triple bogey 8 for a gross 80.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played last night for the handicap team in a brutal 30mph wind with gusts of 40 plus.

Stood over my ball on the 6th green and the ball was wobbling in the wind.

My partner and i played poorly really but despite being dormie 2 on the 17th tee we managed to win the final 2 holes to halve the match.

On the 17th green I had miscounted the number of shots their guy had taken so thought I had a putt to halve it and we'd therefore lose the match. So when my partner missed his par putt I nonchalantly knocked in a slippery 6 footer (literally one foot forward, not even looking at the ball) for the par.

My partner couldn't believe I'd just done it, I thought he was going to have a heart attack ?.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played in the monthly medal last night and although I didn't post my best score ever from the whites I had my best round ever. Shot 74 (had a 73 a couple of weeks ago) so my fine form is continuing. That 74 included a disastrous 10 on hole 8 where I didn't even lose a ball. :ROFLMAO: I was -2 for the other 17 holes. Score gets adjusted to 71 for handicap purposes. Some great scores last night so even with a net 68 I finished 6th and out of the money for the competition. Winner and runner both up had a net 62 (26 handicap and 19 handicap for those that watch these kind of things).

Came back in 33 (par 35) so my first ever under par back 9 at our place. Over the round I had an eagle, 4 birdies, 4 bogies and a 10. Mental round. I didn't even start that well, I was 3 over after 5 then from 6 on I started finding the middle of the face on nearly every shot. Eagled the 6th after a drive and 3 hybrid to about 8 foot and just kept playing well from there.

So the 71 gave me a differential of -0.1 and I've been cut to 4.5, just 0.1 from my target now. 6 weeks ago I was thinking of selling my gear on eBay it was that bad. Stupid game. :ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a tie this morning against a retired GP nice guy, very very steady off the tee and a good putter. Gave him 9 shots which meant he got 5 shots in the first 7 holes. I played pretty well, but didn't hole any of my birdie putts on the first 2 holes, but won the 3rd, 5 to get back
to AQ. Lost 7th with a shot after he holes a 20 fter for par and I missed my 5ft birdie. Managed to get 3 up though 8,9,10 and 11. Managed a half on 12th with a par against play with his shot. Lost 13 with a par with a shot and hit a poor tee shot on 14 cost me that as well. Hit back with a birdie on 15, lost 16 with a par with his 4 with a shot, halfed 17 and 18 to win one up. So noe innthe semis of both singles match players.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Farnham today on a reciprocal. Course in lovely condition, and very green. (y) Well worth a game if you are in the area. Got stuffed, fourball better ball, 5 and 4 despite getting 35 points individually.:(

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had an exchange day today and so played our weekly comp at Withington, it is a pretty much flat course except for the first green/2nd tee. It is 300yds longer than ours and the fairways are all tree lined, CR is par +0.9 and slope 135 so rated for me over 2 shots more difficult than Ellesmere.
Happy to report I was very straight off the tee and bar a couple of iffy shots and chips, both on the same 2 holes, I played very well and finished with 36 points, almost a full shot better than handicap.

The one pain was it is not easy to play a comp on an away course and have it as a qualifying comp, i did register for a GP round for myself but that wasn't the easiest thing to do and now I am waiting for the person who marked my card to confirm my score

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played OK but knew I’d scored poorly front 9; didn’t tot up points after 9 and asked my marker to not tell me as I wanted to put it behind me; proceeded to blob 10th but didn’t obsess over that as it didn’t compound an unknown misery that was my front 9 score (if you get my drift); then scored 20pts over remaining 8 holes.

At end my marker told me I’d scored 13pts front 9…as I actually hadn’t even bothered guessing. Interesting that not knowing my score for 9 meant I wasn’t that fussed about blobbing 10th and with that clearer head I went on to play and score well.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
77/+6 with two doubles, and back-to-back bogies with just 50yds left for my second, from the middle of the fairway :mad:

Slight tweak in the swing from last week's lesson starting to pay off. If I can cut out the doubles, and tighten up the short game, I might have a low one in me, index creeping down too, which is nice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I grew up playing at Moor Allerton. They seem to have put in a rule that 18 holes are 1 - 18, and if you want to play 9 the int's 19-27. It's a shame, as I think the best routing is 1-9 & 19-27. Glad you enjoyed it.
You don't think 10-18 are the stand out holes?

I can't remember 1-9 but I found 19-27 to be okay but not more than that. Certainly not after 10-18.